SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Winnebago

6/10/20 @ 4:59 PM
INITIAL POST
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

I don't troll. Fish mostly with jigs.  Last 4 years the walleye population is not the same as it used to be.  I wonder if this lake is dying.  Except for the pros I don't see the success we used to have.  Have noticed some of those on TV are fishing Winnebago much anymore.  Have a great day everyone.  

Displaying 30 to 44 of 92 posts
7/15/21 @ 1:01 PM
troutmaskreplica
troutmaskreplica
User since 5/14/20

Jumbee, Mille Lacs is trying very desperately to preserve their current and future walleye fishery. I applaud their efforts and agree with their new regs. Many other walleye fisheries, including the Winnebago chain, had better get with the program - if there are going to continue to be walleyes to be caught.

7/15/21 @ 12:53 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

There are so many more variables in play in MN (and Canada) than the # of rods that can be used.  

But whatever, do the work and get the rules changed.  1 rod, preferably a Snoopy pole.  No electronics or trolling motors.  Then the crying will stop.

7/15/21 @ 12:04 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Yes, it does make a difference.  If you and a couple buddies are straining the depths with 9 lines and covering 75 ft on each side of the boat, you're about 66.6% less likely to drive over a fish (theoretically).  Total harvest of fish is definitely impacted which is why MN, many other states and Ontario have more stringent restrictions. 

7/15/21 @ 11:50 AM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12

I would think 1 rod vs 3 would simply be a matter of how much time is spent on the water to get your limit? 

I only brought up the no motor trolling as another possible regulation. It would be pretty drastic and it's further down my list of options but it might be something if things get real bad.

I also saw this the other day for Mille Lacs. Multiple seasonal changes.

• Walleye: For the 2021 open water season,
    • May 15 - May 31: possession limit is one walleye between 21-23 inches or one fish longer than 28 inches. All other walleye must be immediately released.
    • June 1 - June 30: all walleye must be immediately released.
    • July 1 - July 15: walleye fishing is closed and walleye may not be targeted.
    • July 16 - September 15: all walleye must be immediately released.
    • September 16 - November 30, possession limit is one walleye between 21-23 inches or one fish longer than 28 inches. All other walleye must be immediately released.
7/15/21 @ 10:46 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

If I keep 5 walleyes (where I fish it's 3 walleyes) does it matter if I use 1 rod or 3 rods?

7/15/21 @ 8:55 AM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12

Paranoid - interesting situation but yes. Spot lock allows you to drift off of your spot but then you are using it to move via a powered system back to your spot. If your lines are in the water when this happens or you use the jog feature, you are fishing while under power.

To add: Maybe it makes a difference if you are perch fishing vs walleye fishing? Not sure how you can tell in many cases without up close inspection. 

7/15/21 @ 8:37 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

1 rod per fisherman is the way to go. Troll, jig, cast....whatever your prefe. Just do it with a single rod.

7/15/21 @ 3:30 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Jumbee so if my trolling motor is on spot loc I am trolling? The guys complaining about locators you are on the internet that not old school either are smart phones but to each his own

7/14/21 @ 7:34 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Jigs.   There was something very similar to your post that was said in the 60s when LOWRANCE came out with their “ little red box”.         Minnesota even tried to outlaw the “ fish finder” at one time.     50 years later we are still catching numbers of decent fish even with the greatly increased numbers of fishermen.      Another 50 years from people will still have the same opinions as you and I.      CARPIO 

7/14/21 @ 6:33 PM
JimiJigs
JimiJigs
PRO MEMBER User since 1/15/20

It's only been 1 1/2 seasons with the reduced bag limit, that's not enough time to evaluate its impact. The last 2 winters have been horrible ice conditions and all species got a reprieve from the usual winter slaughter. That being said, we should see an improvement soon one would think. If it were up to me, which it will never be, I would put limits on the electronics. Side imaging is bad enough, but now there's Panoptics and the likes. What's next?, sit on your couch and have a satellite find the fish before you even get to the landing?  Its not even fishing anymore, it's a video game, and the fish have no chance. That's my opinion, and I know what they say about opinions. 

7/14/21 @ 2:36 PM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12

If you are using a motor, you are trolling.

Drifting with wind or current, rowing or paddling without the use of powered motors is not trolling.

It is just my preference to jig or drift holding a rod in my hand and feeling the bite. If you need a tattle flag to tell you when to wind in that is legal but it is not my thing. Any of you are entitled to employ any legal methods you wish.

7/14/21 @ 10:50 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Trolling what does that do I pull bouncers with bow mount is this trolling or position fishing I think limit should be 5 and fish it out just like Green Bay  will be.Tournaments do nothing to the system they dont keep dinks

7/14/21 @ 10:02 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I hate trolling!!            Lake Michigan salmon dragging them in with 50# test line with a hunk of steel or plastic in front of them,  all the while the boat is moving forward.   I asked one charter captain if I could hire him to drift fish with live bait or jig for them.     He flat out said no,his job was to catch fish.    I told him I didn’t care if I caught any and he still said no.    I like salmon so I troll.      Lake Erie:  same deal, I won’t troll. If we can’t drift I won’t hire him.     Bago:   Again , same deal, I like to jig or slip bobber while anchored.   Fishing to me is not worrying about a bag limit.      But to each his own.     CARPIO 

7/14/21 @ 9:47 AM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12

Paranoid - I would never say never.  If in 3 more years the fishing has not improved or gotten worse, what will (should) be done? Personally I would be in favor of other things before a "no motor trolling" regulation was on the table; min size, slot and closed season being 3 things. 

Curious what others think:  What is the % of walleye fisherman on Bago that all they do is troll? In other words, a no motor trolling regulation would affect how many/what %? 

*FTR I am not a troller per se. I have done it and I can do it but it's not my preferred method of fishing. I probably troll 3-4 times per year.

7/14/21 @ 8:51 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

The no trolling will never happen they just made it legal to troll every where in Wisconsin and so guys running charters on Bago and the Bay are the same as Lake Mi and Sup. or why would they be different.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 92 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE