SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Winnebago

6/10/20 @ 4:59 PM
INITIAL POST
hook, line&sinker
User since 4/18/07

I don't troll. Fish mostly with jigs.  Last 4 years the walleye population is not the same as it used to be.  I wonder if this lake is dying.  Except for the pros I don't see the success we used to have.  Have noticed some of those on TV are fishing Winnebago much anymore.  Have a great day everyone.  

Displaying 46 to 60 of 92 posts
7/13/21 @ 2:54 PM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12

Any change in the regulations is going to be met with a minimum of some grumbling. If the fishing is limited in some way the surrounding businesses will feel it. If fishing really tails off those businesses will feel it anyway. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

The only changes to regulations mentioned here that would be heavily opposed is a closed season.  Who is going to show up and complain about not being able to keep 12" fish? You don't fish Bago for a trophy so a slot isn't that big of a deal IMHO.  Less rods/lines is also no big deal.

For the sake of argument I'll suggest no motor trolling as a future consideration should things not improve in the next 3 years.

7/13/21 @ 2:03 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I could see going to 2 rods statewide... tackle mfgs and retailers might howl, but they manage to do pretty good in MN with a 1 rod regulation...

...with a lake michigan/superior charter exception

7/13/21 @ 12:37 PM
Gillripper
User since 6/21/01

The walleye biologist is Adam Nickle. The sturgeon biologist position is open. They are not currently seeking to fill it. Again, You all need to educate yourself before you comment.

7/8/21 @ 9:16 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Smoke fish,  the position is vacant

7/8/21 @ 7:24 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

A few posts back there was a comment of changing fisheries biologist to one that manages Lake Erie. Comparing Winnebago to Erie is apples to oranges. Some research found Erie is 50 times bigger than Winnebago, Erie is managed by multiple jurisdictions including the Canadian side and the exploitation rate on Winnebago is 3 time higher than Erie based on percentage of population taken each year. To reduce the exploitation rate to match that of Erie would take some combination of size limits, slot limits and closed seasons. Public pushback on any of those would be great especially a closed season. Walleye population on Winnebago is reliant on several factors such as spawning success, young of the year survival rate and the amount of the food base available each year. All those plus other factors can be a roller coaster ride each year with just one of those factors being unfavorable will affect the numbers in a year class. 

7/8/21 @ 3:05 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Trolling survey just finished or I should say published, record perch hatch again for like last three years, crappies also. Let's make the lake all catch and release.

7/8/21 @ 12:36 PM
Gillripper
User since 6/21/01

Duckdog,

How many were killed at Walleye Weekend? 3,000? 2,000 1,000? How many is allowable? They killed under 700 fish this year. That's a drop in the bucket of the DNR estimated 900,000 walleye in the system. W.W. kills less than .05% of the total exploitations estimates of 44% by the general public. You all should educate your self before you throw stones. 

7/8/21 @ 11:07 AM
SMOKEFISH
User since 2/21/05

Let's get rid of our current Winnebago Walleye Biologist and replace him with a Walleye Biologist from Lake Erie!

Change starts from the top...

6/28/21 @ 4:22 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I’m not sure but night fishing isn’t allowed.   CARPIO 

6/28/21 @ 12:20 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

a recurring comment that surfaces in these types of threads is pointing to Minnesota's great walleye fishing, and they definitely have some great walleye factories like bago... no one seems to mention that MN DNR allows  1 rod only...

6/28/21 @ 10:36 AM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12

I disagree that the only thing that matters is water levels.  It certainly is 1 of several factors as far as providing habitat for eggs and hatchlings. 

Raise the water and make the daily bag 10. Let's see what happens.

6/24/21 @ 10:29 AM
Tealioitis
User since 4/5/13

I was glad to see the limit go down to three, it is a step in right direction. In all reality though we really need to shut down the spring run or at least impose some slots then. 

Walleye aren’t the only fish out there that need help now it seems. Panfish reduced bags would be a good thing out there too say fifteen with only ten of any species. Perch seemed to be cleaned out of system before they get to jumbo size. 

White Bass could use some type of bag limit too. No need to be keeping them by the bucket in this day and age. The only time they seem to show up last couple years is during the run when there concentrated.

6/23/21 @ 9:19 AM
Jumbee
User since 8/20/12

Edge - Not talking about Petenwell.  Bago was great on Sat. I was on the lake not upriver. I don't take a lot of pics of my catches as I am usually by myself and a photo of a fish lying on the floor next to a ruler isn't my idea of scrapbook material. 

Released 3 over 20" on Sat biggest was 21.5". I did keep 3 between 15" and 17.5"   Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of days where I have been skunked too. Had a lot of those early this year.

Overall I am still down on the system, I'd like to see efforts made to protect the most prolific spawners and if that means a slot and leads to more productive fishing into the foreseeable future because of it I think that would be great.

I think if we went to a 3 year trial and said no fish between 18"-22" (whatever size the DNR says are the best reproducers) can be kept at any time and then evaluate the YOY trawling report to look at what type of impact that is making and if positive then extend it 2 more years and by year 5 we could have made a major impact on the fishery.

By year 5 hatchlings from yr 1 would be what?? 17"-18" fish?? If you could regularly catch several 15" -18" fish would you mind having to throw back a 18.01" to 22"?

6/23/21 @ 1:30 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Hunter4life thanks

6/22/21 @ 3:55 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Jumbee  the battle on bago results show a completely different result about catching 18 to 22s on bago. You must be talking about Petenwell 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 92 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE