SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

3 walleye limit

3/9/24 @ 4:06 PM
INITIAL POST
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Journal sentinel reports 3 fish limit on inland lakes now.   They really don't want us to eat fish.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 92 posts
3/19/24 @ 10:48 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Well fishing my home lake for years that had a 3 walleye limit, three under 14in or two under and one over 18in.  Just did not work, pretty much every walleye between 12-13 3/4 was released to the grease.  Sure you would catch some in the 14 to 18 in slot but man those fish saw pressure.   Several years ago the limit went to three fish limit 18in minimum.   Soon after that (couple years) it is not uncommon to have 40+ walleye days with many of the fish in the 14-17 in range.  Sorting through enough to take one or two 18in fish as eaters.  It really deterred those guys looking for a bag limit of 12in walleye's, since catching an 18in takes a significant amount of effort.  And certainly improved the fishery with many catch and release in the 15-17 in range, more 18in plus fish, and I have caught more 24+ fish in the last few years then I had in the previous 15 years.  One 18in walleye is a nice meal for the wife and myself.
3/19/24 @ 9:39 AM
bass2403
User since 10/15/03
On the rock we used to have to try to get 15 inch fish ,now there a lot of fish just under 18 with some over.  The 3 fish limit is a great idea. 
3/18/24 @ 6:55 PM
an_ders
User since 5/13/20
Yeah the 18"+ minimum size limit makes absolutely no sense. Look at any lake with a slot - they almost always have a better fishery both for numbers and size.

But who knows, maybe a slot on pressured lakes in SE wisconsin would only diminish population more while providing the potential for 'trophy' fish. DNR is more qualified than me to make that call I'd hope....
3/18/24 @ 12:58 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01
The same happens on the RR/Kosh system between Fort & Newville, since the size limit went to 18" and 3 limit, three years ago. It's tough to catch a legal and when someone does get one, it goes in the box. I troll miles on the lake and river, about one in every eighty I catch is a legal, think I had 6 legal last year between 18 to 20. Needless to say I never catch my limit of legals. I kept a couple , Ma likes walleye once in a  while, perch and gills are fine for me.
3/18/24 @ 10:05 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01
The pressure on Pewaukee lake makes the Walleyes almost a "Put/ Take".
As soon as those stocked fish hit legal size,most of the time,they're not getting released. 
I don't know what size the WDNR puts in Pewaukee but feeder fish for the Walleyes before they're released costs money.
3/18/24 @ 9:53 AM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18
In places where there is little to no natural reproduction, the 3-fish limit is NOT about conservation. It is about money.

Which is fine. Anyone who has a budget knows there is no such thing as unlimited money. And unlike the feds,the state doesn't get to just print more.

However,we had several years with the WDNR trying to convince us that their proposed "3@eighteen" rule in Waukesha county lakes was about "protecting the spawners".

That was a dishonest argument.
3/16/24 @ 8:26 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
I like that slot. My place is in the seeded territory and it’s been 3, @ 15” since it went Seeded. I wish our Lake had that slot. We are not heavily (Overfished) thank goodness.
3/16/24 @ 8:16 PM
Chippman
User since 5/5/06
New Walleye slot on Chippewa River system from Eau Claire to Winter. Wi. Walleye of at least 13” may be kept, except walleye from 16” to 24” must be released and only one may be over 24” Limit 3
3/16/24 @ 3:21 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
The limit on rapalas is unlimited Carpio.   
3/16/24 @ 1:57 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
I bought 3 and especially like the perch pattern,can’t wait to try them out.
3/16/24 @ 1:08 PM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
PXR MAVERIK$   
3 walleye limit photo by fishhook
3/16/24 @ 9:18 AM
Bite Me whiners
User since 9/30/12
it used to be 10 percent of the fishermen caught 90 percent of the fish with technology Nowadays days most people can catch fish so limits need to be adjusted the days of filling the freezer are over realistically two 18-inch walleye will feed 3 people heck you go to canada you can hardly bring any back for the amount you spend so not sure why so many people are having a fit you can still have your bragging rights with the picks on your phone   
3/16/24 @ 8:45 AM
Direwolf66
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/20
10,000 + plus lakes = 10,000 + new employees to specifically make regs for each specific lake to meet our wants for a fish fry yeah seems feasible
3/16/24 @ 8:26 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I am going to buy a lake, stock walleyes and eat as many as I want. So there.
3/16/24 @ 8:25 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I have a family of four and 3 walleyes is more than enough to feed them! It doesn't bother me one bit about the new regs of 3 fish a day limit in one lake (5 total in a day).
Displaying 46 to 60 of 92 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE