SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

3 walleye limit

3/9/24 @ 4:06 PM
INITIAL POST
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

Journal sentinel reports 3 fish limit on inland lakes now.   They really don't want us to eat fish.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 92 posts
3/16/24 @ 7:56 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20
Anyway back to the thread mills lacs is catch and release which is called management. Also wi dnr needs improvement in the stocking of walleye its obviously not enough. Also like I said before different lakes need different limits Which need to be managed and changed depending on the population numbers and not just classify the whole state. Example Winnebago should have a higher limit than say wind lake in Racine because the population numbers are drastically different. 
3/15/24 @ 9:07 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
Is this a walleye thread or a thread about the next president of the Great USA? Lol
3/15/24 @ 7:57 PM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06
well said JC...saved me from having to spell that one out.
3/15/24 @ 9:46 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
PRO MEMBER User since 12/25/01
Now politics is being dragged into this conversation?
3 walleye limit photo by jumpsteady
3/15/24 @ 9:26 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"I don't get how any working class person would like a 3 fish limit, especially on lakes that can handle more.  You guys all must be rich. The cost to get out on the water alone isn't cheap."

I don't know if this was supposed to be sarcastic, but it is funny.  If you total up the amount of money it takes to go fishing - purchasing a boat, insuring a boat, maintenance/winterizing a boat, gasoline for the boat, batteries for the boat, cost to purchase rods, reels, electronics, and bait, cost of gasoline to haul your boat (if you don't live on the lake), replacing tires on boat trailer, extra wear and tear on a vehicle/maintenance, lodging, eating out, etc.....then divide that by the pounds of walleye fillets you end up with.....you will likely be in the hundreds of dollars per pound of walleye fillets. 

The only people that want to eat walleye at the cheapest price possible are those that buy it at the grocery store.

The only way you can compete with grocery store prices is if you trap your own minnows, pick your own nightcrawlers, live on the lake, own a small fishing boat, and never upgrade your rods and reels and rarely swap out your fishing line.
3/14/24 @ 8:20 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Used to hunt/fish on occasion with a couple guys who couldn't enjoy a trip unless the meat wagon was full on the drive home. No room for that mindset any more. Our resources,  in large part, can no longer support large numbers of subsistence hunters/fishermen. In order to ensure positive experiences for our kids and grandkids todays sportsmen need to harvest wisely and selectivity.  Since there are so many who are incapable or unwilling to do so, our harvest laws need to be adjusted accordingly to mandate responsibility. 
3/14/24 @ 7:28 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
I think maybe more people are simply coming around to the idea of conservation, selective harvest, and maintaining our natural resources for future generations. I don't think you have to be rich to have that mentality. ​

3/14/24 @ 11:06 AM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11
Fin bender I agree 100%. Guides should not be allowed to "gift fish".

Also I have heard of clients that will only "tip" if the guide gifts his limit. A guide needs to educate his clients on laws, conservation, and etiquette along with teaching techniques and sonar operation. 

On all regs we need more enforcement.

JMO
3/14/24 @ 9:42 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11
Agree with the limit. Finally some good news out of the DNR.

And honestly the next thing they need to work on is northern pike. But that's a different thread...
3/14/24 @ 7:57 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
Just because the regulations say you can keep 5 fish doesn't mean you have too, same thing with size limits and slots.   If you feel like the regs should be more restrictive , there is nothing stopping anyone from self regulation. I personally don't keep crappie less 10", bluegills less than 8", bass over 17" and walleyes 18"- 23" (that slot has restored the walleye fishing on a lot of lakes in Canada, they may have figured something out). I end up with plenty of fish to eat.  
3/13/24 @ 8:46 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03
3 walleyes per day times 365= 1,095 walleyes which equals 2,190 filets? U guys eat that much walleye? I will survive this new regulation. I'm lucky to catch 10 keepers a year.. I'm guessing this will help boost that#
3/12/24 @ 4:29 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
I have no issues with a 3 daily bag limit per water.  I think it's time.  Ceded territory has been there since 2015.
3/12/24 @ 3:41 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
We need better management, period.
3/12/24 @ 3:01 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
One Fine Day, what system are you referring to with a slot? Winnebago system is 3 with no minimum size. Not saying it wouldn't likely benefit from it, just not how it currently is. 
3/12/24 @ 1:34 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
It's a completely reasonable rule. One I agree with.

Now they need to eliminate gifting of walleye from guides to paying clients. Which IMO is a more sinister act. Unethical and unsustainable.  
Displaying 61 to 75 of 92 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE