SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

wood duck houses

3/9/15 @ 6:40 PM
INITIAL POST
ltrbuck
User since 1/25/11
Clean out or no? I have and have not. Seems like it does not matter to the ducks to me. Just looking for some opinions. Nice to see if they are being used or not and if the eggs hatched out or not.
Displaying 31 to 45 of 49 posts
2/21/21 @ 10:00 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

About that time to check the houses.  Last year was 18 for 31.  Hoping for continued success even though wood duck numbers seemed down again last year.  Anyone else have numbers of current year success?

4/18/18 @ 4:48 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Success down to 10 out of 32 with 2 others having large clusters of unhatched eggs (1 house had 24 eggs unhatched).  I ask the DNR about the continual smaller amount of houses getting used.  They stated wood ducks are now using natural cavities more.  You can't make this up.  They literally state that within a matter of a couple years wood ducks are back to preferring natural over man made.  Personally, at least in my area, I think wood duck numbers are way down.

2/24/18 @ 7:25 PM
humble1
User since 11/30/09

Put in fresh shavings in the boxes and ran into this guy. Once the ice is gone he won't be able to get past the predator guard.

wood duck houses photo by humble1
9/22/17 @ 8:36 PM
sh5469
User since 10/4/02

I clean mine out.  They're used annually but each year there is at least one egg that doesn't hatch and there is always egg shells and breast feathers.  Fun to make, helping the wildlife and always a guess to see if used or not.  Thanks for making them and maintaining them.  The ducks thank you too!

9/22/17 @ 4:37 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Checked out the house i built out at the farm. Had some feathers in it. Must mean the are using it. Couldn't quite see the bottom. When I put it up I was standings on ice. Now it's knee deep water. Need to build more.

4/6/17 @ 4:02 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

won't hurt anything.  But she gets in the hole just fine.

4/5/17 @ 8:21 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

figured on the front couldn't hurt. give mama woodie somewhere to hang on to better? all was made from scrap materials from work.

4/5/17 @ 4:21 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Nice looking house griz.  One question is the screen on the outside of the house and the purpose that it serves?  I understand the screen on the inside is how they get out. 

3/31/17 @ 6:24 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

got this guy out the other day. waiting for its new family.

wood duck houses photo by grizwald
3/6/17 @ 9:08 PM
boattech
User since 12/22/04

Was just at a seminar on Saturday up at Horicon on houses.  Jeff Bahl is the Wildlife technician and the president of the wood duck society.   He said that if you have houses that didn't hatch it could be from young hens laying an egg in each house and not incubating them.  They don't know what to do to take care of the egg. 

Edit:  spell check changed his name.

3/6/17 @ 5:51 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Same problems as last year.  Success in 14 out of 30 with 4 others having all unhatched eggs.  Many others had some hatched with unhatched.  Really struggling with what I can do better.  Not sure if coons are harassing the hens or starlings are getting at the eggs or if April and May cold spells are causing problems.  Open to suggestions if anyone is an expert.

3/1/17 @ 8:23 AM
Justin01
User since 3/30/13

That time of year don't forget to check them!!

3/21/16 @ 4:09 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05
Worst year ever as we were 12 for 31 this year. Some with multiple use. 3 with eggs that weren't hatched. Wisconsin Outdoor News has some good plans that are used by WWA. Otherwise google it and there are some really good plans. I do not overload an area with houses at first but I will add one until they are no longer maxed out. As far as which direction I face them all ways but I prefer facing SE to get the early morning sun to heat up the house so the hen can go get some food. I don't like facing NE because those winds can be very cold and rainy so don't want the shavings getting wet.
3/20/16 @ 6:08 PM
Justin01
User since 3/30/13
Does anyone have some dimensions on making a few , also which way is best to face them and how many is to many in one area I have 80 acres of wetlands about 12 small to medium dykees/Levi's/ponds is there such thing as to many in one area?
4/16/15 @ 4:38 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05
Definately clean as some houses may have unhatched eggs that starlings break into which stink big time. Nothing would nest in there. 15 for 31 this year. All wood ducks!
Displaying 31 to 45 of 49 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE