SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

wood duck houses

3/9/15 @ 6:40 PM
INITIAL POST
ltrbuck
User since 1/25/11
Clean out or no? I have and have not. Seems like it does not matter to the ducks to me. Just looking for some opinions. Nice to see if they are being used or not and if the eggs hatched out or not.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 49 posts
3/15/22 @ 11:51 AM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Well, last year I had 26 of 31 houses that had success with only 1 additional house that had unhatched eggs.  This year I had about the same amount of houses get used with at least 10 that did not have a single egg hatch.  Ones that did hatch all had some unhatched eggs.  I know its not me or what I am doing because of last years success.  Does anyone remember if there was some odd weather in in late April or May last year?  It was very frustrating to find up to 23 eggs in 1 house with 0 hatching.  My houses usually produce between 200 to 300 ducks per year.  I am in the middle line of the state if anyone along that line had similar problems?  Appreciate any input.

7/8/21 @ 4:05 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Fin Bender--50 yards apart is okay IF  they are not in view of each other. Otherwise that is probably too close. But I'm constantly being surprised by nature. If there are not a lot of prime nesting spots around your area they might use whatever is available to them. Everything I've read says that Woodies up north here have only one brood a year and I believe that 2 years in a row the same hen is pulling off 2 broods. So that goes against conventional wisdom.

Jim

7/8/21 @ 2:23 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11

Can someone tell me how close together houses can be placed? Is 3 houses on 150 feet of shoreline okay?

7/8/21 @ 8:03 AM
tekruzick
tekruzick
User since 12/27/14

My wood duck house is not in a easy location to check success.  I typically clean it when the ice is firm enough to walk on.  Had no success last year and have not seem any hens and chicks around.  Think I'll move it with a position facing a slough.  I was selfish facing it over the water with a easy viewing angle.  I've seem pairs below the box in the early spring, but haven't had any move in.

7/7/21 @ 6:59 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Any of you Wood Duck house builders have any success this year? I checked last week on one of my houses and it had 9 eggs covered up so that meant that there was a hen sitting on them. I covered them back up and today I checked it again and when I opened the box the hen was sitting on them. I was amazed as this is pretty late to be brooding. Last year they hatched on July 4th and here it's July 7th. The first brood this year appeared to hatch successfully as there were just shells. I'm guessing this must be the same hen from last year though I have no way of telling but being as she is trying a 2nd brood like last year, well... After these hatch, and I hope most of them do, it'll be in September before they can fly. So it's getting late. 

I hope some of you had success and thank you for your efforts.

Jim

5/12/21 @ 4:47 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Both of my houses have eggs and for sure one hen is brooding. I checked the box and she was sitting tight, wouldn't budge off those eggs. This was about 3 weeks ago so in another week or so they should be hatching. The other box when I checked it had 10 eggs but the hen wasn't brooding them yet so she probably wasn't done laying. Once she has laid what to her is a full clutch she will then start brooding them. And that is where it is hard to determine when they will hatch and on what day the chicks will jump. So unless you check the box everyday and determine when she starts brooding you won't know when jump day will occur. Approximately 28-32 days of incubation time is needed. But seeing them jump is not that important to me but rather that the hen pulled off a sucessful nest. Plus you don't want to be checking everyday--too intrusive I believe. Hopefully the other box doesn't turn out to be a dump nest like one of my boxes last year. I would wait till August or September to empty and clean the box. The one thing I'd like to stress is that you shouldn't put a box on a tree, especially if there are squirrels around. As far as buying a box you'd still be way ahead making one yourself. There are a lot of good plans online. Hope this helps. Putting a box over water is still the best bet, IMO.

Jim

5/12/21 @ 2:31 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

Ours just hatched yesterday. 

5/11/21 @ 4:18 PM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11

Thanks for the good information here. I was only able to get 1 out and was a little worried that it swayed too much. I just left it and noticed recently that it is being used. Well...I think it is as I have seen a female fly out of it in the evening 2-3 times now. Is there any kind of check ups I need to do? Or just leave it now till winter? I got the itch to get out more for next year. Has anyone found a good place to buy them? Wood prices are obviously crazy

3/16/21 @ 12:56 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

Secrets to success:  Face to the south for morning sun.  Check yearly for repairs and to get out any rotten eggs or wet shavings that can cook the eggs when it gets warm.  Put on 1 inch conduit pipes over water to keep out the varmits (although they do get in when water is iced over).  Use caulk to fill in any gaps.  Move to other areas if they are not getting used.  What looks good to you is not always what they want.  Make sure house is tight on pole.  If they are swaying they do not get used as often.  And much, much more.

3/16/21 @ 12:51 PM
duckwidow
User since 11/12/05

26 for 31 this year with 5 of the other 6 having activity.

3/11/21 @ 12:31 PM
MallardAbuse
User since 11/18/04

Last year I put out a house in the spring and had an egg laid in it 2 days later. That same box hatched two different broods.

2/25/21 @ 5:38 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

Actually, it's easier to put your "post" in the water when there's ice on the lake. You just drill your hole through the ice and then pound your ( I like to use maybe 1 inch galvanized pipe) support pole into the bottom. Your house can be secured using strap hangars and if you put it all over water you don't have to have a predator guard as we don't really have a problem with water snakes or anything. I've never had a problem with raccoons swimming out and climbing the pole. If you build your house right and size the hole like they tell you in your directions they won't be able to get in anyway. You can put the post in after ice out. It's not too late. Good for you for helping out the Woodies.

Jim

2/23/21 @ 5:31 PM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11

Interested in installing 2-3 of my own this spring. When is it "too late" to put these up or should I have done that in fall? I want to put a post in the water, but obviously ice is the problem. Appreciate any advice for a newbie.

2/22/21 @ 4:54 PM
jimbo55will
User since 1/17/07

You should definitely check your houses before iceout just to remove anything that might have gotten in over the winter. I clean mine out in August or September as many times some of the houses are used as "dump" nests. This means that maybe a couple or few hens have laid eggs in them with no intention of brooding them. I've taken over a dozen eggs (infertile) out of boxes in August. I've had Tree Swallows build over the top of the Woodies eggs and nest successfully. They'll often use a Woodie box after the Woodie chicks have left the box. You can put numerous boxes on a small pond but try to put them out of sight of each other. Incidentally, the reason some boxes become "dump" nests is actually a survival tactic. A dominant hen will try to brood all those eggs in one box even if she didn't lay them. Here is one of my boxes from last year where the hen laid a second brood and they hatched on July 4th. That would mean they probably weren't flying until about the beginning of September.

Jim

2/22/21 @ 9:37 AM
ToxDoc
User since 10/4/06

I checked mine on Saturday and was 1/2.  The empty one was on a pole that had bent 45 degrees so that might have been the problem.  I bent it straight and filled it with new bedding.  Woodies are 50% of what we shoot, so I hope the boxes are successful this year.  Can you have too many boxes on a small pothole?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 49 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE