MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS.

7/24/23 @ 6:52 AM
INITIAL POST
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

What's everybody seeing out there on this bone dry year?? Most smaller potholes are dry or just a puddle not seeing much for local hatch either atleast for ducks, some geese but very few and far between SE WI.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 139 posts
10/29/23 @ 1:00 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
I stayed in this morning and went to church.  My son and son-in-law took the boat full of dekes and went to the coordinates I was at yesterday.  They got a nice mixed variety:  pair of redheads, 2 drake goldeneyes, drake wigeon, hen ringneck, drake gadwall, and of all things considering where they were at, a hen wood duck.  The gadwall was very close to being a mounter, but not quite there.
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by SuspendedMusky
10/29/23 @ 10:34 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Tossed and turned all-night last night. Just knowing what the morning was going to be. It  didn't disappoint.
Haven't seen birds like this in the river bottoms since Fall 2016. Decoying was sub-par. Birds wanted the flooded timber over the flooded hole with decoys. I made do.
Water levels drop another foot or two. Storybook hunts are just around the corner.

2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by Fowler2
10/28/23 @ 7:32 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
Out in the honey hole again. Managed 3 gwt and a bluebill. Missed a few and passed on birds for better shots that they didn't give me. Not quite ready for this cold! Lots of gwt moving through. Passed on some drake goldeneyes. Just don't care for there tablefare. Back at it tomorrow!
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by grizwald
10/28/23 @ 7:10 PM
panks
User since 10/22/08
Great day SM.
10/28/23 @ 4:04 PM
D/M
User since 8/23/17
Had some friends that hunted last weekend near the lacrosse area on the Mississippi. They hunted Friday evening for about 5 hours they got five Birds, Saturday morning they went out and hunted for about 8 hours got 19 Birds of a mixed bag. Sunday morning went out for about 5 hours got four Birds. They are out hunting again this weekend in the same area my guess is they're going to do a lot better with this weather that has pushed in. Five Guys hunting with two dogs.
10/28/23 @ 4:00 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Good day today. Saw mallards, wigeon, gwt, bluebills, ringnecks, redheads, cans, buffs, and goldeneyes.
Dropped a pair of drake mallards from 2 different flocks.  The 2nd pair was a scotch double, one shot...2 drakes.  One was a 4 curler.
10/28/23 @ 2:37 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
Scouted today for a Sunday morning hunt. Flooding conditions put me in the skiff for ease of access. River rose a couple feet since Thursday.
The Grand flight has arrived along the Mississippi river pools. Puddlers and divers are everywhere. And on the downside, swans are migrating as well.
Should be a fun Sunday morning.
10/26/23 @ 7:34 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
I snuck up on about 25 mallards in a flooded hardwood forest pool this afternoon.  Too bad I didn't have my shotgun with me.
10/25/23 @ 2:42 PM
panks
User since 10/22/08
Ducks are educated here.  Also hope for a new push with the front coming in.  One Woody today.
10/25/23 @ 8:53 AM
MallardAbuse
User since 11/18/04
Hoping for some big movement over the next several days with the winter blast on the prairies.
10/23/23 @ 1:27 PM
panks
User since 10/22/08
Extremely wet morning for my first day back in the swamp after a week off. Saw plenty of ducks, but they were flying very high. Beginning to like the bright mornings better.
Managed one wood duck today.

Ps. I do not bait ducks with Clif bars. LOL
2023 DUCK and GOOSE REPORTS. photo by panks
10/22/23 @ 3:36 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09
Hunted both weekend mornings. New birds around. Saturday limited out by 8 o'clock. Great morning. Sunday hunted till 10:30. Managed 3. Hunted same water both days. Did see some ringers, bluebills, and my first common GoldenEye. Looking like some winter is coming for next weekend! 
10/19/23 @ 6:30 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
Evenings usually in my experiences much like most of the areas I hunt are like mornings but shorter action, evening hunts you have aprox 10 minutes right before close to get anything and then will most likely see tons of ducks after shooting time, AM hunts you may be able to push out that killing time frame to an hour then its done and onto geese.  But I agree with fowler I will usually duck hunt in am and bow hunt in pm unless ive scouted a good trickle in Pm spot were ducks are coming in at all times. 

Albeit, anytime you can hunt I always say go! you never know..

****Hunted yesterday AM and seen maybe 20 or so ducks that were passer byers and maybe 6 flocks of skittish geese, never fired my weapon. We need another N NW cold snap and winds to bring in some fresh birds.

goodhuntin all!
10/17/23 @ 7:28 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09
I haven't done any evening hunts in ages. I don't think it warrants enough flight action. Weekend mornings are my go-time. Available evenings are optimized for fair chase of the elusive Whitetail. 
10/16/23 @ 5:58 PM
panks
User since 10/22/08
Does anyone do the evening flight?  Been awhile for me.
Displaying 46 to 60 of 139 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE