SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2019 Waterfowl Reports

1/3/19 @ 7:39 AM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another year, and time to Post your Reports and stories for another great year of Hunting!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 179 posts
10/31/19 @ 11:58 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I see swans every year migrating overhead, so several hundred in most years. This year none so far I was even working outside all day yesterday.  If I recall right last year I didn't see any migrator swans until later half of November and that's typical for most years.

10/31/19 @ 10:55 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

West Central WI.

Tuesday set up wrong and it cost me, managed two greenheads, but good number of ducks seen, good mixture of puddle and divers.

Wednesday, two greenheads, two bluebill, 1 ringbill, if I could shoot better, limit was there to be had, decent number of birds observed, swans and geese migrating, ice on shore edges to 20 feet out, 21 degrees at 5:30 am

Today, two small flocks of mallards seen and decoyed, picked off three, otherwise dead. Lots of ice, 18 degrees at 5:30 am.  

10/30/19 @ 9:17 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

Griz, check your PM.

Most years I hunt all 3 WI waterfowl zones.....I am a statewide hunter.  There are 6-7 counties I frequent the most.  I love hunting the big open water.  Have even shot green-winged teal 1/4 mile out from shore on the "big pond" (LM).  Unbelievable to some....but true.

10/30/19 @ 6:44 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Suspended muskie, what county you hunt?

10/29/19 @ 9:41 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Are there many swans yet ? Family and I are going out to the river this weekend  . One year we were right on the edge of the ice forming.  Must have seen a thousand or more .

10/29/19 @ 6:42 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

A very light trickle of new birds over the past several days.  A wide variety too.  Yesterday killed 2 green winged teal and a bluebill.....missed a couple of birds also when my Benelli didn't cycle correctly.  Totally disassembled it last night, including rear spring.  Like new this morning.  Today it was gadwalls, a bluebill, and a mallard.  Missed one other bird that was within range.  Saw mallards, gads, pintails, teal, shovelers, cans, bluebills, buffs, and a goldeneye.   Also had a flock of tundra swans pass by.  

10/29/19 @ 11:53 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Whichever day has more wind would be my choice.

More migrating birds today than yesterday. More swans coming through. My shooting stunk bad today. Seen maybe 3 wood ducks. There pretty much history. 25 degrees this morning with a very light snow dusting. Hunting partner took 3 mallards and a widgeon home. Bella was wearing the vest today...brrrr

Back to work tomorrow...Boo

10/29/19 @ 7:51 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

when to hunt  tomorrow or Thursday????

10/29/19 @ 6:07 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Limit of geese Sunday morning.  Field was soupy as heck and had to walk everything in.  I did not want to get stuck on my first time out.  No ducks came close enough to shoot.  Was done early and they were trying to land in the decoys as I was picking up.  

10/28/19 @ 11:53 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Great decoy action this morning. Good chop on the water at go-time.  Flight fizzled after 8am. Bella on a rest morning. Selective shots only.  Few Woodies still around. My barrel swing could not catch up.  The Woodies flew with vengeance and bitterness. There not liking the cold temps. Gadwall and a Greenhead made the morning complete. Swan flights arriving....

10/27/19 @ 9:31 PM
walleyezhunter05
User since 3/22/05
Overall has been a very good week for killin limits of mallards down here in Illinois. Buddies have been shooting limits of honkers as well. I prefer sticking with the greenheads for now so that’s what we’ve been chasin. Seems like everyone up north is killing birds, which is always good to see! We are having the same issues with water obviously. Scouting has been paying off significantly as usual.  Congrats to everyone and be safe! Keep sendin em down to us! 

WalleyezZ 

10/27/19 @ 7:32 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Hoodies are quite common up north and they stay around until first ice.  They seem to enjoy the cold.  I could pop them from my pier but I hear they don't taste too good so I let em go.

10/27/19 @ 3:43 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Hunted a.m. on small backwater of the mighty chip. Water still high. Took two shots today. Passed on a few hens and ones I could not identify at first light. Great morning in the marsh but bring on the cold fronts!

10/27/19 @ 12:57 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Nice variety SM. Your Mergatroid looks delicious. I vote for a slowww cook in the kitchen. The aroma will be sensational.

Not half bad in the smoker otherwise.

10/27/19 @ 12:36 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

Despite less birds and lack of wind this morning, it was an awesome day to be out hunting.  Crisp, clear, and beautiful.  Actually...any day is a great one to be out.

I was fortunate to be able to bring home what you might call a "sampler plate" of WI waterfowl categories....1 goose, 1 duck (drake lesser scaup), and 1 merganser (hen red breasted merganser).  The goose will become stew, the bluebill will be marinated/grilled with other like ducks (delicious), and the "mergatroid" I will have to utilize my BIL's tried and true merg prep and marinade techniques (a multi-day event...lol).  I will hold true to my rule that if I killed it, I will eat it.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 179 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE