putzer
User since 5/29/06

Great weather for opening day 

Displaying 31 to 39 of 39 posts
10/26/19 @ 8:43 PM
Mattman_150
User since 12/2/14

Hello everyone,

This has been my first year pheasant hunting and also the first year for my new hunting partner, a 14 month old chocolate lab. That being said, we managed to get 1 bird last week near Madison. He is a great dog and is steady to gunfire but is still working on actively flushing out birds. He tends to stay really close to me when I would like him to go out ahead to cover more ground. 

Long story short, I usually hunt the Madison area on weekdays and would like to find someone else, preferably with a flushing dog, that would be open to hunting together or letting my dog run with your dog for a couple hours to watch how it’s done. Feel free to message me with any tips for getting my lab to go out ahead from me further as well. 

Good luck to all! 

10/25/19 @ 7:16 PM
Surfer
User since 6/21/01

Good luck musky fishing rpole; see you when you get back. Our "group" has hunted Bong the last three days and hunting has been good. Today, between six guys we had nine birds, similar to the other two days. It is tough going however in a lot of areas due to all the water and the vegetation is incredibly high and thick. On a side note, I did not shoot well today, so much so that my dog took out an ad on Craigslist "looking for a new hunting partner cause the old man just doesn't have it anymore". Really!!!! Well guess who will be sleeping in separate beds tonight!

GLTA

10/24/19 @ 9:12 PM
rpole
rpole
User since 6/18/01

had 1/2  hour or so this evening.  was getting dark when we got there with the clouds.  wanted to take the dog since I'll be gone for 4 days.  didn't expect anything at all, just figured we were out for a quick walk.   went off Wilton and walked fast to cover as much as possible and surprisingly he put up a bird.  not sure if they released today or we just got really lucky.  either way it was a pleasant surprise.  so-so rooster with not a single tail feather!

off 59 I thought maybe it's because of the soy beans and they're not releasing there until they're harvested?   but as mentioned, have heard very little to no shooting and not seeing people in lots, and that's being out every day this week.  

cool you got a bird ace, stinks it took 3 hours!   

took a short walk off 59 yesterday, again just to get the dog out and talked to a couple guys on my way out.   any lake-linkers?  

heading north to musky fish, good luck this weekend.  hope it's better!  I won't be out so it probably will be!  lol  good luck ace, lilygirl and everyone else.

10/24/19 @ 7:39 PM
the ace
the ace
User since 4/20/14

rpole,

Went off 59 on opening day and got a hen after 3 hours. That's all we saw and hunted with a good dog. Usually we see a lot more birds on opening day. I don't think the DNR is stocking the way they usually do.

10/24/19 @ 1:21 PM
lilygirl
User since 6/20/06

rpole,

I agree with you.  I went out sunday and I did get one hen off hwy N.  I went back out Mon Tues Wed and  to different spots off N and 59 and never seen a bird nor did I  hear much shooting.  Maybe they are doing a big release today and tomorrow???  will try again this weekend but all last year I dont think I ever went there without seeing at least one bird.  

10/23/19 @ 8:21 PM
rpole
rpole
User since 6/18/01

Super disappointing start to the season for us so far.   Anyone have any idea what's up with Scuppernong so far?   We hunted off 59, west of the junk yard like the last however many openers and didn't see a bird.   Lots of people and maybe 5 sets of shots.  When we left 2 hours later there were still cars parked out onto 59.  Never seen that on opener before.  Have been out at different areas every day this week.  Put up one bird that ran forever and jumped too far in the thick stuff.  Haven't heard any shooting and if they released there'd be people in lots, that hasn't been the case.  Not looking for a 10 minute easy hunt by any means, but a bird here and there would be nice.

oh and on a side note, every day this week I've come back with at least one deer tick on me.  they're bad!  

10/19/19 @ 7:05 PM
Kutt2
User since 10/31/15

This is my first bird of the year.

Last year I went 2 1/2 months before I missed a bird. This year I missed the first bird we put up. I throw Kent’s. To make maters worse, My  21 year old boy thinks he is now a faster gun than me. We will see. I am not getting older, yet?!!!!

10/19/19 @ 4:31 PM
Topwater Twich
User since 10/6/08

A good nose trumps bad shooting!!! With all my rusty pulls (no practice this summer, my fault) on the birds this morning I have ran my stock pile of #6 Golden Pheasants low. Curious what others are using on WI birds? 

Displaying 31 to 39 of 39 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE