MORE
Snowmobiles

Snowmobile Trail Reports

10/14/13 @ 9:04 PM
INITIAL POST
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
PRO MEMBER User since 5/17/01
This thread is for keeping you up to date on local trail reports. Below are some links to chamber snow reports:

Michigan Snowmobile Trail Conditions

Minnesota Snowmobile Trail Conditions

North Dakota Snowmobile Trail Conditions

• Devils Lake Chamber of Commerce & Tourism Office - Click Here

Wisconsin Snowmobile Trail Conditions

Feel free to add your own snowmobile trail conditions below!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 59 posts
1/4/17 @ 9:49 PM
Walleye Warrior
Walleye Warrior
User since 8/23/01

Great snowmobiling all Christmas season on the Paul Bunyan and Red Arrow Trails through Lakewood and Townend over the Christmas season.  Put on about 200 miles.  Always a great job by those groups.  Park at the Lakewood Trailhead right in downtown Lakewood and head out on the trails!  4 more inches of snow on Monday.  Trails are primo right now.  Ride if you can. 

12/26/16 @ 1:25 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Here is the 12.26.2016 trail report for the Sayner Barnstormers.  They are located in North Vilas.  I trust their reports, if conditions stink, that is exactly what they will tell you:

This will be a bad news / good news type of report. 1st – the bad news. The area received sleet, freezing rain, and rain overnight. The temps this morning rose to 38. To give you an example – I have a table on my deck that had about 13.5 inches of snow on it yesterday. This morning, as a result of the rain overnight, it is down to 6.5. What snow we had before to work with was pretty dry. Not what you need or want to form a really good base or fill holes and ruts. The good news is; the rain we got will be a blessing in disguise. This is because the temps are currently dropping again. Tomorrow’s high is forecasted to be 14. Once this all freezes down, as long as there isn’t much traffic today, will form a nice & hard crusty base. Even better news yet is that we are supposed to be getting snow on Thursday. This on top of the new crusty base will make the trails decent again. We will need closer to 3 inches for the trails to be good but if we get 3 inches – they will be way batter than they were before last night’s storm. As with before – there is more snow the further north you go – giving the groomers more to work with. We are doing the best we can with what there is. Some lakes have been marked and many have not. If you come up to one and don’t see markers – turn around – do NOT cross no matter how many tracks you might see! Just because you saw one marked and crossed – don’t assume they are all safe. Ice thickness is varying greatly. The ice was measured recently out in front of Patti’s Murmuring Waters on Lost Lake and there was only 3 inches. We still have logging going on in a few areas of our system. The operations can start or stop without notification. Even when the processors move out – trucks will still be hailing out loads of logs. Watch for logging ahead signs, logging trucks, and logging equipment. PLEASE DO NOT hassle the loggers. If they get hassled – they have the right to shut that section of trail down. PLEASE BE PATIENT and stay out of their way. Watch for signals from the loggers and follow them. They might tell you to please wait or to go around.

12/24/16 @ 1:59 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

Spoke to a bud who was up last wknd.  Better than expected, but still early conditions.  The only lake that was marked was Big Arb by Slo's Pub.  They may get some snow mid week - fingers crossed. 

12/22/16 @ 5:07 PM
beasly
User since 6/12/03

Any reports out of Vilas County? Sounds like they need some snow for the Holiday week.

8/3/16 @ 11:36 AM
SkunkonBago
User since 1/19/10

In east central WI all of the alfalfa, corn, and beans in the trails look really good. The good news is that the wheat and oats are being harvested.

2/28/16 @ 8:23 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Made it up with a buddy to Vilas this past Thursday and Friday. For the most part we found nice trails. Found the best trails north of Boulder and West into Manitowish Waters and Presque Isle. The trails to the South were not nearly as good with lots of ice and snirt. Not sure what Saturday's temps did to the trails, but if the reports are decent we'll likely head north again...
2/2/16 @ 11:04 AM
Price County Tourism Department
Price County Tourism Department
User since 9/4/02
Price County, Wisconsin snowmobile and winter ATV/UTV trails are groomed and conditions range from very good to fair. A two mile stretch of trail southwest of Phillips (Trail #80)is closed between Int. 99 & 100 indefinitely due to beaver dam removal. Forecasters are predicting a snow storm (4 to 8 inches) for our area Tuesday morning into Wednesday. The groomers will be out in full force following the storm and the trail conditions will improve. Contact us to request a FREE 2016 Snowmobile Trail Map. Email [email protected] and request a snowmobile map and provide your mailing address. [email protected] (Photos are from past years.)
Snowmobile Trail Reports photo by Price County Tourism
2/2/16 @ 8:18 AM
Steve White
User since 3/17/04
After the warm weather this past weekend the trails are garbage. With the storm coming today. Trails should be in good shape for the weekend!
1/24/16 @ 6:41 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Just got back from a 3-day sledding trip in Vilas County. Found some trails that were absolutely awesome - and some that were really bumpy and snirty (snow and dirt) It really was a mixed bag. The good trails were really good, and the bad trails were really bad. We found the trails anywhere near destination cities (Boulder Jct, Minocqua, Eagle River) were really rough. The further you got off the beaten path the better the trails got. Look at a map and find an area with few or no taverns, and that is likely where you'll find some decent riding. http://www.johndee.com/ John Dee is calling for some decent Lake effect snow the weekend after next - he's usually pretty good.
1/12/16 @ 4:27 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I had ok trails (not dirt at least) in NE Price County last week, but they supposedly got a few more inches now and they should be a little better. I was the first one down one of the trails, as I was coming back the truck that was opening the gates was in front of me. Tounge Out Being the first one around sort of helps, it was mostly fresh snow for me.
1/4/16 @ 8:13 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
Found the same thing on the Sayner Barnstormers trail report...
1/1/16 @ 8:47 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
We had a New Year's snowmobile trip planned but decided to cancel as Vilas County does not have very much snow yet - the trails are open though. I read the 1st snowmobile report of the year on the Sayner Barnstormers webpage. Here is how the report started: The first 3 things to know: 1) Lakes are not yet safe 2) Stay off the lakes 3) Do NOT attempt to cross any bodies of water 4 sleds have gone down in open water in Oneida County since yesterday.
12/31/15 @ 9:58 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I saw that Vilas County opened their trails yesterday. St. Germain area trails look to be open as well. Sugar Camp and Rhinelander are still closed. The website stated that the ice on the lakes aren't quite thick enough so it's great that the storm went south of Oneida County. The lakes should firm up this week with lows in the teens and single digit temps on Monday night. Bring it on!
3/12/15 @ 8:18 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
We were up on the Wolf River last weekend. With the forecast calling for a high of 66 tomorrow, I can't hardly believe we were snowmobiling last weekend. The river was great, but its all over now. Now we're looking forward to Spring fishing.
2/21/15 @ 7:19 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
We were up in Oneida County last weekend and trails simply could not have been any better. No ice, no bare spots, no dirt, all nice, white, and hard packed. My buddy just got back from a Land O Lakes, Conover, Boulder Junction trek and had a similar report - trails were great there too! Leaving the house for a quick Wolf River run. Should be a fun ride with my kids and some buds. We'll be riding from Tustin to Shiocton and everywhere in between...
Displaying 16 to 30 of 59 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE