MORE
Recipies & Cooking

What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
INITIAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
PRO MEMBER User since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by Gator43
Displaying 30 to 44 of 427 posts
1/5/24 @ 12:40 PM
Esox JJ
PRO MEMBER User since 6/4/05
Shouldn't have opened up this thread. Now I'm hungry.
I'm thinking about getting an electric smoker. I have a propane one now. It's hard to control  a steady temperature sometimes with wind blowing and air temperature. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good electric smoker?  
1/5/24 @ 11:44 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
Ok
1/4/24 @ 11:24 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
44/45, one of the causes of casing shriveling when making summer sausage is how much air passes through the smoker during the smoking process. This air turnover draws out moisture causing the shrinkage. Another factor is the time in the smoker. After 2-3 hours of smoking at 120°F the meat will no longer absorb any more smoke flavor. Raising the temperature to 180°F and getting the sausage to 152-155°F internal temperature then reduces the cooking time and reduces the amount of shrinkage. Also the cold water bath stops the cooking process quickly helping to retain moisture and reduce shrinkage. 
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by eyesman
1/4/24 @ 7:57 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
Made my first batch of summer sausage this past weekend. My sausage always gets a shribbly/shrinkage appearance when done. I air  this time because of the temps instead of the ice bath. Same results. Casings were stuffed tight. Only a small amount of water added. Anything I can do different?
1/1/24 @ 11:34 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
IFB-  Those are some meaty venison dogs. Look great.Same with that good looking rack of ribs from SetterJ. Always a favorite of mine.  
Smoked some rainbow trout from Lake Michigan yesterday for a get together today. Never lasts very long.
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by kona77
12/31/23 @ 6:58 PM
setterjack
setterjack
PRO MEMBER User since 1/18/07
Last smoke of the year was a good one! Looking forward to 2024 ​!! 
Peace
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by setterjack
12/31/23 @ 6:57 PM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01
20 pounds venison hot dogs.  Highly recommend ordering seasonings from Curleys.
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by IceFishBaby
12/31/23 @ 12:19 PM
setterjack
setterjack
PRO MEMBER User since 1/18/07
Just put a rack on the smoker. I'm using a charcoal smoker. Gotta babysit a little more at 32 degrees outside. 
Happy New Year everyone!!
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by setterjack
12/15/23 @ 10:22 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
I have smoked numerous prime ribs. If frozen, let thaw in fridge for a couple days before the smoke. For seasoning I use a brand called Jim Baldridge/Secret Seasoning (can buy on Amazon). Have also just applied salt/pepper/thyme/roseamary etc. Your preference.  I smoke at 205 until the meat hits 127-130 degrees (medium rare). Usually takes 4.5 to 5.5 hours in my smoker. I will then put under the boiler in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the fat cap. Always turns out great and as good as any restaurant prime rib I have ever had.   

12/14/23 @ 11:02 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08
Anybody have a good recipe for standing rib roast or prime rib if you wanna call it that thanks
11/18/23 @ 8:02 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
A little late in posting. Did up some venison a week ago. Summer sausage, hot sticks, kielbasa and bacon from ground meat. 
11/17/23 @ 11:21 AM
fishhook
fishhook
PRO MEMBER User since 9/16/01
Smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs on my Traeger yesterday.

Turned out,& tasted great! Vacuum packed four, 1/2 rack ribs dry, for my winter dining pleasure.

1) pre smoke

2) 3 hours into smoking process

3) post smoke (6 hrs total)
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by fishhook
10/2/23 @ 12:06 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Over the weekend I tried to smoke a meatloaf with some venison and ground pork. I made a number of mistakes.  The pork did not mix in well with the ground venison. It stayed in clumps. I should've broken it up more because when we were eating it you could tell where the venison and the pork was. It did not stick together well.  As I sliced it it broke apart. I'm pretty sure this is because my heat wasn't high enough. I struggled keeping my smoker grill above 300 degrees.  I should've used my other grill that I can get a higher temperature. Had some good smoke flavor to it, but I wasn't able to finish it on the smoker. I had to bring it in and bake it in the oven for about 15 minutes to finish the meatloaf. Good flavor, but not one of my best meatloaf I've made. 
9/29/23 @ 8:19 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
A couple racks of baby backs. 
9/26/23 @ 12:48 PM
JDs Customs
User since 9/16/20
Looks delicious birdboy……coming over ;)
Smoked a Mountain of my 3rd generation homemade Polish/ Kielbasa recipe, + a few smoked cheddarwurst.
What have you smoked lately?  Q-view... photo by JDs Customs
Displaying 30 to 44 of 427 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE