MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Bacon!

3/24/18 @ 9:25 AM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I smoked a cured 5 lb. pork belly yesterday.  The brine was a dry rub of a salt, brown sugar, nutmeg and thyme mixture.  I coated the belly in raw apple cider vinegar before applying the rub.  I let it cure in the brine for 5 days flipping it in the liquid that formed daily.  I smoked it until the internal temp was 150 degrees F.  Took about 3 hours with the wind yesterday.  I used a blend of pecan and apple woods.  Mmmmm!  Bacon!

Bacon! photo by BugleTrout
Displaying 46 to 60 of 60 posts
11/3/18 @ 11:37 PM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12

Today's finished product 

11/1/18 @ 8:06 AM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

I have tried this a few times now and this seems to be the best brine recipe I can find. I did cut out the maple syrup because it makes the outside edges burn easily.

11/1/18 @ 7:48 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I've never brined a ham, only bacon.  And I don't use the pink salt, just sea or pickling salt.  Once the bacon is cured and smoked, it keeps in the freezer for months.

But I do believe that I've seen the pink curing salt at Festival Foods here in Green Bay.  Might want to check there if you have a Festival in Ripon.

11/1/18 @ 6:25 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Well, butchered a hog and I'm going to give it a whirl on smoking up some bacon and hams. I can't seem to find a store that has the pink curing salt. Anybody around Ripon area have any ideas?

9/1/18 @ 7:10 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The “brine” starts out as a dry rub with the exception of the cider vinegar.  The brine forms as liquid is drawn from the pork belly.  It is never fully submerged and has to be flipped over daily.  I never measure the vinegar.  I slather it on to the belly before I apply the rub mix.

I have 10 lbs of belly curing as we speak.  I plan to smoke it over pecan on Labor Day.

This is the site that I use as a guideline...

Bacon!

8/31/18 @ 8:44 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Bugle,

Was the belly submersed in the brine? How much apple vinegar did you use?

8/28/18 @ 1:00 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I did another round of bacon a few weeks ago.  I only brined it 3 days and it came out much less salty.  I also bought an electric slicer.  Boy was that an improvement over hand-cutting 10 lbs of bacon!

8/27/18 @ 8:37 PM
Koon44
User since 5/22/14

You tube BBQ pit boys recipe pork belly bites

6/11/18 @ 9:15 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Are you slicing your bacon with a knife?  You are brave!!  I love home smoked bacon sliced thick.  I do about 15 slices to a package.

3/25/18 @ 10:57 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

We had a pack of the bacon for breakfast this morning. It's definitely on the salty side.  For a slab in the 4-5 lb range, I'd recommend a shorter soak in the brine.  Next time I'll try three days.  It's not terrrible, just a bit salty in the thin ends.  I made a pot of bean and bacon soup with the ends and thicker pieces and it rocks.  Good smoky flavor and I didn't have to add a grain of salt.

3/25/18 @ 7:01 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Costco. This one was originally a 8 lb belly but I used some of it for other recipes.

I've also smoked pork bellies that were not cured. I rubbed them with rib rub and cut them into one inch cubes they make great snacks.  I'm sure I posted it here somewhere.  If not, shoot me a message and I'll get you the recipe.

3/24/18 @ 3:05 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Bugle;

That looks delicious.. I have been looking at smoking a pork belly and just waiting to find good price at my local Costco.. Can I ask where you bought your pork belly??

Displaying 46 to 60 of 60 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE