MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Bacon!

3/24/18 @ 9:25 AM
INITIAL POST
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I smoked a cured 5 lb. pork belly yesterday.  The brine was a dry rub of a salt, brown sugar, nutmeg and thyme mixture.  I coated the belly in raw apple cider vinegar before applying the rub.  I let it cure in the brine for 5 days flipping it in the liquid that formed daily.  I smoked it until the internal temp was 150 degrees F.  Took about 3 hours with the wind yesterday.  I used a blend of pecan and apple woods.  Mmmmm!  Bacon!

Bacon! photo by BugleTrout
Displaying 31 to 45 of 60 posts
1/11/19 @ 8:46 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Haha thanks for that encouragement, Edge! I like bacon too much to give up after one batch. Picked up another 10# of pork belly yesterday so I'll be starting a new batch soon. Trial and error!

1/10/19 @ 9:57 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Personally  I would guess it was the rinse, but not sure on your cure recipe. Zep and Bugle are the captains on this thread. Still you tried and that's the main thing, you are going to turn into a bacon God in no time!! 

1/10/19 @ 12:44 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

zep - so you're thinking the saltiness is due to not washing it good enough vs curing it too long? Or a combination of both?

1/9/19 @ 4:39 PM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

Kev. I will use a small brush and scrub the brine off the bacon before smoking. Otherwise yes it will be salty. I just did 5 bellies that turned out well, not salty. We can't eat store bought any more. Washing will also remove the sugars that will burn around the edges when cooking.

1/9/19 @ 1:45 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Zep made a post a couple pages back. He rinsed, then cut off a little to fry up. If it's too salty rinse again and repeat. Won't wreck the whole batch from being too salty.

Learn,learn, learn. I sliced mine a little to thick. Doesn't shrink like store bought

1/9/19 @ 12:46 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Made 10 pounds of bacon for the first time last week. Used a curing mixture from a local butcher. Cured for 5 days and then split up into 3 different groups: plain, bourbon and bourbon maple and continued curing. I thought I read somewhere that you can't "over-cure" pork belly but I think I was mistaken. I ended up curing it for 11 days because I didn't get a chance to smoke it until then (1.5" thick belly) and after smoking it at 200 degrees for 3 hours over apple wood chips on Sunday, I made some last night and it is overly salty. Great flavor, but very salty. Maybe I didn't rinse the belly enough between curing and letting I form the pellicle? Not sure but next time I won't cure it as long to see if that helps. Haven't tried the bourbon or bourbon maple yet to see if it affected the flavor.

Are there different ways to flavor the bacon or did I do it right by just adding it to the ziplock bag it was curing in?

Anyone have any issues with the saltiness too? I'm not sure if I started out with too much salt, over-cured, didn't rinse, etc.

Definitely a learning experience I'll be trying again!

12/15/18 @ 6:00 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Saw some posts about venison bacon that looked interesting so I decided to give it a try. 

Used a 60/40 mix of venison/pork and the bacon seasoning from PS.. Smoked at 120 for 2 hours and then at 175 for 2.5 more hours until the meat hit 145. Used cherry wood.

Finished product turned out OK but I thought it could have used some different  seasoning to give it more flavor or kick. Will be good to use for a variety of uses (breakfast sandwiches, BLT's etc).. 

12/7/18 @ 2:45 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

doing a fresh ham as I type. just a rub, no brine.

smoking with apple. practicing for Christmas!!

12/7/18 @ 2:39 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Dodger,

I did Zeps recipe and it was very good. I did mine in 3 sections because of size and the only size bags I could find was 2 gallon.

the only thing I will do different is when slicing bacon. I will slice thinner because of less shrink when frying. I used apple wood and it gave it a nice flavor.

good luck 

12/6/18 @ 7:20 PM
dodger
dodger
User since 9/3/01

Bugle, Zep and others. Absolutely Beautiful. We bought a hog from my cousins farm. We butchered and packaged the meat ourselves. 

We have about 17 pounds of belly for smoking. 

I would appreciate any tips and suggestions.  I want to do a wet brine. By the way the meat has been in the freezer for a month now.

Thank you !

11/30/18 @ 9:58 AM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

Eyesman 

That's how we make our venison bacon. Get our seasoning from P&S seasoning in Ironridge.   You won't be disappointed.  Great for blts

11/23/18 @ 9:40 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Thanks zep for recipe and thanks bugle for the tips. Bacon turned out really good for a first try!! This will be my new game for awhile

11/23/18 @ 7:40 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Looking for tips and comments on making venison bacon. Will be making the type using ground venison. My plan is a 50/50 mix venison/pork. Season mix I have says to mix meat and seasoning, place in pans, age in fridge 24 hours then smoke. I plan on using 9x13 cake pans, smoke at 100/110 degrees three hours with applewood smoke. Finish at 160 degrees till internal is 145 degrees. Cool and slice with a meat slicer, place slices on wax paper and vacuum seal a pound at a time. Input?

11/22/18 @ 11:21 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I go with the grain.

11/22/18 @ 10:56 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Do you slice with the grain or against

Displaying 31 to 45 of 60 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE