SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Worst...winter...ever

2/9/23 @ 8:09 AM
INITIAL POST
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08
I think with the rainstorm this morning, we can safely say this has been the worst ice season ever. I mean really...it's brutally warm for all of December, gets cold for Christmas for 4 days, then gets brutally warm again for a solid month. Then gets cold again for 3 days, now it will be warm again for the rest of winter. Awful. Need to put this season out of my head ASAP!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 161 posts
2/21/24 @ 10:21 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I just know the lakes that I fish. And they all have really good ice right now. I’m sure there are very dangerous situations out there though. Current. Springs. Lakes that just don’t produce  good ice, etc.… gotta know what you’re doing with conditions like this.
2/21/24 @ 8:51 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01
The death in Price county had nothing to do with ice thickness.   Dude cut a carousel in the ice and then drove a utv across it.
2/21/24 @ 7:12 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01
Reports are all over the place for ice depth. Local paper reported 4 ATV/UTV through  the ice in the last week or two. I death. Price County.
2/21/24 @ 7:01 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Crazy warm up is here in the northwoods… 
We have 12 inches now from reports I’m hearing... Definitely concerning with the warm-up and sunny weather coming. I will rest on this hope though. Here are the lows for the next 10 days……24, 25, 7, 5, 23, 26, 28, 8, 6, 13

2/18/24 @ 8:24 AM
Gill 1774
Gill 1774
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/03
Tichigan nearly all open.  Good news. Although this comes from a guy that doesnt ice fish I just like to see open water. 
2/11/24 @ 1:39 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Ice is in great shape up north. 
2/10/24 @ 10:39 AM
nestingloon
User since 9/20/09
Latest on ice conditions ​
2/10/24 @ 7:33 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
Great winter, saving on heating the house, easy travel, hardly any time spent clearing driveway, more time for fishing, fishing has been better than other years, easy travel on the lakes, lack of pressure on the lakes, comfortable temps for fishing, been outstanding.
2/9/24 @ 9:33 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
We will have ice into April I would think. The two lakes I was at last week had 11 inches of ice. The warm up didn’t affect much it would appear as far as melting. 
Now, the cold should push those lakes to 15 inches. Even if we have near average temps for the next month plus.., ice should continue to grow. But, this winter has been anything but normal. We will see. It takes a lot to melt ice and if that ridiculous warm up didn’t melt much where I fish. I can’t see things going anywhere for a while. Just my opinion. 
2/9/24 @ 6:24 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
Good story GMan. It happens every year on the big bodies of water. Maybe every year. 
At least I know our bay doesn’t have anywhere to float off to. It would have to go through a channel to hit main lake. (Small 200 acre). 
You better hope somebody gets a signal on their phone once you go floating. 

2/9/24 @ 3:31 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
With temps up north supposed to be below freezing for highs next week and lows in the single digits to teens and no to very little snow I think it is possible to have ice up there until early April. Down south though, no that ice is more than likely done for the year. I'm going ahead and calling this the worst winter I've experienced in my 44 years of existence!
2/9/24 @ 2:50 PM
FishChip
User since 2/2/17
Ice well into April? I'll take that bet, you name the ante.

At this rate I think the ice is in question to make it through the first week of March let alone another 40 days beyond that. I've found ice from 5-10" in Vilas county. And that was last weekend before the week of sun and 50s.
2/9/24 @ 2:15 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
ICE RESCUE GREEN BAY

Some folks had to be rescued yesterday.
2/8/24 @ 6:53 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
Tornado touch downs tonight, rock, Jefferson ctys. As if this winter wasn't strange enough.
2/8/24 @ 7:11 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Pike I've been thinking the same thing - the ice held up surprisingly well through all this warm weather. Still nothing super cold in the forecast, but with no insulation if we get a 2 week stretch with highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits (which really isn't unrealistic at all), we could easily be sitting on ice well into April.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 161 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE