SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Why do people use 8+ inch holes

1/9/20 @ 9:10 AM
INITIAL POST
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
please explain why one uses a 8 inch or larger hole.  Pike fisherman need not reply.

I swear some of those holes people punch on those lakes...I'm shocked kids haven't drowned or there a thread about "lost my vexilar" down the hole.

Displaying 61 to 68 of 68 posts
1/9/20 @ 9:54 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

My Ion is an 8" and i bought it because i fish both tipups and panfish and wanted one auger.  I have a 6" hand auger that I use early ice for panfish and if I only fished panfish I'd probably go 6" even though a rare 15" crappie is a tight squeeze through one.  I think the main thing is people don't want multiple augers for multiple things, or can't justify the money to do so at least.  

1/9/20 @ 9:18 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

For me, I fish for pretty much anything so like the versatility of the 8". Is it enough to swallow a small foot, yes (as my daughter can attest). Vex/Marcum? Nope! I originally wanted a 9" or 10", but in hindsight am glad it's only 8". I've used others' old 6" holes while hopping around from time to time, and maybe I'd get used to it if it was all I fished through, but they do seem small. 

Displaying 61 to 68 of 68 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE