SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Why do people use 8+ inch holes

1/9/20 @ 9:10 AM
INITIAL POST
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14
please explain why one uses a 8 inch or larger hole.  Pike fisherman need not reply.

I swear some of those holes people punch on those lakes...I'm shocked kids haven't drowned or there a thread about "lost my vexilar" down the hole.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 68 posts
1/9/20 @ 7:13 PM
waterwolves
waterwolves
User since 6/15/01

Because I can

1/9/20 @ 7:09 PM
Lake bum
Lake bum
User since 3/28/18

Because it work's for me and what I prefer. I could argue it the other way asking why people using a 6" K-drill pop 30 - 40 or more holes a day, I'm sure because it's what works for them.

1/9/20 @ 5:34 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I have caught 14 inch crappie thru 6 inch holes no problem. A buddy of mine once pulled up a 16 inch speck thru a 6 inch hole I drilled for him. I too would like to know where Fantom is catching these monster crappie that need 8 inch holes! 

Legendary ice fisherman Dave Genz uses a 6 inch auger for all his pan fishing. He was once quoted as saying he wished he could hook a crappie so big, he couldn't get it thru his 6 inch hole, but it hasn't happened yet. I have seen magazine articles where he caught 17 inch crappie thru his 6 inch holes. But he has a heck of a lot more experience and talent than most of us. I'd prolly lose a 17 inch crappie trying to get it thru my 6 inch hole

1/9/20 @ 4:59 PM
Jeff Bolander
Jeff Bolander
User since 8/25/13

most folks that i talk to or sell to that use 8+ inch holes is because it cuts down on locator entanglements when bringing the fish up thru the hole.  i personally don't care for them as i have twisted my ankle pretty good in them a few times.  ouch.  personal preference for sure.

1/9/20 @ 4:51 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Fantom,  where do you fish crappies?  Send me the info over PM please.

1/9/20 @ 3:28 PM
Alternative Reefer
User since 5/4/18

I have a 7.5" kdrill(8").  When a gill touches both sides it goes in my bucket.  Just Kidding.   I fish walleye, pike, perch and gills.   Only have one auger.  

1/9/20 @ 3:07 PM
fantom
fantom
User since 12/24/10

I use an 8" hole because I want to be able to get the fish that I catch through it. 90% of the fish I catch would fit through a 6" hole, but we get some really big fish sometimes unintentionally. This year already I caught 2 large pike on a rig that I was trying to catch perch on. I also caught a 18" and 20" bass jigging and with 4 pound test it was nice to be able to use a gaff so I didn't break my line. We also catch crappies that don't always fit through an 6 inch hole. I really don't see the need for a larger hole than 8" but this is America and we should all have a choice so long as it is legal. Be safe and tight lines.

1/9/20 @ 2:53 PM
trap1
User since 4/26/02

I use a 6 in Lazer with a Milwaukee powerhead. Most places I feel won't produce a 13 pound walleye. On the great lakes fisheries I do like an 8 inch because you may need the circumference for several different species that swim down there. It also provides a better sight fishing view. When the ice is thick with a vehicle I will use an 8 inch gas auger. Its the size of the stovepipe that goes thru the floorboard of the vehicle. If it was just Winnebago walking ice I agree a 6 inch is the perfect size. An 8 inch is more versatile if your going to only have one auger. Sometimes under the correct conditions I like to put a 4 inch hole next to the 8 inch hole for the transducer. A spud bar is really all you need but it spooks fish. 

1/9/20 @ 11:15 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Because I love freedom and believe in personal responsibility.

1/9/20 @ 10:58 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

my uncle claims he likes to drift  :)

1/9/20 @ 10:54 AM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

because thats the size auger i bought. 

1/9/20 @ 10:47 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

When it gets cold, holes start backfilling, I love 9" holes for walleyes at night.

1/9/20 @ 10:25 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

I prefer 9-10" holes. seems like fish don't tangle in transducer as much, tip up fishing, also I have a permanent shack and the bigger holes don't freeze up to the point of recutting holes as fast.

1/9/20 @ 10:24 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Another reason I like the 8" over larger is my round Frabill tip ups would basically just be floating in the hole. As it is, they just cover the hole. 

1/9/20 @ 10:14 AM
KOWZDEER
User since 4/25/09

I have a 6 inch auger off of a clam plate and Milwaukee drill. 

I was hole hopping and found someone's abandoned 10 in hole. It felt like I was open water fishing after fishing 6 inch holes. I can see why people would like it. More room.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 68 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE