MORE
Ice Fishing

Things that people do that's annoying while ice fishing

12/5/20 @ 7:14 AM
INITIAL POST
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I'll start by saying I can't stand when lake property owners think they own the lake. I'll give you a example fishing golden lake Waukesha it's public lake with public launch so fished from 12-6 did pretty good but right at dark the property owner where we where fishing 40 yards from shore comes out on his ATV with plow and plows circles around two of my tip up s and cover ing them in over a foot of snow it's like I said property owner thinks he owns the water 40 yards from his shore. So keep them coming on things people do while ice fishing that annoys you.

Displaying 46 to 59 of 59 posts
12/7/20 @ 1:09 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

The guy who drove up to within 20 ft of me in his full size pickup truck and asked me how thick the ice was. The ice was rippling and water pumping out of my hole. I told him it was 8 inches where I was. Without a word, he flys off to the launch and leaves. Nice guy.

12/6/20 @ 11:31 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I've had lake front property owners come out and ask me to show them my fish and check my tip ups to make sure I'm doing everything legally which if they're not the warden is none of their business 

12/6/20 @ 10:58 PM
missedagain
User since 6/1/14

Bugle I second that. My other favorite is the parking lot snoopers who sit and watch for anyone getting action after dark. I’m on Big Green last January and was getting some flags after dark but they were in a grab and drop mood. I see a truck pull in to the lot and sit there for about 45 minutes. They eventually leave and come back a couple hours later with 2 quads and a small wheel house. A holes drove around my spread for an hour drilling nearly 2 dozen holes. They finally put tip ups in and quieted down. Albeit less than 40 yards from my tent and 10 yards from two of my tip ups. Only highlight was pulling up a keeper eye in front of them. Bite died after that. 

12/6/20 @ 9:42 PM
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
Bigpike1
User since 2/28/02

Farting.

Dude was up wind and kept farting.  And did it stink! I thought I was gonna puke. I had a little up chuck in my mouth and as I was swallowing it back down dude farted again and I blew chow all over my helix. I don't fish that lake anymore 

12/6/20 @ 9:37 PM
wi river rat
User since 4/2/02

When guys set several tip ups in the North Triangle or Monona Bay "claiming" large areas in these community spots.  To be honest I rarely see anybody catching fish on the tip ups in these areas.  Ready for ice although the open water fishing has been very good lately.  Rat.

12/6/20 @ 4:04 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

The wife and I were fishing last year. I’ll usually bounce around til we either locate fish or start catching fish then I’ll drill a dozen holes in that spot so we can hole hop. If guys come by asking questions I’ll usually tell them “I drilled all these holes but ur welcome to fish them if you’d like”.  Well my wife caught a couple fish and the next thing I know this dude is fishing in a hole so close to her she could see his bait on her Vexilar which made it super awkward for her. My wife has really gotten good at triggering fish to bite and the best part is she kept catching fish and the guy couldn’t even get a bite!  He moved on after 20 minutes. We had a good laugh about that one!

12/6/20 @ 3:55 PM
Motts67
User since 3/14/20

I hate when slobs leave their garbage on the ice and in the holes. Also, when they leave undersize fish laying all over the ice. And when they spit their sunflower seed shells wherever they've been fishing. Just a few of my pet peeves.

12/6/20 @ 3:39 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The doofus who comes trudging out on the ice right at sunset and starts drilling holes for the evening walleye bite screwing it up for everyone who is all set and ready. 

12/6/20 @ 11:46 AM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

Bemi... , the next post will be, when my auger won’t start and the guy next to me won’t help me with a couple of holes after I just drove an hour to the lake.  LOL

12/6/20 @ 11:45 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I’ve had people come up and put their line in my hole as I was unhooking a fish!     Also,  when I’m walleye fishing and get a tip up some clod will come up stomping on the ice or in an UTV to see what I catch which now would be nothing.   CARPIO 

12/6/20 @ 12:07 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Or the guy who doesn't take care of his auger and is out there doesn't know where he's going then tries starting his gas auger pulling and pulling while we are in our pop up lmao then they come over and say can I borrow your auger and I am like no but couple times I felt bad and drilled holes for them.  but if you can't maintain a gas auger get electric . 

12/5/20 @ 11:53 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I've even had guys open my pop up shanty and go catching anything just have him a mean grin and he left with no answer. Also snowmobiles or ATV riders who  remind me of jet skis in open water they are on 3000+acre lake but they always seem to want to weave through your trip ups and zoom close to my shanty I am just waiting for some dummy to drive right into my pop up. I use my atv or snowmobile as long as the ice is good but I also slow down and drive around others it's like just use common sense. Another episode was on poygan lake about 15 years ago was in a permanent fish house and 5 guys on snowmobiles zoom right by the fish house then drove over all 3 beaver dam tip ups breaking the wood on 2 of them in the middle of the day. I also love when guys see you caught fish and they are in your exact spot the next morning. Just makes me laugh this is the whole reason I only fish 3-10 hours from Milwaukee on lakes and rivers with sometimes less than 3 groups or none. se Wisconsin lakes some people just have no respect like littering on the ice what a joke especially Waukesha or Racine county when I would fish these lakes wound up filling a small garbage with other people's garbage propane tank s beer cans cardboard wrapper s etc. 

12/5/20 @ 10:20 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Fish are annoying when they dont act the way I want.

12/5/20 @ 3:31 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

I have a friend who is a guide and he has actually had people push his shanties back so they could fish the holes he had drilled inside or actually open a unlocked door and fish right inside his shacks . And when he confronts someone about it the response almost always is you don't own the lake. No one owns the water that doesn't mean you have disrespect someone or have no common courtesy for fellow anglers. Good luck fishing everyone and stay safe out there!

Displaying 46 to 59 of 59 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE