MORE
Ice Fishing

Things that people do that's annoying while ice fishing

12/5/20 @ 7:14 AM
INITIAL POST
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

I'll start by saying I can't stand when lake property owners think they own the lake. I'll give you a example fishing golden lake Waukesha it's public lake with public launch so fished from 12-6 did pretty good but right at dark the property owner where we where fishing 40 yards from shore comes out on his ATV with plow and plows circles around two of my tip up s and cover ing them in over a foot of snow it's like I said property owner thinks he owns the water 40 yards from his shore. So keep them coming on things people do while ice fishing that annoys you.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 59 posts
12/8/20 @ 3:38 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

People who chuck a rock out on the ice to check the lake's ice thickness! Like a rock is anywhere near your weight, or even inertia for that matter when tossing it up into the air and having it fall on the ice!

12/8/20 @ 11:06 AM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I can't stand when people leave the garbage on the ice... beer cans, spit cups (if they even used a cup), cigarette butts, carcasses, etc.

I'm the opposite about other people "crowding."  If somebody is dumb enough to fish where I am, they can usually expect a slow day.  Plus, I'm so impatient that I'm moving around all the time, anyway.  Makes no difference if they want to follow me or take my old holes.  I got there first, I get my choice of hole.

I'm a lot less patient with being crowded on open water.  I've had boats cut me off when I was clearly working a bank.  But that's when you're moving.  Ice fishing is much more stationary and you're not casting toward anything, so you really don't need a ton of room once you get your spot picked out.

That being said, I try to give people their space as much as possible as a courtesy.  There's  a big difference (in my mind at least) than just one small group and getting close to them (which I avoid) and seeing multiple large groups in a community hole (I'll get a little closer here since obviously that's the thing to do).

12/8/20 @ 10:31 AM
ice-it
PRO MEMBER User since 12/27/04

A love it - hate it situation when a hot girl is fishing near me. Difficult to concentrate on what I went out onto the lake for.

12/8/20 @ 10:05 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Very little annoys me while ice fishing because I'm in my happy place.  I do love fishing near others and having conversation.  But every once in a while I enjoy putting my music up a little louder and getting away from crowds.  If I hear people setting up near me when I'm in the middle of nowhere that can annoy me a little, but still, I welcome others because their intent is the same as mine generally - to catch fish.

Dog pissing on your shanty, yah I've had that happen a couple of times, including my own dog, so that definitely annoys me too.

12/8/20 @ 8:55 AM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

Only thing that annoys me is dogs running wild.   Pissing on my truck tires, buckets, tip ups and pop up shack.  It’s always nice to to fold your shack up with urine on the corners, but even better when you open it the next time.

12/8/20 @ 8:16 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

My thoughts exactly Walleye Master. Guess I just go out and fish, I could care less what's going on around me. 

12/7/20 @ 9:02 PM
LJ Walleye Master
LJ Walleye Master
User since 9/6/13

Boy you guys are touchy, glad I don’t ice fish anymore

12/7/20 @ 7:38 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

People that see where your fishing and pull there permanent shacks out and place them within 10 to 20 yards of your shack and drill holes in a 50 yard radius around their shacks basically on top of your spread and act like your crowding them. I actually had a guy last year come out as i was finishing drilling my holes and as i was setting my last tip up come walking over screaming at me that he drilled the hole and i was stealing it and when i pointed out the hole he actually drilled told me where i could go and stomped off. 

12/7/20 @ 7:23 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

People that see where your fishing and pull there permanent shacks out and place them within 10 to 20 yards of your shack and drill holes in a 50 yard radius around their shacks basically on top of your spread and act like your crowding them. I actually had a guy last year come out as i was finishing drilling my holes and as i was setting my last tip up come walking over screaming at me that he drilled the hole and i was stealing it and when i pointed out the hole he actually drilled told me where i could go and stomped off. 

12/7/20 @ 6:31 PM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Yup have had guys set tip ups within a few feet of my tip ups plenty of times I don't get it . But one time on lake onalaska in 3 ft of water 2 guys set tip ups like 5ft or less from my tip downs and then there flag goes up and my tip down right next to it goes down they lose the fish and pull up my tip down line and look at me like it's my fault. But I was out there 3 hours before they showed up. I on the other hand always set at least 20 yds from others tip ups it's called respect. And for the guys who set up right on top of you with no friends and wants to tell you there life story I've even had the same guys pick up my fishing stuff and ask how's this work errrrrr. And yes again pick up your garbage propane bottles don't dissolve over time so pick the crap up cig butts what mess i don't smoke but my friend's do just use bottle or beer can we have never left any garbage on the ice it's again called respect.

12/7/20 @ 4:28 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Playing your radio so loud anyone within a half mile can hear it.  

12/7/20 @ 4:22 PM
stealthh20
User since 2/18/09

#1 hands down, leaving garbage, butts, anything on the ice... slobs.

12/7/20 @ 12:47 PM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

Gotta love the guys that set up right on top of you.  Last year with my son on the Mondeaux Flowage, last weekend of Feb., about 3:45 p.m.  We've been on the same holes for 2 days getting a few pike here-and there.  Our tips ups are in a straight line, 6 of them.  These 2 yo-yos come out and punch their holes 3 steps away from each of ours.  They were rather unhappy when we decided to pack up and I took my ATV to pull lines and then made a lap around where we were to make sure I didn't drop anything.

And let's not forget the people who don't understand where to park their ATV's.  Mondeaux again last year, DEEP snow and lots of slush.  We had packed a trail down the day previous to get to where we wanted to fish (and lots of others fish).  Travel was VERY difficult.  We come out the next day and some moron parks his Polaris 700 with tank treads in the middle of the trail people were trying to use.  Then just sits there, 20' away, when my son got his 500 stuck and dumped his sled trying to go around him.

12/7/20 @ 11:26 AM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Shadow fishermen that watch you catch a few fish and then move in on you and set up and everytime you make a move surprise there they are following you around the lake and then when they aren't catching you hear them bitching about how sucky the fishing is lol. As i continue to reel them in. I've even gone as far as to drill some holes but not quite all the way through just enough to fill the hole with water and watch people try to jig in them until they figure it out and stomp away mad !

12/7/20 @ 9:27 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Crowders.  Or people that come up and want to talk.  I like peaceful outdoor activities in solitude, either alone or with close friends.  This is also why early ice isn't as fun for me.  Give me ice where I can walk away from crowds and find fish on my own and then I'm having a good time.  

Displaying 31 to 45 of 59 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE