LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Annoying Things that happen when ice fishing!

12/8/20 @ 10:53 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Bait bucket lid flying away, line that gets stuck on ice chunks around the hole as you are rewrapping it, Wind blowing snow over your holes and leaving a mushy cap of wet thick snow all around the area, things falling out of your sled on the way back off the lake, and buying large shiners that are really mediums. 

Displaying 76 to 90 of 95 posts
12/11/20 @ 3:13 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

Get all the way to the back side of the lake and the auger won't start. A little investigation and the plug is loose and nothing to use as a plug wrench.  

12/10/20 @ 3:59 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Driving your snowmobile a couple miles across the lake to where you plan on fishing and realizing that your sled with all your gear is no longer behind you and having to track it all down. Having your minnow bucket clotheslined off the back of your sled by a low hanging branch. Realizing you left the bait at home. Auger won't start and on and on!

12/10/20 @ 3:34 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

My number one peeve used to be the minnow bucketipping over in the sled on the way to remote lakes or over big ruts.  Now I put 2 little clamps on the bucket lid so all the water doesnt leak out

12/10/20 @ 2:25 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

How about when you carry your auger what feels like a country mile between each tip-up hole when you are drilling, but after you get all the tip-ups in and the sun comes up, you're like "they aren't even close to far enough apart"

12/10/20 @ 5:34 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

1 your on ice and not in your boat!!!!

12/9/20 @ 11:23 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

This is fun. Keep them coming!

Checking your tip up and the minnow is submerged in weeds. Kicking yourself for waiting "that long" to check it.

At home, no wind. On the lake, hurricane force. Well, not quite, but you know what I'm saying! 

Side of the shanty popping in when inside! 

End of the day. Cold. Reeling in the tip ups, taking the minnow off etc...then just throwing the tip up in messily into the bucket and paying for it later as line is tangled everywhere! 

Taking the sled up a small hill while getting off the lake and the tip up bucket tipping over and falling out of the sled. 

12/9/20 @ 10:23 PM
greg2507
User since 1/13/13

Fish that stare at your bait and don't bite.

12/9/20 @ 6:51 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

was fishing in my shack and heard a snowmobile pull up....no big deal, actually thought it was a warden...opened the door and a guy was sitting on his machine....track on top of my tip up.... telling me he was going to use my auger to drill a few holes...not asking...telling me...when I questioned if he had his will up to date he called ME an A$$ and drove off....have had people (not move my shack) but drill so close it took the paint off the side of it...you couldn't pay me to have a permanent shack out there.

12/9/20 @ 6:03 PM
shermanpup
shermanpup
User since 2/4/08

Forgetting your cleats on lakes with no snow on top. In the old days. burning your line on your lantern and Having a Northern bite your old Crappie setup without a reel, although that can be fun if you get them in. I caught more panfish on my "walkback" poles with no spinning reel for some reason

12/9/20 @ 1:49 PM
wallywood
User since 1/1/02

OH yea annoying people. A couple of years ago I was ice fishing on Pike Lake near Hartford. I was out there with my brother during the week, and there was no crowd. We had our tip ups spread out in a 200 ft. area. Out comes a guy and starts drilling holes in the middle of our spread. This was in the late afternoon and we were going to fish for a couple hours after dark. I asked the guy whats up and he just gives me a blank stare.Well at sundown we get a flag and pick up a nice 17'' walleye. Nothing after that so when we jacked up I started the auger and drilled a bunch of holes near his tip ups. He starts jaw jacking and my brother and I saluted him as we left.

12/9/20 @ 12:20 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

One is annoying things and one is annoying people. 

12/9/20 @ 11:59 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I'm curious...why do we have two "annoying things while ice fishing" threads here?  Both have had posts recently too.

12/9/20 @ 11:37 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

Watching individuals in 10deg or less weather running to a tip up 50 yards away then carrying the fish back to their shanty to measure it.  

12/9/20 @ 11:27 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Wind is my number one annoyance!!  I hate fishing in the wind summer or winter. Also when fish follow ur bait up and when u think they are gonna bite they go back down. 

12/9/20 @ 9:33 AM
Yahara
User since 11/21/20

Speaking of dropping things down the ice hole...

last year I adopted a 9 month old dog (border collie-lab mix) in December and took him ice fishing a few weeks after I got him. I brought a kneecap dog bone for him to chew on while I fished. 

Well he’s having the time of his life chewing on that thing, and he walks past me with the bone in his mouth and wagging his tail and ends up dropping the bone...right into the hole. 

He stood above the hole looking down and watched the bone sink until he couldn’t see it anymore. Poor guy. 

Displaying 76 to 90 of 95 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE