LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Annoying Things that happen when ice fishing!

12/8/20 @ 10:53 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Bait bucket lid flying away, line that gets stuck on ice chunks around the hole as you are rewrapping it, Wind blowing snow over your holes and leaving a mushy cap of wet thick snow all around the area, things falling out of your sled on the way back off the lake, and buying large shiners that are really mediums. 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 95 posts
3/2/21 @ 8:55 PM
crobar
User since 6/19/01

Fished a lake Sunday with alot of slush an crunchy  top layer...drilled a mess of holes. It was tough walking to begin with but as day progressed it got nasty....put my bucket down an sat on it ....all of a sudden hear ice crunch..bucket tips and yours truely takes a bath....end of fishing ..still had to slosh back to shore...thats annoying    ...Hope no one got that on camera  

3/2/21 @ 8:31 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

Forgetting to dispose of spikes outside.  I did this the other day, now there are flies from the Congo in my house.

2/25/21 @ 11:26 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Today was a day with many "annoying things."

Now, having a 500 plus acre lake possibly to ourselves was great! And it's always good to get out there. Nice warmish Sunny day too! But, here are the annoying things:

1. Wind! Popped the shanty side in multiple times. And, just so loud in the shanty. Sounded like an airplane almost!

2. Wind! The holes were constantly being covered with soupy sloppy blowing snow and even our  tip ups were covered with a cake of snow where you could hardly see the tip ups at times. It was like playing hide and seek!

3. Tip up line getting tangled inside itself. Sometimes I wonder how these knots even happen!

4. Thick snow. Not easy at all to walk around. Drilling a new hole at the edge of your spread and scooping and setting up a tip up was not an easy thing to convince the mind to do.

2/25/21 @ 11:19 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks for the tip. Not a bad idea at all.

2/22/21 @ 11:02 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

n pike, I tuck my pants into my socks when wearing waders or snowpants. Looks dorky, but it keeps the socks up

2/22/21 @ 9:16 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Going to the bait shop to get minnows for fishing that night and getting distracted taking fishing with the owner and not realizing till you got home that you left the bucket sitting by the counter at the shop then getting the you dum dum look when you come back lol 

2/21/21 @ 2:59 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Very true Chaw! I know what you’re talking about.

Here’s something that’s not really annoying, but kind of unsettling. We were fishing a spot near a bridge yesterday. Very light traffic. Kind of a dead end road type of situation. But throughout the day, people in cars and trucks would come and just stop on the bridge and stare at us for a long time. Then, turn around unless they Lived in one of the few houses past the bridge…  I mean, I get it. I do that too. Just checking out what’s going on. Curious. Kind of imagining being out there myself…Seeing if people are jigging or tip ups, seeing where they are set up. Hoping to see something caught maybe…But it happened quite often yesterday and people would stay for quite a long time. Not sure what they were expecting to see, or how long they wanted to watch, but it sometimes just felt weird.

2/19/21 @ 8:24 AM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

The consistent perch flag while fishing large shiners for pike that always seems to be the farthest tip up. 

2/16/21 @ 7:02 PM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

I’ve been fishing a lot of small lakes in the Chequamegon National Forest. Every Lake I target has a public access. No trespassing at all for this guy. 

Some launches are purposely plowed in. Some access roads have trees cut down to block the launch. Several have very protective property owners that come out to chase you off. I don’t get bent out of shape but public access lakes can not be blocked or owned. 

2/14/21 @ 3:25 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Nice pic Jaybee! Yup!! 

I’m sure you’ve found yourself in similar situations to me. You are one adventurous dude, never to shy away from a fishing access challenge.

2/14/21 @ 2:52 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I know what you mean about the bootlaces 

2/14/21 @ 2:47 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Hoolie Carp, n.pike, what a day. Some guys would hang it up for the rest of the winter after a day like that. But you keep coming back for more, bro. 

2/14/21 @ 9:04 AM
Ldob50
User since 8/16/16

Getting 2 miles out on the quad in 5 degree weather and my stomach starts rolling from the sausage biscuit I just ate from Kwik Trip. Ugh

Two options. I choose option 2 and have a bucket, paper, and a bag with me never to leave on the Ice.

Peace and Good Fishing!!!

Lar      

2/14/21 @ 12:56 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

One more thing to my last post...boot laces that end up getting giant frozen slush balls on them by the end of the afternoon!

2/14/21 @ 12:47 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

This thread came up in my mind a number of times today! Oh my, lots of annoying things today! 

First, when you wear a sock at home and it's fine, but you get out to the lake and it falls down your foot. Then, SLUSH....walking through it, falling into it when you break through and your knee gives out, your sled getting caked with hardened slush as you pull it a half mile across a lake-just gets harder to pull each minute, and lastly, your tip ups floating on slush as your holes get flooded throughout the afternoon! 

Oh yeah, drilling into slush with dull blades! What a work out! And, speaking of augers, when you get to the ice and start drilling, and quickly realize that you don't have blades on your auger! Don't even ask!!! Had to go 1/2 mile back to the truck through slush pockets to get the back up! 

So, yeah, lots of annoying things today! Too many! And, top it off, it was -8 when we started and -15 when we left. But, the shanty was warm and the fish were biting really good, which surprised me. A number of nice bass today on a spot that seems to always produce! And, I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 95 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE