SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Stimulus money firearms

4/1/20 @ 9:18 PM
INITIAL POST
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Who's going to spend some or all of your money on a firearm ?  Tell us what you’d like ,   American  made of course   !  I was thinking of a Henry  .22 .

Displaying 16 to 30 of 66 posts
8/8/20 @ 8:34 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Fleet Farm's firearm department looks like a ghost town.  Sold out of most everything  . Ammo isles were about cleaned out.  .22 shorts were available. 

8/6/20 @ 1:19 PM
sylvanoaks
User since 8/1/18

Couple weeks ago I got a wild hair to get another handgun, (like I need another).

I started looking through gallery of guns, and they're sold out of everything I looked at.Then I flipped to sportsmans guide, where I usually buy my ammo.  They are sold out of all 9mm I was looking for. 

I hear people are stocking up for a war.

8/3/20 @ 12:39 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Not sure how/why I worded my last post to indicate that you can get an M1 for $350 on line. I think that I meant that a field grade rifle through CMP is $350 less than what you can pick one up for at a gun show. That more than justifies the $25 membership fee to the Collectors Association (which is a requirement of CMP).

Anyways, just got back from a week of vacation and saw that the service grade rifles are back in stock on the CMP website. I have to get my application notarized tomorrow and it goes in the mail. Can't wait to get it. 

6/15/20 @ 6:46 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I talked to a guy who sees Field Grade M1's at gun shows in the CMP case for $1,000. You know that seller got it for $650 and is just trying to make a buck. I had to join the Garand Collectors Association for $25 along with my passport and CCW license to qualify. That costs way less than $350 to buy one online. 

I'll let you know when I finally get mine. It's going to happen, it just comes down to when. 

6/15/20 @ 4:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Thanks Snake. I did some more research today and have decided to hold out for a Service Grade rifle. There's just too much risk with the Field Grades. You could get a gem or a POS. Kinda like the Brown County Packer Ticket draw. You could get the MNF game of the year or a pre-season game which you can't hardly give away. You don't know until after you pay for the tickets. LOL. 

6/15/20 @ 12:06 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My dad qualified on one as well. I'm sure that I mentioned that somewhere on this thread. The field grade M1's are going for $650 so I'm not spending over a grand. I sent an email to CMP to see when more service or special grades will be available and they replied that they cannot predict a date. 

Snake, do you know what this means?

Field Grade - the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. 

Service Grade - the muzzle will gauge “3 or less” and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5. 

I'm not planning to use it to shoot competitively but am wondering how that would affect a pattern at 100 yards.

6/13/20 @ 1:12 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I got the final piece of the puzzle needed to order my Garand. My membership packet to the Garand Collectors Association arrived in the mail. A membership in that sort of association is required by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I will be ordering in the next couple of days but don't expect to see the rifle for a while. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Edit: I went to order my rifle this afternoon and found that CMP is sold out of all M1's except for the Springfield/H&R Field Grade rifles. Kinda torn on whether or not to wait for Service Grades to become available. I do like that the Fields have a more vintage looking stock but the pitting/rusting on the metal may be worse than the Service Grades. But why wouldn't one expect to have dings, scratches and "patina" on an 80 year old battle rifle. The Field Grades are well within military specs on the barrel and I don't plan to be shooting out over 100 yds.

If anyone has owned/shot/handled M1's and has advice on whether I should hold out for a Service Grade or just go with the Field, I'd appreciate it.

6/7/20 @ 9:45 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Here’s what I bought with it.

6/2/20 @ 6:19 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Slooowww process on getting my M1G. I renewed my CCW and sent in my membership app to the MGA to fulfill the requirements. As soon as I get my membership card from MGA, I'll be placing my order. I heard that they are a few months behind so hopefully I get it by fall. Don't plan to hunt with it but hope to shoot it a few times before the grips of winter set in. 

5/18/20 @ 3:44 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I read an article on Marlins 336c in 30-30 . Instead of walnut the wood is curly maple . Looks real sharp . Looked them up on gun broker  , and there were two of them for about thousand . Considering the regular ones are about 400 , guess I won't be getting one .

4/23/20 @ 9:01 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Honestly I don't see any reason,  that I can't get a top quality scope for $400 & under price range.

I don't think I need any more power than 2 x 7. I have MORE concern with the kick/force.

Am I wrong!?

Big Mac 

4/23/20 @ 6:47 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Big Mac

I agree with Snakester, need your intended use for better suggestions. Do you prefer lower or higher magnification? Also what is your budget?

I'll throw out one suggestion, Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20. I'm a Leupold fan as the tend to be on the lighter side of the weight scale. 

If you got deep pockets Khales then Swarovski.

Edit: just realized you included bear hunting. I would definitely stay towards the lower magnification side then. Something with a 1x or 1.5x on the low end of the magnification range. 

4/23/20 @ 6:36 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Thanks Snakester.

I would like to use it on my next bear hunt & doe hunt. So I would say most shots would be under 100 yards.

Maybe for still hunting & quick acquisition of my target. 

Thanks,

Big Mac 

4/22/20 @ 10:28 PM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Hey, sorry if I messed up this thread!!

Big Mac 

4/22/20 @ 10:20 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

Not a firearm. But looking for options on a scope for my Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun, stainless steel rifle.

Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Big Mac 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 66 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE