SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
INITIAL POST
goose
User since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 2,751 posts
10/16/22 @ 6:33 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Saw on the other day.  Taking the pontoon boat out of the water for the year, and forgot to raise the motor.  It was dragged about 30 feet up the ramp.  They looked at each other for a bit and finally figured out what the noise was.

10/14/22 @ 6:04 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

A few weeks ago on the Chain guy launches pleasure boat w wife and it won’t start.  Walks away from the ramp muttering to himself.  Told me he took boat out to run the gas tank empty.  I ask him if he checked his gas to see what’s in the tank……yup empty.  

10/13/22 @ 9:23 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

OMG, went out to the lake fishing, going back in to load up the boat, there is a large bass boat trying to get onto the trailer, in cockeyed at the dock, says NO power loading on the dock, you guessed it, he is gunning that 200HP motor to try to get the boat on the trailer, took him a while.

The guy waiting to load in front of me pulls up to the dock, all of a sudden, here comes a pontoon boat backing in, the guy says they need to move the pontoon back on the trailer. they try that, he pulls forward, I swear the pontoon was going to flip sideways on the ramp, he could not get it on the trailer straight, it would flip to either side. after about 15 minutes and 6 or 8 tries of reloading,  he finally got it where they could eventually and gingerly get it up the ramp and off to the side to try and straighten it out. There were a few words exchanged between the pontoon guy and the boat guy in front of me !!

The guy in front of me gets his out after that in about 5 minutes.

All this time boats are starting to back up in the cue to get off the water, about 4 or 5 of them, finally, it's my turn, another boat pulls up to the dock, making it full, as I am almost to the car, another guy starts backing in !!! I tell him, give me 5, i'll be outta there.

I don't know where he was expecting to launch, the dock was full. I get mine out in 5 minutes and I can see about 6 boats waiting to load up. 

it was a real cluster when I finally pulled out, ...the guys with the pontoon, were still trying to figure out the pontoon when I pulled out of the lot, 20 minutes after they loaded.

one of the more enjoyable ??? days and frustrating to say the least.

7/24/22 @ 11:48 AM
Big Green Turtle
User since 4/2/17

Was fishing a small time tournament (sponsored by one of the local bars) on green lake. My wife and I had just launched our boat and headed out away from the pier when a man came in with his SUV pulling a medium sized boat. I don't know why but I had a feeling something was going to happen so I kept watching. The guy backed his boat into the water got out of the truck and unhooked his boat, got into the boat and tried to power the boat off the trailer as he was backing the boat off the trailer the truck also started moving backwards the guy jumped out of the boat and made a mad dash to get in the truck but to no avail. The truck was fully submerged and the boat was off the trailer going in circles just off the pier. I found out later that the truck and boat were borrowed. Now that's a BAD day.

7/24/22 @ 9:38 AM
fuzzyfishin
User since 3/26/07

Yesterday coming in at south shore launch. I tied our boat to the north pier single lane.Had a pontoon pull up to the same lane. I walked off as they were readying their boat. Went to get my trailer which was in the front row midway. Pulled up to where my boat was only to see this guy backing his toon towards my boat. His wife/friend and my wife screamed stop. Almost hit my boat. I looked in amazement and wondered why?  He got out and looked. I’m waving my arms as in disbelief that he would Evan try to launch with my boat there Then he puts his arms up. He finally realizes and pulls out. An older lady waiting to get in the boat on the other side says to me ‘He didn’t tell me’. What? what didn’t I tell him? That he’s a BLI

7/13/22 @ 10:40 AM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

The best part of your story Boogie, is that you were able to laugh at yourself and pass on the chuckle to others. Pretty rare indeed nowadays. 

7/13/22 @ 9:17 AM
Boogie
Boogie
PRO MEMBER User since 1/25/02

No just a cold hash brown and a bit out of wind since there were people behind me.  Luckily they just laughed at me/us but one did offer to help push the boat.

7/11/22 @ 10:12 PM
banjo dan
User since 1/5/04

Boogie - that's pretty funny. Smart move to just drop the trailer so you could manipulate it a bit.
I assume you got cold, stale fries right?

7/11/22 @ 4:18 PM
Boogie
Boogie
PRO MEMBER User since 1/25/02

Not exactly boat launch but idiot, definitely an idiot.  Saw a guy get his boat trailer stuck in the Caledonia McDonalds drive through on Saturday morning.  What was the guy thinking trying to take his boat through the drive through?  He had to unhook the trailer and push it back on to the drive through lane and then re-hook it up to pull on through.  

Wait a minute!  That guy was me.  I must have gotten through drive throughs 20 times without a problem, but not this time!

I guess next time I better go inside and order!

5/22/22 @ 9:07 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Over the weekend I watched to older gentleman trying to move a tongue on a pontoon trailer... Problem 1... Pontoon boat was way too small for the trailer.. Trucks rear tires were in the water boat still in the air..

2.. got the boat to the water truck tires fully under water and exhaust bubbling away..then turned off truck and then was beating on the tongue didn't not loosen any bolts..

3. I was nice and said that the boat is wrong for the trailer... Maybe seek professional help..Got some smart Azz comment..So I pulled my boat out and nicely said good luck and get the sheet right before you come back cause you will get your Azz kicked pulling stupid tricks on the castle rock ramps come next weekend..

Trailer looked to be about 20 or 25 feet boat maybe 18 small pontoon boat l was kinda surprised on the size.. Do not know much about pontoon boat.

5/22/22 @ 10:28 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Good advice.    In storage ( garage ) I moved my rig a few inches about every 3 weeks.     CARPIO 

5/22/22 @ 2:58 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

So back in my 20's when I got my first boat I didn't pay much attention to trailer maintenance. So we always fished the Mississippi lacrosse camping on sandbars/ islands and one year I got to the launch started to back the boat in and I thought I ran over a tree branch of something got out and my buddy was like what's up I said what's that thump we looked and realized about a hand size part of the tire tread had come off but tire still held pressure cause the inner tire liner was still there. So I slowly launched the boat pulled the trailer then took off the tire and realized how lucky I was it didn't happen on the 3hr ride there. Almost every one I've asked about how it could happen they all said it was a flat spot that fell off from sitting for the winter. So I've always put my boat on Jack stands since when no in use and in the 20+ years since never had the problem again.

5/21/22 @ 7:10 PM
beanthewalleyslayer
beanthewalleyslayer
User since 1/18/10

Bruno, 

Last year I blew out a trailer tire on 18-151. Changed it road side, go to Mississippi river PDC. Backed boat into river pulled out flat tire on bran new spare.   Borrowed on from my buddy got back home 3 new trailer tires!  Put in on rock river fished all day got back to launch and damn the luck.... don't even think I need to say it but.   Flat tire AGAIN. Arms up in the air!!!  Rest of the year went fine. Pomps really really really really likes my money!  CRAP HAPPENS 

5/20/22 @ 9:26 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

Saw some guys at Nekoosa launch this week which has a somewhat steep launch had their boat half on the trailer with the other half on the pavement. Must of disconnected everything prior to backing down into the river. They were able to drag it back onto the roller trailer. I was surprised they didn't seemed that concerned or excited. Maybe it happens more often then not. After getting it back onto the trailer they backed it in like nothing happened. Unfortunately the motor did not start. 

5/18/22 @ 8:32 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Bruno.    Maybe you’re lucky and had all your bad luck used up during that adventure.    Don’t give up on fishing though!   I’ve had more than my share of bad outings.   CARPIO 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 2,751 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE