SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Boat launch idiots!

6/26/01 @ 2:05 AM
INITIAL POST
goose
User since 6/16/01
Why is it that every time I go to a public launch I have to contend with someone who has no clue what they are doing? One time After fishing in the morning I get back to the launch, on lake winnebago in the big hole, and on one side of the dock I see a car and trailer in the launch, no boat or a person. I get to the dock and get out and look around and see a boat coming into the harbor. Didn't think much of it. Came back with my truck and trailer, just as two other rigs pull up to launch. I get my boat on the trailer and the boat I saw coming in behind me pulls up onto the trailer parked on the other side of the dock. This guy backed his rig in, got in his boat and went out on the lake without parking his car and trailer in the parking area!!!!!!!!!!! This launch is only a one dock two ramp deal. He had no problem with plugging one side with his car and going out on the lake! I'm sure we all have a few stories about jerks at the boat landings so here is a place to vent!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 2,751 posts
11/11/21 @ 8:54 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Gotta love it!!!  

11/10/21 @ 5:18 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05

Two lane ramp (South landing at Dresbach), guy parks in the middle of the ramp, spends 10 minutes moving crap from the back of the truck to the boat, dumps boat in, spends another 10 minutes standing there staring at his boat because he didn't tie off his rope.

10/23/21 @ 6:27 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Buddy of mine was so in a rush to fish the depere walleye run he had to launch first he had a 95' Sierra manual so he backed his boat and trailer in then we didn't know but he put the truck in 1st gear turn off the ignition then launch his boat should've set the e brake and as soon as he backed his boat up the truck slipped out gear roller back in the water with just the hood and cab above water we then pulled it out with my truck fished the day and when we left to my amazement his truck started he's the one in the group who always does dumb stuff. But yah watching idiots at the launch is fun but when there's a line it gets annoying. 

10/17/21 @ 7:29 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I think this is my 1st time posting on this thread.  I dont think there is a boater that has not been an idiot at a  at one time or another at a boat launch .  It is amazing how different each launch can be. 

10/17/21 @ 3:02 PM
10/17/21 @ 9:14 AM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

My buddy and I were in the water, I was in the boat and it wouldn't come off the trailer. I have a small boat so the trailer was floating because the boat could hold it up. I finally realized what was going on and just died laughing. I don't have much ego so I don't care about doing dumb stuff but my buddy does. Even he had to laugh though. It was so funny. 

10/17/21 @ 7:56 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Saw one the other day in the Three Lakes area.  Someone forgot to take his tie down straps off the boat.  Started to laugh, but I have done that once before.

10/15/21 @ 3:32 PM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

Ok, ok, we just got home from a bummer of a fishing trip. Well, wasn't exactly the trip we planned. We went to one of our favorite lakes, one we normally do well on.

Can someone or...will someone please tell me...WHY in the ##%%@@$$%%% some people chose to park north and south in parking slots that are marked to be parked east and west??? I am still scratching my head...Also, parking in the area for exiting.

Back home now...talking to my favorite "buddy", Mr Jack Daniels...

8/21/21 @ 11:11 AM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

My son had a similar experience, our launch didn't have the pier out at the time, and the next door neighbor launched by him self, well he couldn't swim ether the bay is about 100yds to 5ft of water the wind was taking it out to fast for him to catch it. We get a nock on the door, their he is soaking wet huffing and puffing. The launch is a like a city block away by the time my son got our boat out there his boat was more than half way across the lake. 

Guess he forgot to put the anchor out. Or didn't beach very well.

8/21/21 @ 9:45 AM
CHISEL
PRO MEMBER User since 6/19/01

A few years ago I was going fishing with a friend on a secluded lake in northern WI in the middle of Oct.. He held the rope while I backed the boat in. After I parked I noticed the boat floating out a ways from the launch. He said when it was going in the carabiner snap twisted just right and came unhooked from the boat. With no one around and since he couldn't swim I had to strip down to my underwear and swim to the boat. At 65 yrs old that water was awfully cold but I had not choice since this lake was seldom used. Never really warmed up the rest of the day either. 

8/20/21 @ 7:03 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Well, I usually don't post on this topic, but I may be a BLI !!!

Went out a few weeks ago with the new lady friend, gave her the rope that's attached to the front of the boat for launching, back the boat in, gave it a little snap to get it off the trailer, saw it launch, pulled out and went and parked the truck. Got back down and she said the rope wasn't attached to the boat !!!! boat was floating in the river !!! good thing the guy who launched just before me saw this all transpire, so he guided my loose boat back to the dock !! To this day I still don't know how that rope came unattached, the rope is tied to a rather large carabiner snap which is then attached to a large eyelet on the top front deck.

do I get to join this exclusive club ????

8/16/21 @ 6:30 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

My biggest boat launch fail. Headed out of Sheboygan at 3:00 am for a morning of salmon fishing with my 1900 Lund Pro V. Dropped the boat in, parked, and headed out the harbor at no wake speed. Cleared the pier heads and opened it up. Boat seemed kind of sluggish and I had a 200 Merc on it. Luckily there was a full moon and I looked back and the water was above the floor. I told my partner to grab the wheel and I went to check if the plug was in. It wasn't. Now this was before all the invasive species rules so I NEVER took my plug out. I had the boat into a marina for a tune up and they pulled the plug after they lake tested it. It was too rough to keep the boat up on plane and drain the water on the lake so back inside the harbor we went. I'm glad the coast guard doesn't go out at 3 in the morning cause I did circles inside the piers until all the water drained out. Always look now.

8/16/21 @ 2:17 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Not a boat launch idiot story, though I did run into one this weekend.

But, I had a mess of walleyes to clean.  Pulled up into a Sturgeon Bay launch with a fish cleaning station.  Saw a wedding going on in the lot across from the station.  No big deal.

I get out with the electric knife and garbage bag for fillets.  My wife has our net full of walleyes to be cleaned.

I get setup and here comes a very nice older gentleman who wants to talk.  No problem.  Happy to talk and clean.  Then his son some over, he has to be 36 and he is bringing his two young boys with him.  Maybe they were 5 or 6 years old.  No problem.  

Dad says they wanted to see fish being cleaned, so I show them.  I'm digging it.

Then one of the boys sees the water hose with the sprayer attachment.  I'm oblivious to this fact as I'm cleaning fish.  Dad yells out "Noooooooooooooooooooo."  And it's too late, he has the sprayer and is soaking me with water!  I give a little shriek, which was more womanly than I care to admit.

The dad takes the hose away, and apologizes profusely.  The boy is hiding behind his dad.  I take the hose and tell him to step away, because I need to get even!  There is nervous laughter, and I say to them, "I'm not kidding."  Then there is big laughter.

Well, everyone went away dry, except for me.  But it sure was a funny happening at he fish cleaning station.

8/5/21 @ 7:43 PM
banjo dan
User since 1/5/04

These stories are getting really funny.

My friend's dad was going from near Omro to Oshkosh to fish the Fox River. On the on-ramp to Hwy 41, a nice looking boat went flying past them.
My friend's mom said, "Hey, that looks just like... Oh shit."

During a winter, right around the same time, her dad hooked up a sleigh to his snowmobile and took her and her sister out on Lake Butte des Morts for a spin. They stopped somewhere for lunch, got back on the ice and headed home.

When her dad got home, he turned around and the sleigh was empty. They had hit a decent sized bump and both kids went flying. He didn't notice until he got all the way home. Butte des Morts is a pretty big lake.

8/5/21 @ 10:18 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I know about a runaway boat.lol.    My bud and I were in a hurry after work to try for some salmon.  We were on a divided road going down hill when my bud yelled “ the boats loose!” We slowed down and the boat and trailer shot by us but luckily the tongue slid along the RH side of the curbing and stopped a block ahead of us.   He forgot to lock the trailer and attached the chains.   We enjoyed many Brewskis that evening.   Lol  that was almost 50 years ago but we still laugh about it.      It sure doesn’t seem like the salmon were introduced to LM that long ago.            CARPIO 

Displaying 61 to 75 of 2,751 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE