MORE
General Hunting Discussion

wolf hunt

8/31/12 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
hardcorewisconsin
hardcorewisconsin
User since 12/12/10
just wondering how most guys are gonna try to harvest a wolf if they draw a tag ? think guys will start guiding for them ?
Displaying 76 to 90 of 206 posts
10/16/14 @ 11:00 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
Good luck to all wolf hunters.
10/16/14 @ 9:19 AM
sniper
User since 10/17/01
I'm not a wolf lover or hater. I have no problem with having some wolves around, but think they should be kept at a social carrying capacity that the majority of people will tolerate. I believe in ecological principles and there's important reasons to have some around. What bothers me is the guys that brag about killing every one possible and the three s's mentality. I think their attitude is counter productive for what they really want. Take a look at some population models/studies that have been done. One in Minnesota lists illegal poaching as one of the main reasons of adult mortality. Thus, less tags will be given. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand they factor this in when quotas are determined. The wolves that are killed illegally could be trophies for those who do things right. Besides giving hunters/sportsman a black eye, it also gives the anti's more reason to lobby for re-listing. If you want fewer wolves, go to the public meetings. The people who want more wolves are.
10/16/14 @ 6:37 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
I wouldn't have any trouble with that math and those number, IF the DNR got them down to those numbers and then manages them accordingly.
10/15/14 @ 7:17 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
We'll said thirsty!! Pretty simple math but some people just can't figure it out. You wonder how these people made it this far in life...I wouldn't mind having a couple hundred in the whole state but when there are probably close to a 1000 of them that really sucks!!
10/15/14 @ 5:51 PM
thirsty2
User since 10/8/09
150 thats all? I agree that won`t even put a dent in the population. I was chatting with a guy and he asks me why we shoot so many? I said So Many, Not enough. How you figure he asked. This is what I told him. Say there is 300 Wolves in Wisconsin. ( I know there are more.) Hunters shoot 100 that leaves 200 left. Half of those are females. Have of the females can reproduce. Those females that can reproduce each have 4 pups in the spring. How many Wolves you have? 400! 100 more than what you started with. He told me he understands now. I believe as an avid Hunter, We need with the help of the Trappers to harvest 65 - 70% of the population to get the population controlled. If not next year then the year after. Otherwise we will not be able to control the population and get down to that 350 mark like they want. I`m also hearing the U.P. of Michigan has more Wolves than Wisconsin. Whats stopping them from coming to our state? --- Always Thirsty
10/15/14 @ 10:50 AM
meestalubba
User since 1/5/10
Beware of hunter harassment out there wolf hunters! Document their behavior well enough and they could end up paying for your hunting trip! http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/Protesters-to-shadow-Wisconsin-wolf-hunters-279279792.html
10/8/14 @ 7:21 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
I see it's only 150 this year . that's not gonna even make an impact. Oh well we don't need to many deer around I guess. Puke
10/6/14 @ 8:31 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
What is the quota for the hunt this year ??? Hopefully all of them!!!
8/28/14 @ 7:55 PM
drslyr4
User since 3/9/04
Never was a big fan of bringing wolves in as they were here in small numbers and didn't make that much of an impact. Now they are affecting certain areas and spreading. Just like the high bear numbers this reduces the deer and elk populations. On another note if anyone has an area with wolves I drew a tag. Drslyr
8/15/14 @ 12:24 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Yup, Wolves are over populated right now and numbers need to be reduced ..... even the WDNR says that with the population twice their "acceptable" level. The only real debate is how over populated and at what rate they can be harvested.
8/15/14 @ 9:33 AM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
out of balance? haha you mean the deer herd that was out of balance for years and now that it has been brought down to sustainable levels some folks are crying like children because they can't sit on any old stump and see tons of deer. your redneck shoot em up comments are what makes hunters look bad to the general public. i guess i don't understand your comment about disney movies. this has to do with sustainable management of all wildlife and our forests
8/15/14 @ 8:49 AM
boges
User since 6/7/06
Well no tag just 3 preference points. looks like I will be just a guide again this year. Puke Puke Puke
8/15/14 @ 5:01 AM
boges
User since 6/7/06
So I have a question, when is the drawing so I can find out if I have a tag? I really want to put my hands on one of these critters. Cool
8/14/14 @ 9:11 PM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10
i take a fence to that.... or is it i rezemble the bremark....
8/14/14 @ 8:00 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Whoa there! This is the lake links, you can't go throwin the "d" word around like that. Them's fightin words.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 206 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE