MORE
General Hunting Discussion

wolf hunt

8/31/12 @ 5:18 PM
INITIAL POST
hardcorewisconsin
hardcorewisconsin
User since 12/12/10
just wondering how most guys are gonna try to harvest a wolf if they draw a tag ? think guys will start guiding for them ?
Displaying 61 to 75 of 206 posts
10/20/14 @ 12:41 PM
swamp people
swamp people
User since 5/14/12
Yawn
10/20/14 @ 10:44 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
"the highest amount of tags should be distributed in the central and southern areas of the state where wolf habitat is unsuitable " So, in other words, kill the wolves in the south, and don't kill them in the north because of available habitat? Wolves seem to survive just fine in the south, so why should those be selected for getting shot over the wolves in the north? There is great deer habitat in the north, should we not shoot any deer in the north and kill them all in the south? There isn't great grouse habitat in the south, should we remove the bag limit for grouse in the south and try to reduce their numbers? That argument is ridiculous. To have 4/6 wolf zones closed already shows the lack of accurate population estimates DNR has at their disposal. I feel sorry for those that spent a bunch of coin hoping to kill a wolf, and then have their zone closed before the first weekend they can actually go hunting for them. The quota levels are a complete joke, and will do nothing to control the population explosion that is occurring. You then have to gall to say that quota numbers are reflected from poaching? If the public is relying on the DNR to effectively manage the wolf population, it won't happen unless some major changes are made. Why would would-be poachers quit shooting wolves if they know the DNR does not take wolf control seriously? We have a current goal of 350 wolves statewide, and we are likely 3 times above goal than what the DNR uses as a guesstimate. There are likely more than 2000 wolves in the north alone. To have 15 tags available for all of NE Wisconsin is proof enough the DNR does not have an accurate count of the wolves in this state.
10/20/14 @ 10:35 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Skills improved or there are just so many its easy, like deer hunting used to be right lol! Tounge Out Just think how many guys who drew a tag never even bought a license because they could not go in the first few days. I'm one of them. I was going to go this weekend, but waited to drop $50 on the license just in case, and I'm glad I did. That just shows it was even faster yet, I'm sure not everyone went. I'm done applying until I see a realistic quota. It should not be filled that fast unless they are way off in their numbers.
10/20/14 @ 8:08 AM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
And after Day 4 the State's wolf quota is roughly 55% filled with 4 of 6 Zones closed. Zone 3 and 6 remain open. Both have big quota's yet to be filled. This is where things will slow down drastically.
10/19/14 @ 8:47 AM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
Just noticed in Zone 2 the quota was set at 15 and the harvest as of this morning was at 29. I suppose now the Dnr won't have a wolf season in Zone 2 next year because of the overwhelming over harvest. Because that makes sense on paper, right?
10/19/14 @ 8:36 AM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
Wow. After Day 3, 45% of the State's quota is now filled with Zone's 1,2 and 4 closing/closed! It's a good thing Zone 4 has the highest quota again at 40. Only 2 have been reported so far. Looks like the hound guys might get a crack again at filling some tags.. Congrats to all the successful hunters thus far!
10/18/14 @ 1:40 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I know the elk herd is considered experimental but how about we get rid of the experimental title and treat them as an endangered species in Wisconsin? Same thing for the couple moose in the state. If they're considered endangered then shouldn't the wolf population have to be greatly decreased to keep them from killing the elk and moose? Same could be said for Minnesota nad Michigan.
10/18/14 @ 1:34 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Yeah, why would the state want to manage for a usable resource that feeds families and brings people and money to the Northwoods when you can have to many wolves instead.
10/18/14 @ 9:55 AM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
the only problem is that you want the dnr to manage for as few predators and as many deer as possible. the days of wisconsin being one large game farm for deer are over the dnr's job is to manage the ecosystem as a whole
10/18/14 @ 9:39 AM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
I see a problem...maybe too many wolves!!
10/18/14 @ 8:56 AM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
And after Day 2, 20% of the State quota has been filled with Zone 2 closing today. Does anybody else see a problem here other than JC and myself?
10/17/14 @ 7:20 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
to have a small amount of tags for northeastern wisconsin is definitely not asnine. have you ever been up there? there is tons of good, suitable wolf habitat there. the highest amount of tags should be distributed in the central and southern areas of the state where wolf habitat is unsuitable
10/17/14 @ 7:17 PM
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
thirsty you may have the math right but you didn't include anything about biology or dynamics of wildlife populations. thus, your math is basically fanstasyland. wolves, and all wildlife for that matter, are extremely difficult to count, plain and simple. if you are that upset about the wolf population estimates then why don't you man up and volunteer as a wolf tracker instead of whining on the internet
10/17/14 @ 12:49 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
sniper: "One in Minnesota lists illegal poaching as one of the main reasons of adult mortality. Thus, less tags will be given. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand they factor this in when quotas are determined. " Just today, and after a single day of hunting, Zone 2 has already been announced as CLOSED as of noon on Saturday. In a day the quota has been reached. The entire NE part of WI had a quota of 15 wolves! Either the Zone has the best hunters and trappers in the world, or there is an error on the wolf population estimate. Do you think poaching actually changes the available quota to any degree? The only way it does is if there is a relatively accurate population estimate. If guys didn't shoot wolves on sight, would the quota then be increased from 15 to 17 wolves? It is obvious the DNR has no idea about wolf numbers in this state. To have 15 wolf tags for the entire NE portion of WI is asinine, and there is no logical reason to tell people that poaching will prevent an increase in available wolf permits to a point to help control the population. To fill the entire quota in a day speaks for itself.
10/17/14 @ 8:17 AM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
And after day 1 almost 10% of the season quota is filled......
Displaying 61 to 75 of 206 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE