MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

Displaying 30 to 44 of 167 posts
5/12/23 @ 11:20 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Last fall in my backyard plot I went with a sunflower/4010 pea mix for my fall plot and over-seeded it with winter wheat. This spring the winter wheat is coming back thick. I'm told it gets pretty tough and bitter come summer. What are you guys thoughts on the best route to go for this fall - should I spray and plant no-till and if so, what would you plant? I have a 4.5' three point tiller so tilling it isn't an issue, am I better off just tilling the foliage into the soil for some nutrients and starting from scratch like normal? I didn't plant brassica ?last year so ?I was thinking about trying that route again this year but I would think tilling is the best option for brassicas to break up the ?soil.
10/14/22 @ 11:40 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
I didn't have very good luck with the Green Machine. I had a field last year I planted half in Antler King Lights Out and the other half Green Machine. Antler King did better IMO.
10/9/22 @ 9:32 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Winter rye is growing good.. lots of does on camera.. I was lucky enough to talk to a neighbor and got to walk his field and got great information from him. His field has lots of clover and grasses..He says he sees alot of deer during the hunting season...Now I have to rethink my little food plot..4000 square feet compared to 80 acres of cattle grazing Fields... Maybe purple top turnip and radishes next year...

10/6/22 @ 8:32 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22

Is it too late to fertilize. I planted   Green machine by domain in mid august. Just checked it last weekend and there’s tiny plants growing 

I should’ve fertilized it but I figured with winter wheat it would have grown. There is some grass like plant that could be part of it

But I might go up Saturday and fertilize if it’s not too late

9/20/22 @ 9:05 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

In mid-July I broadcasted 3 different types of brassicas into last falls standing Cereal rye, rolled the rye flat, sprayed with 2qts/acre gly and then prayed for rain which has been below average in my area. I just overseeded all my plots with cereal rye and it is coming in nicely wherever the brassicas were thin and the rye will continue to fill in as brassicas get nipped off. 

I did the no-till on 3 plots and I disked 1 plot. The disked plot took off faster but the no-tills have now caught up as I believe the rye thatch holds more moisture for longer. 

All 4 acres of my plots are 2nd year plots cut out of heavy aspen slashing but they are doing great. 

Fall food plot photo by outfishin
9/20/22 @ 8:09 PM
Dave1234
User since 9/8/09

Finally did soil samples in April.  Spread 1700lbs of lime and pot ash over 4 plots Memorial Day weekend.  Mow the plots down in late July and sprayed them.  Came back 2 was later and tilled and planted and rolled them.  The 3 brassica plots look pretty good.  The deer or pounding them.  The clover plant was not plant well and had large empty strips.  Here r the 3 brassicas. What no til is that?  It looks awesome!

Fall food plot photo by Dave1234
9/13/22 @ 8:14 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

No-till plots are now catching up to the tilled plots. Trust the process and be patient. 

9/13/22 @ 8:00 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

HFC, 

If you have red osier dogwood on your property you can take cuttings from those and propagate them. I’ve had good success propagating them on my property. Check out some videos on YouTube. Very easy to do and I’d say 50-75% of the cuttings I’ve transplanted are doing good. They love wet feet so swamp edges are great. 

The deer love the stuff. At certain times of the year, the deer hit the natural browse like RO dogwood more than food plots. 

9/13/22 @ 7:23 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

5 red dosier plants today at Menards...5.00 a plant....IAM slowly learning from you guys and reaching out things.. 

Also I found dosier in the land need to trim it down to deer high from them it's about 7 to 8 feet tall.. Can't thank you guys for all the information you have given me .. I am getting great information from your blood sweat and tears..

9/13/22 @ 11:35 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Willow,  popple, red dosier, box elder...before any pine or oak.   Prolific growers like the listed are your best bet if you are looking for "natural" food.

Besides the buds and ends,  oaks you'll never see an acorn for a min of 15 years and that's best case.  probably looking at 20+ especially if they are browsing em.

9/13/22 @ 12:22 AM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Took the Boss (wife) up last weekend cause she wanted to see what I and the boys have been doing plus she wants to make a plan for tree plantings..

She would like to get some oaks going and some blue spruce and maybe some juniper..She and I would like to see natural food source also then just food plot..

Food plot was growing some in just a week. She and I were surprised how much green was starting.. Guess I did something right but I think winter rye will grow anywhere.. heading back up in 2 weeks and then I will broadcast some more winter rye. Would have taken pictures but it was raining pretty good Saturday... I guess I am pretty lucky she likes to hunt and fish.

9/12/22 @ 11:25 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Got my food plot work done last Thursday. I did what I described several posts back. Saturday through today has seen 1.3” of gradual soaking rain with a little more yet to come today. Mostly temperatures in the 70’s for several days should get some good germination of the winter rye and activate the fertilizer. Should see some results in a week or so. We will see. 

9/9/22 @ 11:17 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Thanks you for the help and information..The more I read about food plots the more I like clover mix and maybe buckwheat in spring then clover nock buckwheat down in late summer and seed cereal and winter rye... Looking at mix from Dalton seed company in Clinton.. lots of work to do... Thanks you again.. Good luck and be safe this hunting season..

9/9/22 @ 10:02 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Eyesman,  your plan for WR sounds solid.  Buy more than you think you'll need,  I won't hurt to put down at a min 50lbs in a 1/3 acre right now.  If we get the few days of rain like they are talking your plot will be great.   I wouldn't worry about the tilling,  not needed.  If you do some dragging like you said,  it's all you can do.  some will grow,  some won't.  fast rain will be a huge help.

9/9/22 @ 9:19 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Hunt,  all clover is great.  med red and whites are perennials.  Crimson is an annual.

I personally wouldn't plant rye grass.  there is very little nutrients or draw.  Will a deer eat it,  sure.  Only positive is it's can grow fast, It's grass.

I've learned here that when you make a claim,  you should also site a source or people will challenge you.  I found many,  here is one of them from real tree

1. Rye Grass

This food plot plant – which is commonly confused with the superior cereal rye – is the worst plant in the history of food plot plants. While some similar and sub-varieties of rye grass contain slightly higher protein, most of the rye grass available at your local feed store is low in protein, carbohydrates and palatability. It’s also hard to get rid of once established. But a few people swear by this cool-season plant for its hardiness, and so it remains.

Plant Instead: Cereal rye is an attractive food source in fall and winter. It only offers 15% crude protein, but it’s high in carbohydrates, which deer need during colder months.

Don't fret though,  something is better than nothing.

If you are going to try and change the PH,  lay it down in the winter right on the snow in like feb or march when it's starting to melt.  Pellet lime is faster so they say...but even the powder will have time if you do it early.  its cheaper too.

Depending on deer density,  ag in the area and what you plan to plant is what determines when you plant.  There really is no rule,  but brassicas and soy beans can be your biggest headache.  no rain and over browsing will hurt you bad.   Over browsing will always happen with brassica if planted early especially in a smaller plot.  a doe and 2 fawn can wipe out a 20 x 30 in no time.  Your situation calls for plants that regrow well...clover,  WR like you planted.

Fall plots are the easiest by far and quite honestly can be your best plots.  new green in the area can be a huge draw. 

Good Luck this season

Displaying 30 to 44 of 167 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE