MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Fall food plot

5/4/21 @ 10:56 AM
INITIAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Just looking to talk some food plot ideas - What do you guys have the best luck with for a late season plot? Do you do anything special for fall plot preps? How about some pictures of bucks taken off kill plots? 137 days till archery opener... 

Displaying 61 to 75 of 167 posts
8/27/22 @ 1:16 AM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

First attempt to make a small food plot..Cut and sprayed a little area maybe 50 x50 feet..I got 5lbs bag of winter rye seed from A local hardware store...no soil test just going to wing it this year maybe try to find some clover and mix it in... Any thoughts on my Half Azz plan? 

The land I purchased is in price county some ag around mostly cattle.. Maybe a mineral pit in the area with a water hole nearby..

Trail camera showing does in the area no bears since early June.. Heading up next weekend to plant and hang stand's in the spots my teenage boys picked out.. letting them spread their wings and grow as hunters..

Any input will be appreciated...

8/24/22 @ 10:19 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Here's another.  This one is about 90 yards by 25 feet on one side and then 90 yards by about 40 feet on the other.  We have two more slightly smaller plots, but I didn't take pics.

Fall food plot photo by Mr.Bass1984
8/24/22 @ 10:06 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Our first attempt at food plots.  My uncle had his buddy clear these out for us.  Planted in a mix of oats, clover, and brasssicas.  I think my uncle over seeded a little bit, but it's coming up really good so far.  I'm going to go back labor day weekend and fill in the edges a little bit.  This one is about 60 yards by 40 feet or so.

8/24/22 @ 10:04 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

This is all alfalfa about 8 acres or so.  Local farmer plants it every year.  Amish bought up 75% of the farms in the area and haven't planted anything, so this field has been getting hit hard by deer this year.

8/21/22 @ 6:36 AM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

I like your plan which is basically what I attempted. I think my rye seeded out too good but I guess I will never know for sure since the turkeys tore it up. Reseeded but like most waiting for rain.

8/20/22 @ 10:26 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Cereal rye and winter rye are the same.

I used buckwheat as a smash crop last year for no-till method but the deer were browsing it to heavy to get any decent growth. This year I decided to let the cereal rye planted last fall go as long as I could and use it as my smash crop. Turns out in my area, most of my cereal rye was in the dough stage at the perfect time to broadcast fall plantings in early to mid-July. (Forecasted rain didn’t always pan out though)  Yes, some of the rye seed had hardened off and I have some volunteer rye growing but that’s ok. I’m hoping I can continue this rotation as it simplifies things and is cheaper than adding the buckwheat rotation. 

I have Sandhills, turkeys and crows eating seed in the plots daily. 

Fall food plot photo by outfishin
8/20/22 @ 9:54 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

If your using roundup it will not kill off clover. I tried letting winter rye go to seed then spray any weeds, put down the new food plot seed (peas and rape) and cut the winter rye down for seed cover. The winter rye come in too thick and was over completing the rest but then a group of turkeys moved in and tore the whole plot up. They were after the winter rye seed. Will be looking for them this fall.

8/20/22 @ 9:46 PM
huntfishcrappie
User since 2/23/16

Do you use any buckwheat or winter rye? Plots look very nice...Nice work...

8/20/22 @ 10:39 AM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

A few pictures of the cereal rye and red clover in early to mid summer before terminating. The does used the plots quite a bit for fawning. I counted 30-40 beds in one of the plots in mid June. Cereal rye will always be a major part of my food-plotting arsenal. 

8/20/22 @ 10:32 AM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

My final 1 acre plot was last years Cereal rye and red clover that I decided to roll in late June to terminate the rye and leave the clover. Worked great but the clover developed powdery mildew so I left 1/2 the plot that was decent and on 1/2 the plot I just broadcast radish, oats, wheat and rye then I sprayed and rolled it. No idea how this one will turn out but will provide updates. 

8/20/22 @ 10:17 AM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Another 1 acre plot that I broadcasted the seed into standing cereal rye and red clover, rolled and sprayed. The red clover in this plot is proving to be stronger than my herbicide mix as it’s coming back…

This plot always gives me grief even though it has the best ph and most sunlight. It has a good crown to it and with the heavy clay, most moisture we have received this year is running off I believe. Need a couple all day soakers instead of brief downpours. 

8/20/22 @ 10:09 AM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

This was a 1 acre cereal rye and red clover plot that I broadcasted radish and Winfred seed into, rolled and sprayed. The brassicas are doing ok but definitely running behind the plot that used conventional tillage method. 

8/20/22 @ 10:04 AM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

1/3 acre brassica plot was disked and planted mid-July. I planted tillage radish and Winfred forage brassica. This plot with conventional tillage is doing quite a bit better than my other plots that I broadcasted seed into last years standing rye, rolled and sprayed. 

8/6/22 @ 12:40 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Got this small spot put in today. Quite a bit of rain forecasted for the next couple days should get it going good. Used a mix of soybeans, turnips, radish, barracius and a couple other things in some leftover seed bags a friend had. 

Fall food plot photo by eyesman
8/5/22 @ 9:09 PM
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

Planted brassica the last two years on different plots but the deer just don't seem to like it that much. Planted winter peas today and will top it with winter rye in September. Very dry so far.

Displaying 61 to 75 of 167 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE