MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Dead deer,no blood...?

11/30/19 @ 8:34 AM
INITIAL POST
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

This was my 3rd season gun hunting,and managed to shoot my 1st buck($.50 cent piece) with one side of rack broke off . I'm shooting a Savage 30.06 w/165gr hornady sst's. My shot was a 125 yrds, deer fell over upon impact. So I get up to my deer and am dumbfounded to find no blood at all,or any entrance wound...?After making for sure deer is dead,rolled him over and to much surprise a few "specks" of blood and had to search hard to find exit wound....I haven't been hunting very long at all but just wondering if anyone else has witnessed anything like this at all?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 41 posts
12/6/19 @ 2:41 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

These are what I use in my 30 06,are these considered cheap bullets?

12/6/19 @ 9:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

When we use cheaper bullets we had a few occasions with no visible hole in the deer.  When we skinned them we found that the bullet fractured into a bunch of tiny pieces.  That shrapnel went into the deer and killed it.  Later on I talked to guys more knowledgable about it and they told me the gun we used (.308) at close range could have that happen with cheaper bullets.  Its going so fast at that point that the bullet loses its integrity and sort of blows up upon impact.  

Switched to higher end bullets and never had the issue again.

12/5/19 @ 1:57 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Many years ago I shot a fat doe just before dark. The deer dropped on the spot and never went an inch from where it had been shot. No blood tracking was necessary. I field-dressed the deer and dragged her out.

Next morning I'm out there cleaning up the field dressing and I notice there's no entrance and no exit wound at all. I was completely and utterly baffled. Turns out I shot her right through that small part of the chest that sticks out when the animal is standing still. No vital organs were hit what-so-ever.

Died of shock or a heart attack? (???)

35 Whelen with 250 grain Core-Lokt.

12/4/19 @ 4:59 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

The shot was taken from an elevated stand. By the time I made it over to in laws house he already had his deer and mine skinned. But he said it hit the shoulder and expanded inside of the deer...

12/4/19 @ 2:15 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Where did you determine the exit wound to be? And what kind of shot was it? From the ground or elevated?

12/4/19 @ 2:14 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I shot a doe a couple years ago at 11 yards from an elevated stand. Hit her just behind the left shoulder, a little more than halfway down. Flipped backwards and that's where she stayed. After gutting and hanging her, it looked like I shot twice as there were holes touching, almost like it entered and exited nearly the same spot. No exit wound. 30/06 using 150 grain Remington Core Lokts. That was one I don't think I'll ever understand. 

12/2/19 @ 10:39 AM
NBKOutdoorsYT
User since 10/22/19

I had a similar situation this year, but it didn't drop. I hit it right behind the shoulder from above. It ran over a hundred yards without leaving as much of a spec of blood, not even any where he was shot. Luckily, I was barely able to follow his tracks in the snow. He didn't leave blood until around 10 yards before he fell. In my case though, the bullet didn't exit and I found it lodged in his back leg bone.

12/2/19 @ 9:39 AM
Salmon/walleyeangler
User since 5/29/16

Hornady SST's are very good bullets and I have shot a few deer with them but they are not designed to go through and leave a blood trail. SST stands for super shock tip which means all the energy from the bullet is used inside the deer to cause massive trauma so they drop in their tracks.

12/2/19 @ 8:36 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/a-missed-shot-with-a-50-bmg-still-kills-the-deer-you-wont-believe-how/

12/1/19 @ 9:43 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

I remember my brother telling me a story when he was young, that he and a friend were in a field talking, when they saw a deer running along a knoll about 200 yards away. He takes aim and shoots just as it turned to run in a direction away from them. His friend says I think you dropped him. They go over to the area, and find a dead deer, but they could not find where it was hit. The mystery was solved when they gut the deer, and found it was shot directly up the poop shoot.

12/1/19 @ 12:18 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

This happened to a friend of mine. I wasn't there. Just heard about it. While hunting cow elk in Colorado, he shot a cow elk which dropped instantly. After waiting a bit and making sure she was dead, he noticed no blood at all. He was using a .308 ( not sure of the grain). Anyway, his twin brother says that he must've scared it to death and they have a good laugh. Finally, when skinning it out they found the bullet, lodged in the center of the spine near the shoulder. Must've paralyzed it immediately I am guessing.

12/1/19 @ 11:39 AM
Chippman
User since 5/5/06

Had a couple of deer like that no blood but found both entrance and exit holes must have plugged instantly with fat. Chippman

12/1/19 @ 11:36 AM
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

First, congrats on buck and great shot.

Second, regardless of caliber and bullet, many bullets do not exit, location, angle etc. Many are recovered in the skinning butchering process.

This year we found one just under skin while buck was hanging and cut it out then which was pretty cool.

No blood, no surprise. Again, the skinning butchering process will tell the story.

You might look for high hit and if deer was quartering toward, bullet has a lot of body to travel through.

Entrance hole is going to be less than the size of your little finger.

Let us know what you learn butchering.

11/30/19 @ 10:49 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Had a buddy shoot a deer around 10 years ago, kind of the same deal, no blood, no entry wound. 

As it turned out, the bullet entered through the ear, we scratched our heads for a bit for sure...

11/30/19 @ 10:27 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Skinning should tell story.  I shot a weird rack buck a few years ago and dropped it in its tracks with a 165 grain sst out of my 308.  Instant lights out.  Found entry with little blood and it angled into far shoulder neck area with no exit.  If u stop the heart instantly with shot they may not show alot of blood without an exit wound. Heart needs to pump for blood to come out.  I've heard bad things about light weight ssts but a heavy one like a 165 grain is great.  My favorite deer load.  The only one I've had run went 20 yards with lungs jellied.  The deer died instantly so it worked.  

Displaying 16 to 30 of 41 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE