SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Best ultralight spinning reel

8/26/16 @ 7:10 AM
INITIAL POST
dug31
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/14

I'm looking for an ultralight spinning reel,mostly for panfish. What is everyone using out there? Any input would be really helpfull. My price range is anywhere from $30-100.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 50 posts
12/9/21 @ 10:31 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Piscifun® Carbon X Spinning Reel 500

Only weights 5.1 Oz

I currently use Piscifun® Carbon X Spinning Reel 2000 for my bass walleye St Croix rod

12/7/21 @ 5:56 PM
CCLUND
User since 5/29/11

Okuma Ceymar or a Sienna is all I use in small UL reels.

12/7/21 @ 5:56 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I've been a Shimano reel guy for over 30 years. Having said that, I watched a video where a guy was going over multiple UL outfits, and decided to try a Daiwa Exceler 2500 EXLT2500D-XH. I now own 6 of them. They are exceptionally lightweight, have a screw in handle, and balance very well with the 6.6-7.6 foot UL rods I use for pannies. The drags are very smooth. These will handle any fish up to 20#. They are not meant for large fish and lots of abuse. My Shimano's still get some use, but mainly for eyes and bass/pike.

12/7/21 @ 7:05 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

For ice fishing I use a shakespeare contender size 20 for perch and gills 90% of the time I do own more expensive reels for ice fishing but the $20 contender is what l have found to work best for me. And open water couldn't agree more with the sienna great reel for the price. But for open water my favorite ul setup is a quantum throttle 2 size 20 reel there like $50-$60.

12/6/21 @ 5:22 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

More photos of the area repair if you enlarge it and compare to the left one you can see that I worked on it. 

If you own one of them I would watch this area closely.

Best ultralight spinning reel photo by oncebitten
12/6/21 @ 4:57 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

Outa line 

I received a phlueger president as a gift last year. And as Outa line said abrasion resistance is a problem at the bail near the roller bearing that the line rides on and it gets caught up in between the roller and carrier. Causing line breakage the biggest bait that I have used is a 1/8 oz twister tail using 6 lb monofilament. 

I did a web search and found that it is a problem with them.

I was able to file out the ware mark.  

12/6/21 @ 1:42 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I just got a couple Siennas last year as well and they are super smooth. Of course I haven't battled anything substantial yet either lol. 

12/6/21 @ 11:43 AM
stealthh20
User since 2/18/09

Look at the size 20 pflueger monarch ice reel. It  has an oversized spool compared to the president, etc. 34.99

12/6/21 @ 11:00 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Shimano Sienna 1000's are $19.99 at my local Walmart. Hard to beat that price. I bought one last year and am happy with it. Plan to buy two more in the spring. 

12/6/21 @ 10:50 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Them Phlueger Presidents are solid / good value. Berkeley Nanofill is a total game changer for UL spinning. Casting distance & sensitivity is incredible. Downside is no abrasion resistance. 

12/6/21 @ 10:15 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

don't recall where I saw this tip about spinning reels, but think it was from a Lindner... that instead of going with a 1000 size ( that's shimano's smaller, ultra light reel size), go up a size so that you have a larger spool, less line twist... same for other setups...go with the biggest spool

...made sense to me, and I started buying 2500 size ( in shimano )

...unless you're spooling up with braid, then go for the lighter,smaller size.... just passing that along... 

also, agree with all below

12/5/21 @ 5:02 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have 6 panfish rods that have Shimano Sienna rear drag reels on them. They are spooled with 4 lb test and have a smooth reliable drag. I have caught countless non targeted species with then, small and large mouth bass, northern, walleye, catfish and sheepshead. 

12/5/21 @ 4:59 PM
flint fredstone
User since 4/10/12

Pflueger Purist on sale at Scheels. 59.99 Upgraded from the President. Size 20 on up. I've bought 2. So far very good

12/5/21 @ 11:26 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Jimmy is right, nice reel.    CARPIO 

12/4/21 @ 10:54 PM
Southside Jimmy K
PRO MEMBER User since 12/4/21

Take a look at the pfueger president 20   59.99 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 50 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE