SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Should I buy this boat?

3/11/15 @ 11:12 AM
INITIAL POST
Fjd23
User since 3/11/15
I'm a new fisherman who is looking at buying a smaller fishing boat to enjoy my new hobby. I am looking at buying a 14 Starcraft with a 9.9 evinrude 4 stroke. I was hoping this would be a good started boat to enjoy the chain and smaller lakes. People have been advising me that the size is too small. Will this be adequate to use during non peak hours on the chain? Weekdays in the morning an evenings when there's minimal traffic, or should I reconsider and go bigger? Thanks for your help New fisherman Frank
Displaying 11 to 20 of 32 posts
3/15/15 @ 6:54 PM
nubbz07
User since 12/31/09
Originally it didn't have a floor but now it does. It could take a 45 probably. Its pretty heavy. And it is a tiller.
3/15/15 @ 11:08 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
thats funny nubbz cause my 14 foot mirrocraft is rated for a 40. i have a 30 4 stroke on it right now
3/14/15 @ 11:32 PM
nubbz07
User since 12/31/09
My 1st boat is a 16' mirrowcraft rated for 35hp and only has a 20 on it now. I love it. Would I rather have a 21' skeeter? Hell ya but its what I can afford. I mainly fish bago and rivers and love it. Great control and handles waves pretty well. I've fished in 3'ERS not fun but doable. Like said before if I had a buck for every eye I've brought over the side I might be able to afford a bigger boat. Lol tight lines and stay safe. PS if any ones selling a 35hp tiller let me know.
3/13/15 @ 9:32 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06
I ve seen boats like that on lake michigan before, but not endorsing doing that. If you pick and chose your times then it would be ok. I personally would try to find a 16'. If things are calm and everything is right, you would never need bigger boats.
3/12/15 @ 6:19 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
When I was 16 years old and all my buddies were getting cars and cycles, I wanted a boat. My dad was only to happy to buy me a C-14 Lund with a five horse on it. I ran that boat on Big Winnie for a decade, and Winnies close to 70,000 acres. Just pick your days, and be close to safe water if the need arrises. I'd love to have a dollar for every walleye that came over her sides!
3/12/15 @ 8:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I had a 14' deep fisherman with a floor in it, so I assume it was heavier than this boat. It had an 8HP motor and I could do 15MPH with just myself in it on a nice day. Once I got a 25HP motor it jumped up to the mid 20's and could handle rough water better. Granted mine was deeper, I used it on Lake Michigan with downriggers for salmon, Winnebago for walleyes, Green Bay, etc. Just have to watch the weather and be smart. I probably wouldn't do it as much with a shallower boat like this, but for inland lakes it would not be an issue if you ask me. My boat was rated for a 35HP motor. This one being shallower I would expect to be less. I bet a 9.9 will push it pretty good unless you really load it down (3 people). Couple things to look for when buying a boat would be that the transom is straight and solid, no missing rivots, ask to hear the motor run if possible. Check HP rating, this one is probably fine but I ran into a guy who had a 40HP motor on a boat rated for a 30HP once. Buy something like that and you are illegal right away.
3/12/15 @ 6:29 AM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05
Don't be in a hurry to jump on the first deal you see. Like merkw09 said if you post your location and price range there's a lot of people on here who might be able to help you out. I surf several boat classifieds every day just to look at different boats. Good luck.
3/12/15 @ 5:42 AM
merkw09
User since 3/2/11
I've taken a 14 footer places they should never go, but the 9.9 wont move you very quickly. Id look for something with more power. Why dont you post the nearest big city and your price range, I like looking for boats, we'll see what we can come up with.
3/11/15 @ 6:59 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
If it's what you can afford, go for it. Better than no boat. Keep saving your money and upgrade in a few years to something a little bigger or with some more power. Keep paying cash and you'll be better off than those who take out 10 year notes on a boat.
3/11/15 @ 5:40 PM
Fjd23
User since 3/11/15
I just wanted to say thank you to all the responses I've received. I recently have been bit by the fishing bug and can't seem to get enough of it. One thing that makes it all the better is how nice and helpful most fisherman are with newbies like me. I'm sure I'll be hooked for a long time to come and hope to be able to one day pass on my knowledge to help others enjoy and fall in love with the sport. Thanks to everyone for the help. Frank
Displaying 11 to 20 of 32 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE