SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Should I buy this boat?

3/11/15 @ 11:12 AM
INITIAL POST
Fjd23
User since 3/11/15
I'm a new fisherman who is looking at buying a smaller fishing boat to enjoy my new hobby. I am looking at buying a 14 Starcraft with a 9.9 evinrude 4 stroke. I was hoping this would be a good started boat to enjoy the chain and smaller lakes. People have been advising me that the size is too small. Will this be adequate to use during non peak hours on the chain? Weekdays in the morning an evenings when there's minimal traffic, or should I reconsider and go bigger? Thanks for your help New fisherman Frank
Displaying 21 to 30 of 32 posts
3/11/15 @ 5:37 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
My Up Nort boat is a 14 foot Alumacraft Lunker which is a bit deeper than that boat. I fish lakes from 80 acres to bigger waters like the Rainbow Flowage. The only time I had any issues was on the Three Lakes Chain when some jackass in a cruiser came within 30 yards of me at half throttle throwing an enormous wake. Ida got rocked in my 17 footer that I keep at home so maybe that's not a fair example of a 14 footers stability. As stated earlier, if you encounter a bigger boat, slow down and hit the wake square if you're not anchored and you should be fine.
3/11/15 @ 4:58 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
ive handles 2 to 3 foot waves with no problem in my 14 footer but you gotta go slow and ride them out or just crank it wide open and go for it. ive fished winnebago in my 14 footer. of course i have a little more hp than you do i have a 30 4 stroke on it.
3/11/15 @ 4:42 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
The boat will be just fine for smaller lakes and rivers. I grew up with a boat like that most of my life and loved it for river fishing. Excellent control. Yes, the bigger waves and big boat wash can be a concern. Enjoy it
3/11/15 @ 2:04 PM
Fjd23
User since 3/11/15
Dsinwi you are correct that is an older pic. Here's the new pic with the newer motor. Motor has very few hours on it per owner. My big concern is the size of the boat and like Snakestr said there are a lot of larger vessels with drivers who don't have consideration. I was talking about the Fox Chain of Lakes. Unfortunately at this time I can't afford much larger of a boat. I appreciate your input and can't wait till open water.
3/11/15 @ 1:50 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
Correct me if I am wrong but that is not a 4 stroke motor on that boat. Appears be an older OMC product, Johnson\Evin. Just didn't want you to be misinformed. Looks like a nice little rig and a good starter boat for you. As was said, be careful on bigger water, the weather, and others on the water. Good Luck!
Displaying 21 to 30 of 32 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE