SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Fuel adatives?

6/22/20 @ 12:14 PM
INITIAL POST
Cambridge
User since 3/21/14

Do any of you use any fuel additives on a regular basis? and if you do what kind?  My boat sits at a pier all summer and can't help but think all the hot days and cool nights has to be creating condensation in the tank.  Although i'd assume all engine makes would be interested. In my case i'm running a Evinrude E-tec

Displaying 16 to 30 of 54 posts
6/26/20 @ 11:38 AM
jrmyers
User since 4/29/20

Gentleman from Mercury told me on my new 225 Pro XS to use Quickare everytime I add gas

6/26/20 @ 10:32 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

When I had a new Optimax, the sales guy told me that there were no issues burning ethanol gas.  He told me that all engines were created to burn ethanol now.  LOL.

What a crock.  I swear they say that just so they can get that engine back into their shop to clean out the engine.

Do what you want with your engine.  Highly recommend Seafoam as it outperformed other additives that I used.  I've got no skin in this game, but I won't run my engine without having some Seafoam on hand.

6/26/20 @ 9:37 AM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

Bought my boat and motor new in 09. Mercury Optimax. Tech told me the same thing, good to run 10% ethanol fuel if you use an additive. Have run 87 octane and stabil marine since day one and no issues. 

6/26/20 @ 9:16 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

eyesman 

I have noted gas stations now that I can get alcohol free and we'll be using those in the boat from now on

I was driving by one all this time it did not know they carried it alcohol-free gas

6/26/20 @ 7:44 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

While a manufacturer may state their motor is designed to and can burn fuel with 10% alcohol they can’t engineer out the other problems associated with alcohol fuel. Those problems being how water bonds to the alcohol and is forced through the system as well as how alcohol and or the bonded water degrades the fuel cell, fuel lines, primer bulb, carburetor and other fuel system internal workings. Preventing those problems is where products like SeaFoam, Stabil and manufacturer branded fuel additives come into play. Keeping alcohol out of the fuel system to start with and using an additive is the best way to avoid fuel related problems in your toys and recreational motors that see intermittent use, operation in less than ideal conditions and seasonal storage. 

6/25/20 @ 9:56 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

According to the Mercury Marine, it's acceptable tob run gas up to 10% ethanol in their motors.  According to the Google machine, 10% ethanol is the standard for 87 octane.

Different manufacturers may have different guidelines.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/faq/?category[]=fuel-and-fuel-systems

6/25/20 @ 9:49 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Brent,

Do you have any info to back the 80% rate? Just curious.  Or is it anecdotal? 

I agree that additives are especially important when using gas with ethanol in it.

6/25/20 @ 6:17 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

This spring I repowered my river Jon boat with a 2020 Mercury 25hp four stroke. When I picked up the motor the shop manager/head mechanic walked me through the operation of the motor. A couple of things he stressed, use only alcohol free fuel, add a fuel stabilizer regularly and before winter storage. 

6/25/20 @ 6:15 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Everyone has their own perspective, so this is a good conversation!

I completely agree, if you don’t use fuel with ethanol, no concerns, just fill er’ up with 87 octane ethanol free fuel, and you’re good to go!

The above said, if you’re in my predicament (Racine County) and you can’t purchase ethanol free 87 octane fuel, a fuel maintainer / cleaner is a must! 

The maintainer is to prevent the ethanol (alcohol) from separation, and the cleaner is to prevent a gum buildup in your carbs (or injectors) when the ethanol burns, as it will leave a gummy residue. 

If you burn gas with ethanol (premium or otherwise) seafoam checks all the boxes, and will keep your engine running smooth. 

6/25/20 @ 3:50 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

I picked up my new boat today and asked the dealership that they recommended. They said the newer Mercury motors are good to go with 87 octane. Sounded strange so I made a few calls to people I know and trust, including a Mercury mechanic who also added he recommends SeaFoam at the end of the year for storage. Everybody I talked to said the same thing - new Merc takes regular gas just fine.  One guy gave me a long explanation that basically boiled down to using ethanol free gas is fine, but if I ever use regular gas after, the ethanol will break away some of the buildup because it has a degreaser in it. The break up of grease will dislodge and get stuck in places that will cause problems.  If I use regular gas from the start, this won't be an issue.  He also said to make sure I don't use premium... 87 octane and nothing end. I didn't realize premium burns hotter and some gas would be unburned and build up (obviously bad)

I have a few friends on a boat unit on a local PD. They obviously run their boats constantly, but they use regular gas and have never had motor issues.  Their recommendation was the same... 87 octane and Stabil in case it sits for a while.  

So that's my plan for the new boat. Certainly won't discredit those who use ethanol free but it sounds like my situation is good to go for regular gas and Marine Stabil.

This is info I received from people I trust, but it's certainly not me telling you what you should do.  Just passing on what I learned in the past 24 hours.

6/24/20 @ 4:39 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Try as you may, you won’t find ethanol free gas is Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, or Waukesha Counties - it’s against EPA Regulations based on the population of the county. 

So either you have to use a fuel additive (like seafoam) or drive to a county that offers ethanol free fuel.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, seaform is not only a fuel maintainer, it is also a fuel system cleaner.  When ethanol burns, it leaves behind a gummy residue, that will plug carburetors and fuel injectors, but seafoam being a cleaner, prevents that.

I put a splash of seafoam in every gas tank as a maintainer, and dump a whole can in my gas tank for winter storage.

If you have to use fuel with ethanol, seafoam will keep you out of trouble.

6/24/20 @ 4:20 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

Go to Pure Gas. They have listings for non-ethynol gas.

6/24/20 @ 4:13 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

Since we're on the topic, any recommendations near Waukesha for where to get ethanol free gas? 

6/24/20 @ 3:36 PM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
User since 3/26/19

sea foam marine

225 pro xs

6/24/20 @ 3:09 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
  • Seafoam
  • Cleans fuel injector and carburetor passageways
  • Cleans intake valve and chamber deposits
  • Lubricates upper cylinders
  • Stabilizes gas & diesel fuels up to 2 years

• Seafoam Pro Marine 
  • Add to fuel system to clean fuel injectors & carburetor jets
  • Cleans & lubricates critical upper engine areas
  • Helps reduce long-term engine wear
  • Helps prevent corrosion caused by ethanol & water
  • Stabilizes tank fuel up to 2 years
  • Sea Foam Marine PRO 20 oz $9.99  SALE
Displaying 16 to 30 of 54 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE