SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Unique situation

11/28/19 @ 11:35 PM
INITIAL POST
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Alright I'm looking for opinions  on how this situation should be handled. I drew a picture to help picture the situation.

My family and I have a property that consist of 55 acres. We bought it in 2010 and in 2012 I put a stand up (gun stand) on the north end of the property about 100 yards away from the the north boarder. It over looks a 2-3 acre little point on the creek that the deer bed in. It's a textbook spot and in the last 6 years, we shot 6-7 good quality mature deer from this spot. See deer all day long. Just a spot that everybody wish they could hunt and we are fortunate to have it.

Here is the problem, the deer come off the two surrounding properties to enter this bedding area and that's when we get our opportunity. Well we shoot the deer on our property (and have passed many on the neighbors land or waited til they get to ours) they run on to the neighbors, weather it be 10 yards to maybe 100 yards. We always text or call asking to retrieve the deer. Well he seems to think this is a problem and is getting to the point where he may not let us in anymore to get the deer.

I feel like we have done nothing wrong and we just have a unique situation here. 1) the stand is 100 yard off the board and facing into our property 2) all deer are shot on our land and passed if not 3) we always ask permission to retrieve deer no matter what

Am I missing something, how should I handle this and what is the best way to go about hunting our best spot. Just puzzled

Displaying 31 to 45 of 59 posts
11/30/19 @ 11:53 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

"Spine shots"...."neck meets body shots"

Whoo boy, what could go wrong there???

11/30/19 @ 10:37 AM
svitreum
jitterbug1962
User since 12/14/14

Take better closer shots only, possibly spine shots so they drop or only shoot deer that pass by you more onto your land (I understand that is not ideal). Do you and your bordering neighbors have the same views on deer management? QDM? Could be the issue or maybe he just wants to be able to hunt his land without distractions. I do understand his view and would appreciate. I have passed on many large bucks because they were close to the property line (always another day). Sometimes not worth taking the chance. The only winners are the coyotes if there is not respectful relationships.

11/30/19 @ 9:46 AM
Bucks n ducks
PRO MEMBER User since 1/16/18

How far off the property line is you bedding area, to me it looks real close. How far into your property are they when your shooting them. It may not be very neighborly to be shooting deer as soon as they cross onto your property. Yeah, you have the right to shoot them as soon as they step onto your property,  but he also has the right not to let you onto his for tracking. Bigger caliber gun, or wait until they cross further into your property if possible.

11/30/19 @ 9:44 AM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

On a broadside deer, shoot right where the neck meets the body and they go straight down, and usually are dead within moments of hitting the  ground.

11/29/19 @ 9:13 PM
Twig "SNAP"
User since 2/13/11

Apparently your neighbors have better spots or are too slow to figure out the deer movement patterns by your success and cut you off before they get to you. I've had great funnels pinched off by neighbors, all you can do is adapt. Can't blame them either for figuring it out that's the game we play. We have reciprocal tracking agreements with all of our immediate neighbors and have all used that agreement to track deer. I needed it this year myself but it's usually rare on all sides to use it. Best of luck.

11/29/19 @ 7:28 PM
og tower
User since 8/26/12

I believe if you go onto your neighbors property looking for deer and leave your scent all over his woods it will definitely affect his hunt. I would probably not be overly enthused letting people on my land to search for a deer if it happened every year. I have never had a deer run over 100 yards though, maybe you need to give it some more time to expire. 

11/29/19 @ 4:11 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

How big is that bedding area on the other side of the creek that’s on your 55 acres?  How many of the 6-7 bucks crossed property lines after being hit?

11/29/19 @ 2:57 PM
cheese nips
User since 2/3/09

I agree with the ones who say "bigger gun, heavier bullet, front shoulder shot. " Sure you might waste some venison but you won't have to bother the neighbor. It would ruin your season if the buck of your dreams made it to the neighbors and they refused you access to retrieve it. I also agree that if it occurs too often it becomes a routine that should be avoided.

11/29/19 @ 12:17 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I agree Welder Guy.  My dream is to own land but if I did and neighbors were semi-routinely asking to trail deer onto it I would not like that.  I get it happens and if it's rare that's different, but all the time would be a bit annoying.  Also, could you imagine opening morning, just buying your dream of land with a lot of your hard earned money, and neighbor needs to blood trail a deer all over your land?  Maybe one not hit well to boot?  What a nightmare.  Of course you want reciprocity if you need to trail one, but you don't plan on doing it and make sure it's rare.  Especially when the point of owning land is to have control over it.  I'd move the stand or make sure I drop them.  I don't blame the neighbor if this is happening a lot. 

11/29/19 @ 11:32 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Maybe they are sore or jealous that ur getting nice bucks and they aren’t?  Maybe the landowner is not a “people” person and just wants to hunt his property without having neighbors bothering him to ask for permission to go on his land? How often do u have to ask to go on his land to trail or retrieve deer? Every year? Multiple times a year?  The way I am I do all of my work in the woods during the summer and don’t like to set foot on the land after August as to not disturb the area. I lease a 40 that I split with a family member and even though we agree to stay out of the woods after August they still insist on going in there to work moving stands, scouting, cutting limbs or whatever and it’s highly annoying. Maybe this guy just flat out doesn’t want his woods disturbed by you or anyone?? Most deer I have shot with a gun in my life have not gone more than 75yds so maybe move the blind? Or just let deer come in further so you can avoid disturbing this guy?

11/29/19 @ 11:02 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

300 weatherby mag through front shoulders.  That or let them get 50 more yards and make sure your gun is good and on.

11/29/19 @ 10:47 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Do deer that they shoot ever end up on your side of the property line? If they are serious about not letting you retrieve deer on their property, remind them that relationships work both ways. While being cordial of course.

11/29/19 @ 8:31 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I would try to kill them with kindness. Even though it appears that everything you’re doing is legal and ethical, take a humble approach and acknowledge that this is an inconvenience to the other land owners. A genuine token of appreciation goes a long way. Bring them some venison summer sausage, have your wife make a pie, etc. You get the idea. I make maple syrup in the spring and share that with people who give me access to hunt or track in various places.

Obviously, pick your shots very carefully. I get the drift that this is primarily a gun stand. I never advocate shooting them through both shoulders because it wastes an unreasonable amount of meat, but it should be extremely rare for a deer to go 100yds after being hit with a rifle. 

Lastly, I realize every neighbor dynamic is different. For me personally, as a land owner, I’d much rather get a knock on the door with a sincere request to retrieve a deer than a text message. 

11/29/19 @ 7:42 AM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

I guess my ? Is how far are the deer onto your land when you shoot. Might have to let them get farther on yours so they have less time to travel on neighbors.  I know this is not a popular idea, but with a gun shoot at the front shoulders,  usually drops them on the spot, saves tracking.

11/29/19 @ 7:20 AM
Safe Hunt
User since 11/2/12

First, congrats on a great piece of property and figuring it out.

Some questions.

1) what percent of your deer shot are making it off of the property

2) two different neighbors, how many have made it to each

3) we all hunt so we know some of these deer are going to need to be trailed

4) your stand is 100 yds from property line, it would be interesting to know where deer are when shot

5) do neighbors question if you are shooting onto their land

6) are both neighbors questioning access

7) if they won’t let you recover deer, do they intend to tecover

8) do you all try to pass on small deer etc, is there agreement on type of bucks to be taken or not

9) is this issue all season or does it peak on opening weekend when a lot of people in woods 

10) do you go in during light, which affects and disturbs their hunt

We have a really similar circumstance and are good w neighbors on all of the above, but it’s critical we not shoot across the lines and communicate about what we have, see and manage

Last, if you are interested in selling, please pm me

Displaying 31 to 45 of 59 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE