SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Unique situation

11/28/19 @ 11:35 PM
INITIAL POST
MightyHunter
User since 3/25/06

Alright I'm looking for opinions  on how this situation should be handled. I drew a picture to help picture the situation.

My family and I have a property that consist of 55 acres. We bought it in 2010 and in 2012 I put a stand up (gun stand) on the north end of the property about 100 yards away from the the north boarder. It over looks a 2-3 acre little point on the creek that the deer bed in. It's a textbook spot and in the last 6 years, we shot 6-7 good quality mature deer from this spot. See deer all day long. Just a spot that everybody wish they could hunt and we are fortunate to have it.

Here is the problem, the deer come off the two surrounding properties to enter this bedding area and that's when we get our opportunity. Well we shoot the deer on our property (and have passed many on the neighbors land or waited til they get to ours) they run on to the neighbors, weather it be 10 yards to maybe 100 yards. We always text or call asking to retrieve the deer. Well he seems to think this is a problem and is getting to the point where he may not let us in anymore to get the deer.

I feel like we have done nothing wrong and we just have a unique situation here. 1) the stand is 100 yard off the board and facing into our property 2) all deer are shot on our land and passed if not 3) we always ask permission to retrieve deer no matter what

Am I missing something, how should I handle this and what is the best way to go about hunting our best spot. Just puzzled

Displaying 16 to 30 of 59 posts
12/2/19 @ 6:53 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

A well placed shot should have your deer down 50 yards maximum, with 20-30 yards ideal. If its running farther than that something is wrong with bullet type or placement.

12/1/19 @ 10:47 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Of course you want to get along great with neighbors.  Heck u and they may need the courtesy someday.  But to the op, if it is a routine thing where u almost plan on tracking onto neighbors, that would be an issue.  Deer runs a little further etc, it happens but should be exception not the rule.  Again this is just regarding initial post.  This isnt saying never let neighbors do this.  Most here are reasonable. But if its every year or multiple times a year, you should change how you do things.  Free reign is not the right answer.  As a neighbor you need to be helpful to avoid this as much as possible.  So if my neighbor was calling all the time, yes I'd take issue with it.  Once every few years?  Sure I'll help u find it and celebrate.  Like most debates this has turned into an all or nothing thing.  Either never let them or give them free access to your land.  Like most things the answer is in the middle.  Try to avoid it but have good relationships in a hopefully rare circumstance.  

12/1/19 @ 7:35 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

The world is full of bickering, life is soooooo much easier when folks get along, and show each other mutual consideration...

Plus, folks have a hard time being salty when someone brings them a 60 dollar bottle along with a sincere thank you. Showing consideration goes a long way with most people. 

12/1/19 @ 6:44 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

MH-

The best communication is a straight line.

Go visit your neighbor in person, with a good bottle of bourbon (or something similar you think he may like.) 

Give him a sincere thanks for the courtesy that he has extended to you, and ask him openly and honesty what his pain points are. 

Right now you’re just guessing. Who knows, maybe your screwing up his hunt, maybe he feels your getting first crack at the big ones, or maybe it is as simple as he just doesn’t like visitors on his property. 

Once you know what is bothering him, you can take steps to remedy it, and you might just make a new hunting bud. 

The alternative is things will keep going south, and you will have continual conflict (which is no fun), that won’t end until one of you doesn’t hunt anymore. 

Suck it up, put on your best face, walk over to his house (bottle in hand), and have a conversation...

Even if you don’t like what you hear, you’ll at least know what to try and avoid. 

12/1/19 @ 6:29 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13

I tried the walmart bags, but they are a little to light duty.  I prefer the much stronger fleet farm bags.  Although they are a bit dangerous being mostly white in color. Some body may mistake me for a elk.  In the future I will probably switch to the festival yellow bags.  

12/1/19 @ 12:52 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Agreed. That was pretty damn funny. 

12/1/19 @ 10:17 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess

That was darn funny AATR!

Thanks for making me spit my coffee out lol. 

Appreciate the morning chuckle. 

12/1/19 @ 9:45 AM
Asleep at the Reel
User since 3/23/12

Never realized how many snipers hang out on L-L.  You guys military trained?  Shot 600 deer and dropped no more than 50 feet away.  Damn impressed here.

I like to shoot the front left foot to render deer immobile then suffocate em with a Piggly Wiggly bag.  Saves most of the meat except the foot meat which is tough anyways.

11/30/19 @ 8:18 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

madforlabe it sounds like Brews knows exactly what he is talking about, because he has actually made the neck body shot. If you know people who have hit a deer in the head while aiming for the neck/body connection, that's not a 5 or 6 inch miss, that is a 16 inch miss. Plus you would have to be off both horizontally and vertically.  The op's issue is anchoring them on his own property, and not having a lot of room to do it, so dropping them on the spot is a viable option to get that done. If one needs a shooting support or more practice, so be it, but don't blame it on the shot selection. BTY, I would not recommend shooting for the spine on the body, as someone suggested. 

11/30/19 @ 6:29 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

I read this in the morning and had to think about this situation a bit. In the end I came up with this:

If you can't drop them on your property then don't take the shot.

11/30/19 @ 4:16 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Off by 6 inches is a gut shot deer alot of times verses a miss aiming at neck. Yes its horrible seeing wounded deer and it will happen regardless. Its not for everybody,  just another idea to the original problem. 

11/30/19 @ 3:37 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Brews, you truly have no idea what you're talking about. Here, we're dealing with a guy who apparently has trouble anchoring deer and you're advocating a smaller kill zone. Heart/lung zone is much larger and more forgiving if you're off by 5 or 6 inches.

I've seen a few deer with some horrible head wounds caused by hunters going for a neck shot. Dispatched one starving to death a number of years ago because its lower jaw was shot off.

Our OP doesn't need new aiming points. He needs better proficiency making ethical shots.

11/30/19 @ 2:05 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I know what the neighbor is thinking. He is tired of you running on his land .  This type of courtesy is not supposed to be a regular ongoing agreement. It is for that few times in a life where it just happens  but seems to be happening way too much. There is also more to the story . We have not heard his side yet from the horses mouth. He likely is not getting much for deer cause of the bucks you are beating him to. You bow hunt but he only gun hunts right? and there is not a whole lot left come gun season????  There is a reason. Maybe you should ask him if he  got a buck yet and if not, let him use your stand once in a while. Tough pill to swallow, sure , but there is more to this story, and there is nothing unique about this situation. A friend of mine hunts his friend property and a deer ran on the neighbors. Neighbor came out and refused to let entry . My friend says the deer died for nothing but I am not sure it was even hit so now you have two guys tromping on the neighbors land on opening day screwing up the neighbors hunt. 

11/30/19 @ 1:47 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

Neck shot is usually dead deer instantly or grazed and little harm done or completely missed.  Better than gut shot.

11/30/19 @ 1:35 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

What could go wrong on neck meats body shots...pretty much nothing. If you can't  make the shot, then don't  take it. The ones I've  taken  have been on standing deer, and they drop on the  spot, and they are dead before you can walk up to them.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 59 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE