MORE
Big Game Hunting

2023 gun season

11/18/23 @ 6:20 AM
INITIAL POST
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21

Getting ready to wander out in the woods. Good luck to all and stay safe. Let's see some pics!!!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 82 posts
11/24/23 @ 9:49 PM
Direwolf66
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/20
Lol, we are not really neighbors but close. We are off Tower Rd closer to Winter 
11/24/23 @ 9:46 PM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
Finally got deer. One daughter got a doe and I got a little 8pt. Hopefully other daughter gets one tomorrow morning. 
2023 gun season photo by SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
11/24/23 @ 7:17 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Kind of,,, I am south of HWY W and 4 miles east of M. I'm on Down River Road  all the way to the end. I dont want to give anymore info cause there are just so many deer there . Snicker. Kidding side, if I went through the woods and go north west , it would likely only be about 5 miles away. ​
11/24/23 @ 9:39 AM
Direwolf66
Ihook are you close to Conners lake and Lake of the Pines?
11/24/23 @ 9:07 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
  Oh come on Get The Net,,, you will be back! Once you get the big woods bug , you can never quite get it out of you.The big woods is a different world. It is not really a place you go to get deer, you go to relax, see a deer here and there and not see a hunter . I have not seen a hunter across the river since 2009. I like that. it's tough hunting , but different. I hunt  S.E. Wisconsin now days  where I live and get a deer most years.  A lot depends on where you live and if you have a nice place to stay. If you are in a tent, you can just up and move. I have a cabin so it doesnt move. If I had a tent, I would look to Delta co. Upper Michigan. Big woods if you want , but southern Delta has way more deer  that the big woods but still plenty of public.   
11/24/23 @ 8:27 AM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13
Deer camp 2023 , tough hunting where we go , one group of does opening day, she’s going for truck ride to Illinois later today, calling it today. Not coming back here anymore northern rusk county. End of an era. Nice buck f-v.
11/24/23 @ 7:17 AM
Direwolf66
I hunt that area also, we hunt paper land not the Flambeau and you are exactly right. The big woods has changed since we started up there in the mid 90s. We managed 1 buck this year. There are lot less people by us. The paper company doesn't open the gates anymore and not many people want to work that hard. Deer population is low up there but to be honest I enjoy the less hunters and having the woods to myself. 
11/23/23 @ 10:31 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Why thanks River Chaser!! That means a lot to me. I dont complain or cry, I just say it like it is. Also, I shot a grouse last week too. There sure are grouse that is for sure.  In some ways, I like the fact that there is almost no shooting. By Monday morning , I think there were more hunters emptying their guns than shooting deer. I love it up there, just not much for deer. Later, ihookem.
11/23/23 @ 9:45 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Flambeau Joe youre right on. The deer are sparse up there and even more sparse than 10 years ago. from what I see. I have more action grouse hunting. See more grouse than deer for sure.
11/23/23 @ 1:50 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Schwingodees,  I was very clear that I had a good time up and my cabin, and I dont complain, I just say it like it is It is very poor hunting up there but ,, like i said, I hunted Tuesday for 2 hours and had a doe on the ground in 2 hours. This way , I get the best of both worlds,, big wood hunting despite very few deer , and then come home and get my deer in a day or two.. Now, Schingodees , you and the  5 that "liked" your comment are more than welcome to put me on mute, if you can't handle the truth... As for me, I was offered $125,000 for it by a very rich neighbor and still did not bother. I can go anywhere in the world and hunt. Africa ,out west, Alaska , Newfoundland , no problem. I keep the land cause it is the very best river frontage I have ever seen , and it is slowly becoming residential property and the value keeps going up. As for me and the few that dont have me on ignore, likely will agree I keep the land for capital gains, cheap taxes, good smallmouth fishing on the Flambeau River. , some of the best bear hunting in Wisconsin to boot.  I payed $3,000 for that property in 1989, ( likely before you were born)  and it ain't eatin no hay just sitting there. Now, if ya want me to leave this dying message board, just say ya want me gone and I just might leave . Hardly anyone posting anymore anyway , and for good reason.
11/23/23 @ 10:53 AM
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
SkiLLz~4~GiLLz
User since 7/29/21
Bucks starting to get up and move around,unfortunately the movement is at night. Sat this morning and saw zip. Back at it this afternoon. Happy Thanksgiving to all and stay safe everyone. Hopefully see some more pics. Good luck to those of us still in pursuit.
11/23/23 @ 8:58 AM
Hothead
User since 10/9/05
Well heading back to town for Thanksgiving this morning.  Saw deer everyday but most didn't give me a clear or good shot. And the few that did were opening weekend when I was still looking for big boy. Good luck to everyone who is still hunting and stay safe.  
11/23/23 @ 7:57 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
FV-  That is a good public land/Northern WI buck.. Congrats!!!!
11/22/23 @ 9:39 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20
Finally got it done this afternoon In vilas County public land only the second buck I've shot in my 43 years on this planet not a giant but a very respectable buck nonetheless. Lots of happy dances today lol. Good luck to everyone still hunting be safe out there!
2023 gun season photo by Fv.screaming drags.com
11/22/23 @ 2:22 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Good points there JC.  I assumed bow hunters are going to crossbows, and you are right , it cost me $175 to go to my cabin and back with food and gas. Cheap trip , but still, I went home Monday Morning  said bye to my cabin and likely wont see it till spring. I get up Tuesday and thought if it stopped snowing in SE.Wis. ( Washington co.) my chances are fair that I would see a deer.  I'm in a stand at 3PM Tues. and by 4;42 I have a doe on the ground 4 miles from my house on the nastiest public land on earth... Now, I went 486 mi. to my cabin and back , had a very nice time by myself , saw my 1st buck in 14 yrs. and a doe to boot , no shot but still, the weasel was fun to watch. Nothing else but timber wolf howling opening morning. Down by my home , I got my deer in 2 hours, and a grand total of  8 miles.. The last 6 deer I got were down here , and there was only one shot besides mine. Like you say , why go up north again?
Displaying 46 to 60 of 82 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE