MORE
Big Game Hunting

2021 Deer season

11/4/21 @ 8:27 PM
INITIAL POST
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Edit: I meant to say Gun deer season.

I will be in Shawano county. Weather looks really nice. Very excited as usual. I loves me some opening days.

Anyone hunting MN opener? It's gonna be 60*, glad I didn't plan on it. 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 169 posts
12/9/21 @ 9:12 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I agree that you guys can keep it in the southern part of the state.    I just complain because we want to hunt up north. 

I picked up my kids yesterday and had 1 hour of shooting time left.  Got to my stand with 30 minutes left.  Figured nothing would move until last light and it was the last day so who cares.  20 minutes later I had a couple deer coming my way, so it actually worked.  They hit my tracks about 80 yards away and instantly blew.  Safe to say they are a little skittish.  I laughed because I wasn't super serious to begin with and walking in, I thought boy I don't like that I have to walk through this area, wish I had a better trail to my stand.  Then sure enough they hit my tracks.  

12/8/21 @ 4:35 PM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

Just to clarify, it is an antlerless hunt not simply a doe hunt.  As a result, bucks will be shot.  I suspect our DNR has some formula they use to estimate how many antlerless tags filled throughout all seasons are actually young bucks.

12/8/21 @ 2:00 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I will be out for the doe hunt. I am in favor of it. Here is why. I only hunt SE Wis. for the does. We dont shoot does up north. I want one deer per year , buck or doe. It does not matter if I shoot one in October like I did a few years ago , or Dec. 9th - 12th. It is one deer.  I have not shot 2 deer in one year in 15 yrs .I believe in long seasons but have more restrictions on the harvest, like one doe per year and no more . One buck per year , and no more. No party tagging, and likely a few others . Like one poster said back in this thread, there is no reason to go deer hunting anymore, except for the enjoyment. There is no longer the excuse " I need to feed my family garbage" . If that is the case, you already have a government EBT card and your food is mostly free anyway.

12/8/21 @ 1:41 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

lakeshiner - at least you don't have the 'Holiday Hunt' also. Now that is stupid. Alot of guys have off between Christmas and New years and can't even bow hunt for a buck. 

I am not a fan of this 4 day doe hunt this weekend. However, there is one benefit. I got invited for a deer drive this weekend on some private land in SW WI that I would never get to hunt if we could also shoot bucks. But since it is doe only, the landowner does not care how many people come out to help drive. I have been told in years past on this drive they kick out anywhere between 50 -100 deer.  They are hoping to shoot 12 on Saturday morning, more if possible. The landowner loves this season. They don't shoot any does all year until this weekend. This way they are not messing up areas blood trailing/ gutting deer. They also get a feel where the population is and come up with a number to take out after gun season. They have way too many deer in this area so they need to thin the herd a little bit. No public land close by either - go figure. 

I am stoked, I have never been part of a drive where seeing 50 -100 deer is normal. That is more deer than I have probably seen in the past 5 years combined.

12/8/21 @ 10:16 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Happens every year, Happens again for the 'Holiday Hunt'. Folks believe its statewide, without looking at their area.

12/8/21 @ 8:56 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

None by us...I had forgotten about that stupid doe hunt.  This weekend its just my son and I and he mentioned going out with the crossbow because he has his buck tag yet.  I haven't been to our cabin in Price county for almost a month so we were going to do that.  Right on queue a camera I have out sent a pic of a decent buck by one of my stands where I have a licking branch setup.  Had some does walk past each day, so for northwoods that has been pretty good.  Then I remembered this doe hunt and it put a damper on that idea.  Won't be able to go back up until New Years weekend now, not sure we'll have the same motivation then.  I wish this hunt was just in the south or not at all.  I see no reason for a doe only hunt in northern WI.....guess we'll be looking for safe ice.

12/8/21 @ 8:54 AM
perchin1989
perchin1989
User since 9/14/15

More than any sportsman would like to know. Goes well with hearing rifle shots when you're in your stand with your muzzleloader close to and after shooting hours.

12/7/21 @ 4:52 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

How many bucks will be shot Thursday through Sunday?

12/5/21 @ 6:21 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I got your message but it does not seem to be returning . Sorry to all if Im derailing the board .

12/5/21 @ 5:06 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

ihook- I am getting your messages but I don't think your getting my replies? I replied twice.

12/4/21 @ 6:48 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Ihook- As I read the messenger instructions once we are "friends" you can now send me a message.

12/4/21 @ 10:54 AM
Direwolf66
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/20

We drove the thornapple grade the friday before opener. It's very close to where you guys are talking about. I couldn't believe how many trucks were parked along it. Had to 50 of them. I couldn't help thinking no wonder nobody sees deer anymore everyone alerts them to deer season the day before by tromping through the best spots?

12/4/21 @ 10:43 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
User since 7/24/01

Ihook- I got the request but could not see the message you sent? I think you have to allow me to see it somehow? I'm not sure how it works exactly.

12/4/21 @ 8:47 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Frenchbritt, thanks for your reply. The Georgetown loop is west of Phillips on W. It is really Skinner Creek rd and goes all the way dow to HWY8.  I am not sure where Hines grade is, and am amazed at how many hunters were there. It used to be like that all over and glad it is not around me. I have a PM for you. 

12/4/21 @ 7:10 AM
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
Bassmaster+recordracks 2
PRO MEMBER User since 7/24/20

I get the reason why there is a lack of deer hunters. What I don’t get is where are they going to get away from wives and girlfriends?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 169 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE