SEARCH
MORE
Archery

Price County deer hunting

11/3/15 @ 11:02 AM
INITIAL POST
wale
User since 2/12/13
Just want to start this because I'm not always up but like to know what is happening. So hopefully there is people that are hunting up here.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 86 posts
11/13/19 @ 1:16 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Had a small buck on camera by my stand during daylight when I was not there on 3 different occasions.  While there last weekend I saw nothing of course.  Gotta pick the right day, I don't plan on being picky.  Don't have that luxury like some do.

Heading up tonight to give it another go.  Nothing more fun than freezing outside looking at nothing.

11/12/19 @ 8:21 AM
lightning95
lightning95
User since 1/7/14

Hunted our land off County I in Ogema this past weekend.  Had a small six point come in to the call Friday evening.  30 yards and no shot.  No deer sighted Saturday, so cleared some shooting lanes.  Was about to get out of stand Sunday morning, but decided to give the doe bleat one more shot.  A really nice eight point came trotting in fast.  Was on my weak side, so had to stand and turn.  Buck saw me and bolted before I could draw.  Exciting weekend.  Two bucks at close range in three days.  Lots of nocturnal movement though, just not much moving during daylight. 

11/11/19 @ 6:39 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Near Prentice

11/11/19 @ 6:29 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

What part of Price county? You can be in Price county and be hunting on some darn good land around Ogema and Spirit, or you can be on almost a wilderness area. I have land near Price Creek Road. Some call it the Big Block. It is all woods and no farms for a long ways. There is very little for deer sign there, at least as of Oct. 26. I'm sure there is a bit more now , however so dismal that hunting there does not make sense. An old friend has land just out of Ogema and he sees quite a few deer. 

11/9/19 @ 7:08 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

I grouse hunted up here a couple times this year. I don't see a ton of deer sign, but I do see trails, tracks and rubs everytime I'm up. There's definitely deer to shoot no question.

11/7/19 @ 9:52 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Lakeshiner, you cut 2 deer tracks in a 2 mile loop!!  I'd say that is looking good except it was likely the same deer!!!!! Ha ha.  Welcome to Price co.!  All kidding aside , this will likely be a tough year. We had good numbers spring of 2018 and the fall was not bad . We could actually walk in the woods and see a few deer when grouse hunting . This year, after -43 below and 40" snow on the ground till the end of April, it will be a tough year. I'm done caring however and might not even go opening day of deer up there . I have gone 30 yrs in a row. This year my son and I might not bother. I might stay down here and wait out the crowds, or just go walk around and see if I can get away from all the people.

11/6/19 @ 9:35 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

There were a ton of people around my area last weekend.  Not sure who was grouse hunting vs deer though.  Checked my cameras and had 4 bucks last week go by.  Only one during daylight, a small spike.  No does at all, weird...

Talked to a few people in the area.  Guys further south seem optimistic, guys further north its the usual.  I can't say more are around us, I actually walked in with fresh snow and cut 2 tracks in a 2 mile loop I did.  They were digging around for acorns, lots of them around this year.  One of them actually was near my stand, it just didn't go in front of the camera.  I'm going to be optimistic and say it was during daylight.

Heading up Friday to hunt, should be lots of....boredom haha.  Just takes one though.

11/3/19 @ 7:12 PM
Loretta  08
Loretta 08
User since 12/29/11

I was  up  oct. 19th weekend  off hwy d,  20  minutes from phillips .hunted 30 acres private: surrounded  by a hay field ,  10 acres of standing corn  , and big woods to the  north .  saw 6 different deer while in stand  mature doe , fawns , yearling does, and a 1 1/2  spiker. land owner said deer numbers are on the rise ; as he sees them daily. He also stated the buck numbers were increasing and there were some 3 1/2 -4 1/2  year old bucks running around .He has a good number of bear around usually , but hasn't seen any wolves in a while .  Its good to get away  from the armys of people in southeastern wi. 

10/28/19 @ 9:06 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Price co. deer hunting is a lot worse than last year. I was there for 3 days last week and found 2 rubs in 4 miles of scouting. I also found 2 scrapes. We had 2 bucks so far this year on the cam and were very small, one so small I dont think I can call it legal. The grouse numbers are way down too. However, for a while, I thought my son and I were the only ones on the face of the earth. We could not hear any sounds of man at all for most of time we were there except I heard a few shots , saw a jet and heard an airplane . The place is dead, and for good reason too. The parcel of land to my east and west have been for sale for 14 months and no offers . That is not exactly a bad thing neither.

10/22/19 @ 9:29 AM
GillpillZ
User since 12/7/10

Anyone finding scrapes around? I checked cameras last week and didnt have any bucks on camera since i set it out weekend after opener.  Gonna have to find some new grounds away from the cabin this year. Last year was very disappointing with bucks compared to other years looks to be even worse this year.

10/18/18 @ 9:56 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I'm fairly optimistic. I hunted the youth hunt with my son and he shot a spiker the first day.  We saw 4 deer total up to that point.  When we got his deer out there were 3 more next to the road by our truck. 

I checked out one of my spots I plan to archery hunt and put a camera out, had a doe and fawns right by the tree I normally sit in.  Of course I jumped them...but was a good sign anyways.  Also had a doe and fawn right by the road where I turned in.

Not sure if I've seen more than last year, but definitely some around.  Seems a little better to me but who knows. Good to see the fawns around.  Have a few fawns by our cabin too.

10/17/18 @ 4:08 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I have not hunted there this year yet. I did check my trail cams in mid August and only one buck all summer, a few other deer, some bear and no wolves but a few coyotes. Par for the course in Price co. It was a very late winter. I was there on April 25th and there were bare spots all over but also 12" of snow in a lot of places so it turned out to be a tough winter after all. with a high WSI number of about 100. I didn't however find any wolf kills but did have 2 wolves on the cam last winter. 

10/14/18 @ 7:08 PM
wale
User since 2/12/13

Hey everyone hunting price county just checking in on the hunting has been for everyone in the Northwoods? Haven’t been really out much with an injury I had I put out my first camera this weekend. But I’m heading out west Wednesday. So after that I’ll finally set out more then one camera. 

12/17/17 @ 8:06 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

My son and I didn't see a deer. I saw a bear opening day at 8:30 and that was it. There is very little buck rubs or scrapes but it is still getting better. I just dont know where the deer went this year. we usually see something. I may head 30 miles south and try some public land and see what happens.

11/15/17 @ 11:57 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I had a couple little bucks on camera during the day but the bigger ones were at night.  A few does going past daily but no one following them. 

Tracks in the snow were average by me, nothing to get overly excited about.  I will say though that half the time I've walked in I've visually seen a deer.  This last weekend I actually had deer tracks on my own tracks from 30 minutes prior, so I just missed walking into another one.  Some around.

We had 2 small bucks walk past our cabin on a doe search as well.  My kids were pretty excited and my wife will be sitting back there for gun season.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 86 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE