SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

LAWS FOR SHOOTING WITHIN 100 YARDS OF A HOUSE

11/13/17 @ 11:43 AM
INITIAL POST
eagle17
User since 1/15/03

My dad has a neighbor that lets a couple people hunt her property. Today my dad noticed a new ground blind set up just off the property line and within abut 60 yards of my dads house. I read the law on the DNR website but need a little clarification. It states if the hunter does not own the property they are hunting, they need permission from the landowner to shoot within 100 yards of their house. Does that also apply to any surrounding houses? Would he need my fathers permission to shoot? Thanks in advance.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 31 posts
11/14/17 @ 1:36 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Why on earth are you waiting until Saturday, with the chance of ruining your and/or his hunt to deal with it on opening day?

Call the DNR.  Call the Sheriff.  Have your dad speak to the neighbor.  Deal with it now and don't fret Saturday.

11/14/17 @ 7:12 AM
eagle17
User since 1/15/03

I would say no to the bow just because he gun hunts the land every year. He usually sits in a little shed behind her house. I guess we will see come Saturday. 

11/14/17 @ 6:11 AM
eagle17
User since 1/15/03

Thanks for the responses. This was just put up. I was there 2 weeks ago for an entire week bow hunting and it was not there. You can see it while standing on the back deck. The lady that owns the property is on good terms with my dad. Her husband passed a few years back. This guy with the blind lives out on the main road and has been hunting her property since. 

11/13/17 @ 11:58 PM
wingsnfins
wingsnfins
User since 10/5/05

Contacting either agency will suffice, the DNR will refer you to the Sheriff's Office as the statutory restriction for this is a crime as defined under Chapter 941 Crimes-Public Health and Safety.  The actual SS is 941.20 Endangering Safety by Use of Dangerous Weapon. (1) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:

(d)  While on the lands of another discharges a firearm within 100 yards of any building devoted to human occupancy situated on and attached to the lands of another without the express permission of the owner or occupant of the building. "Building" as used in this paragraph does not include any tent, bus, truck, vehicle, or similar portable unit.

Not looking for an argument, it has nothing to do with hunting, and applies under any circumstance when the elements set forth in par (d) are met.  

11/13/17 @ 10:04 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Trespassing is dealt with thru the sheriff. Discharging a firearm too close to a dwelling is a hunting violation. Call the DNR.

Tim 

11/13/17 @ 8:20 PM
wingsnfins
wingsnfins
User since 10/5/05

If your father is on good terms with the neighbor, handle it with that conversation and information I provided below regarding the State Statute, it is a Class A Misdemeanor.

If that fails, contact the Sheriff's Office directly, this, like trespassing violations is not an area that the DNR has statutorial authority over.

11/13/17 @ 8:09 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Start with DNR, but it may end up with a Sheriff Deputy there making contact. The DNR is the place to start though.

I would get on it... there is the remote chance, that whoever put the blind up there doesn't know the house is there?  Doubt it, but may be.

...leave a message on the blind...

This may sound good... but this move will just end up getting you a trespassing ticket. lol

11/13/17 @ 7:50 PM
wingsnfins
wingsnfins
User since 10/5/05

Wi SS 941.20 (d)

If the neighbor is letting another person hunt on her land and said person wishes to discharge a firearm, said person needs the express permission of the owner or occupant of any building devoted to human occupancy within 100 yards. 

Thus, said person would need express permission from your father even though they are not discharging the firearm on his property. The only exemption is the owner themselves, meaning she could discharge a firearm on her own property within 100 yards without any one's permission. The "owner" must be the person listed on the deed, can't even be a family member.

I hunted ducks for many years on the south end of Lake Winnebago from my Uncle's property. I still needed permission from each resident to both sides within 100 yards to do so, as I am not the owner.

Hope that helps. 

11/13/17 @ 7:31 PM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04

""within abut 60 yards of my dads house.""

LoL.

You've got to be kidding me.  What kind of POC would have the balls to do that just to shoot a stupid whitetail?   wow.

11/13/17 @ 6:42 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Is the blind for bow hunting?? If it is being used for gun hunt I think your dad should nip that in the bud immediately by contacting the landowner, and if he cannot, leave a message on the blind, or call whatever authorities have the power to issue a warning. I would probably start with law enforcement, and if they say it is not their problem call dnr. Pretty sure the reg is shooting a firearm not a bow within 100 yds. Yes it does say that THE landowner may do so but some one who does not own the land must have permission from " your  dad "

11/13/17 @ 2:58 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I learned first hand that you need to be over 100 yards from a neighboring dwelling unless you have permission.  I learned this from the police officer that was responding to a complaint against me from my uncle's hillbilly neighbors.  Good thing I had my range finder with to prove I was well past 100 yards.

11/13/17 @ 1:23 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

My interpret of the law is the ground blind owner needs to be atleast 100 yards from the human occpied dweling or have permission from the said dwelling owner. 

11/13/17 @ 12:53 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Page 16 of the Deer hunting pamphlet says this:

It is illegal to discharge a rifle "within 100 yards of a building devoted to human occupancy while on lands the hunter does not own without the permission of the owner or occupant of the building."

So, no, those people cannot shoot from that blind without your permission.  BUT, based on those specific words, it kinda sounds like the neighbor (owner) could theoretically shoot within 100 yards of your house without permission, since he IS the property owner where the blind is, but one thing I've learned is never trust OUR interpretation of the law - contact the DNR and make sure.

11/13/17 @ 11:45 AM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

I'm pretty sure it's the owner of any occupied building that they need permission from

Displaying 16 to 30 of 31 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE