DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Jerk move.

11/28/17 @ 6:09 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

Quit crying. If it was the DNR you deserved it, If it was someone trying to hunt leagally in that same area You deserved it. That simple. Stay within the law and things like this wouldn't happen.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 123 posts
12/10/17 @ 10:30 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Hats off to you guys who hunt public land.  If that's all I had, I'd sell all my guns and buy a nicer boat!

12/10/17 @ 1:33 AM
Brad
User since 6/19/01

About 10 years ago, I shot a nice 8 point buck on mid afternoon of the opener on a  VERY popular track of public land in south central wisconsin.  Typically, I would have waited until after dark to start dragging it out, but I had a family obligation that I did not want to miss, so I started dragging.  I was hoping to get back to the truck and on the road before the season closed, but I didn't make it.  After the season closed, several guys passed me on their way out.  A couple of them asked me if I was the guy they saw on the way in "X" spot on the way in.... Yup...

Fast forward to the next season.  I show up at 3 am, first truck in the lot and walk out.  Sure as you know what, there is an empty stand in a tree 20 yards from where I shot my buck the previous year!  I hunted that spot for 10 or 12 years straight by getting my dead butt out of bed at 1 a.m. and getting there first.  No way in the wide world of sports was I going to find another spot, so I put my stand up and waited for the fireworks. 

Around 5:30 a.m. I saw 3 hunters walking towards me.  As I always, do, I shined my light into the tree above me.  INSTANTLY, one of the 3 guys started to swear.  A lot.  He carried on for about 30 seconds - I was about to tell him to shut his pie hole or I was going to call the police.  Thankfully, one of the guys from his group spoke up and set him straight about first come, first serve on public land.  Pretty much told him to stfu and find a new spot.

No one will ever convince me that it is OK to leave stands on public property.  I should not have to worry about a situation like this (or worse) when I do everything right.

12/9/17 @ 8:29 PM
LyleP
User since 6/27/09

A forum by definition is a place to to express idea's, and opinions.  Not trash people who disagree with you.  With that said I vote leave one stand on public for a 14 day period.  Identified with name and number.  I disagree with the claiming ownership to the area argument.  Do you own it for the day if you are sitting in your climber?  No you don't.  Grant it I don't know what happens down south on public land or how small it really is.  Fact is laws change depending on how we as sportsman choose.  So I still have my opinion and those who don't agree are just wrong.  That was a joke.  Thanks everyone for your time and thought.  But remember no need to vent and call names.

12/8/17 @ 2:34 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

jkb- As you can see from all the posts from hunters hunting public the proper way, it can be done, and it is being done by many, many hunters.

Yes, it is more work.

Yes, all of us that do it would much rather have a ladder stand already set up in place, but we do it the legal, ethical way that doesn't screw other hunters over.

If people would stop thinking only of themselves...well things would be better.

12/8/17 @ 2:21 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I primarily use a climber and shoot most of my deer out of them.  I don't have a Lone Wolf but its still quick and quiet to climb up a tree.  Any deer that could hear me climbing already ran away from me walking in.  I've had deer come by within 5 minutes of climbing already.  I've even climbed down without spooking deer that were in easy ear-shot.

That said though, I have no problem with stands up north.  Its actually kind of nice to know where guys will be sitting.  But there is enough woods that even if someone is in a spot, I can easily go down and cut them off yet.  Everyone can really cut each other off in the big woods for the most part.  That's sort of gun hunting in general though too.  I just find it better than having it get light out and seeing a guy 50 yards away.  That happened to me on public properties in the NE part of the state, but I think there were just more people there in general than where I am now.

If stands are a big deal, you can always walk and sit.  I could have shot a deer this year doing that, its plenty effective. I've shot a number doing that over the years and you won't get cold.

I do not like seeing stands around my house on state public though.  It is illegal and its clear to see why, more people around by far.  Anywhere closer to population will be like that. 

12/8/17 @ 2:04 PM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01

It must be a miracle or just dumb luck that most of us aren't dead already. I mean, attempting to use a climber in the dark? Have you ever heard of such foolishness? Isn't that what head lamps are for? Isn't that what quiet climbing stands like Lone Wolf is for? Isn't that what safety straps are for? I can set up and be 25' up in a tree in about 2 minutes without making hardly a sound. Like some guys said previously, maybe some of these guys shouldn't be hunting from stands if it's too much work to carry one in like a back pack. Maybe some of these guys shouldn't be in the deer woods period if the dark is a challenge for them. Public land should not be a dumping ground for "disposable" deer stands, nor should it be an opportunity for slobs to claim squatter's rights to areas simply because they put a stand in a tree. There are hundreds of trees I have hunted from long before anyone ever thought about putting a stand in them, but you'll never know that and you won't find me claiming it to be "my" area because I remove my stand always. At least if you have a portable stand, if someone beats you to an area, you can move on to option B, I have never seen that happen when a guy is expecting to hunt "his" ladder stand. All you end up having is confrontation. I don't feel sorry for folks who leave their crap out in the woods and expect it to be there when they get back, only to find it missing or damaged. Yes it's crap, because no one with gear of any value would do such a stupid thing. Take your chances if you so choose, but don't complain.

12/8/17 @ 12:44 PM
LyleP
User since 6/27/09

I was just watching Cold Mountain,  I think this is just how the Civil War started LOL.

12/8/17 @ 11:59 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

i think everyone should just throw in the towel and quit.

12/8/17 @ 11:22 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

...and we all know it's impossible to kill a deer unless you're sitting in a ladder stand. ??

12/8/17 @ 10:17 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

The situation was addressed by modifying the blanket rule by allowing two tree stands per customer number on state owned lands north of highway 64. But why stop there? I think it’s rediculous that hunters have to drag a deer out, usually well after dark, scarring god knows how many deer away. Plus it’s just plain dangerous. We need to address the ATV situation so hunters can drive them anywhere with impunity like the private land hunters can do. It’s all about equal opportunity, right? 

12/7/17 @ 9:34 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

This sort of got hilarious.  I can tell there are the southern part hunters who probably can't leave anything on public lands and the northern part hunters who can legally do so in many places.  You all butt heads and never point out where you hunt, makes it kind of comical.  Always lots of incorrect assumptions with these threads.

National Forest - legal

State land north of 64 - This was recently allowed

County lands - Rules vary by county.

MFL Open - illegal

Not that hard if you just look up rules.....  Like was said earlier, its more likely legal in the north because of lower hunter densities.

12/7/17 @ 8:07 AM
Brad
User since 6/19/01

The simple fact of the matter is this - placing private property on public land CAN lead to a feeling of ownership and CAN create conflict.  Not everyone that wants to leave a stand on public property is a jerk, or would fail to behave properly if another person showed up in the area.  But I shouldn't have to worry about those that would.

Carry it in.  Carry it out.  Or buy your own.

12/6/17 @ 10:00 PM
LyleP
User since 6/27/09

Hans now you too.  Just don't get it.  I never said I put up multiple stands and cut shooting lanes.  I said that are circumstances that leaving a portable should be allowed.  But folks like yourself are close minded.  I hate slobs also,  always picking up after people.  Guess this is not a place for an honest discussion because folks like you just see everything how you want.  That' not sportsman like.  Stay on your land and enjoy.  Incredible, no patience for this anymore.

12/6/17 @ 8:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Lyle, I have hunted 8 sq. mile tracts in NW WI close to my uncle's farm. There are some fire lanes but very few and far between.  They exist.  Just gotta find them.  Luckily, I just hunt the farm the last few years as we have good sign.  No traffic and an old tractor with a bucket to help with the extraction when I get one.

The tracts are located at....schhhh, schhh, I'm,,,I'm losing, are you there?...schhh, losing signal!

12/6/17 @ 8:04 PM
LyleP
User since 6/27/09

Jkb where in WI is there an 8 square mile area that doesn't have a logging road?  I have hunted both National Forests and can't say I've seen that.  Guess I will have to study the Gazetter harder.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 123 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE