MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Was the fishing better in Wisconsin "Back when?"

3/7/17 @ 4:58 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I've personally been fishing since around 2000 and don't have enough years on the water to know whether or not fishing is better or worse nowadays.

I hear stories....I see pictures....but I truly wonder, was the fishing better back when, or is it better now? Or, is it about the same? Why do you say/think so? Chime in!!!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 89 posts
3/8/17 @ 12:00 AM
denesox
denesox
User since 2/1/06

Fishing went through a hard decline in the 70's and bottomed out in the early 80's IMO.   Since then, water quality standards, combined with the start of catch and release and selective harvest has greatly improved fishing in most places, especially in and around heavily populated areas.

Places that had few to no fish back then are now often teeming.   Fish, that back in the late 80's, were considered "once in a lifetime", are now caught on a regular basis.

Yes, technology is better, but angling pressure is also significantly higher, which shows that the attitudes of most and rules implemented and the improved water quality are allowing for healthier fisheries that produce consistently better fish than 30 years ago.

Its my belief that we are in the second "golden age" of fishing.

In the 80's a 5-6lb bass was almost a once in a lifetime fish, I've caught as many as 10 fish that big or bigger on some of the most popular Waukesha lakes on a single outing.

Was the fishing better in Wisconsin
3/7/17 @ 10:59 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

That's a good point.

Also, to the comment about it being easier to find good structure, I do agree. However, think back 30 years ago, if you found that good structure, you would be the first to find it and perhaps loads of unsuspecting fish. Now, finding the good structure, well, 100 other people have fished that structure in the last week. So, it's an interesting point. Yes, it's easier to find that structure. But, it's not really unique structure like it used to be. 

By far, there have to be more people fishing these days. But, no more lakes than ever before of course. But, the catch and release mentality has grown which has helped. 

3/7/17 @ 10:51 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

People overlook the worst of the technology; the internet.  Overall size and health of fish is probably better but I think numbers of fish caught are down and I think its from pressure more that from lack of fish.

3/7/17 @ 9:52 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

It is species and fishery specific.  

While I agree that muskie populations are stronger I strongly disagree that they are skinny.  On certain bodies of water that is the case but there have been some awfully heavy fish that Vilas Cty lakes have kicked out over the past 10-15 years.  

It's been said already that technology has improved and that can't be overlooked but two other factors that have led to a change are 1) more restrictive bag and size limits and 2) a stronger catch and release ethic.  6 years ago I took a couple buddies of mine out to a Vilas County lake and they tag teamed on an absolutely gorgeous 48" tiger muskie that was very thick.  Sent a pic of it to a few others in my circle who fish that lake and we were able to come up with 6 different pictures of that fish being caught prior to when it found it's way into my net.  6 times before that day it was caught and could've been legally harvested.  Who knows how many times it was caught after it swam off for us.  

3/7/17 @ 6:36 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I'm not a well versed mult-species fisherman, so take this for what is worth. I've been fishing panfish and walleye almost exclusively since I was about 7. I've fished the Wolf River for WB and eyes for about the last 20 years. I'm in my early 30's.

I never have been nor will I ever be a trophy fisherman, I don't fish to put mounts on a wall. I like eating fish. However, that doesn't mean I take small fish or keep pre spawn females.

As far as I can tell the Bago system is getting better, or maybe I'm just getting better at catching those fish.

Most of my fishing has been the upper and lower parts of the Root River and the Racine piers and harbors. 

The absolute best fishing of my life will never go back to the way it was when I was a kid and teenager. Memories of filling buckets upon buckets of Lake Michigan Yellow Perch are now a pipe dream. I feel like I have to travel and search for fishing like it was when I was young. Bass and northern were never on my radar because of my love of panfish. I now know better, northern are tasty but I can't speak to their abundance.

Current day it's still panfish,  walleyes, and salmon that get my attention the most. I would like to get better at the salmon thing though.

With that said the last couple of years I've began to diversify my targeted species and I still think fishing overall was "better" when I was younger. 

3/7/17 @ 5:21 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Walleye fishing in Vilas county is not what it once was, there are a lot of musky's now but they are thin and skinny. 

Walleye fishing on the Winnebago system just keeps getting better.

3/7/17 @ 5:08 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

Back in 67 when we were one of the first to build a cabin on the lake fish seemed more plentiful and bigger.  Lake got developed and more people fishing it. While pan fishing good as ever, Northern are much fewer.  Other parts of the state like depere, bay of green bay and rivers flowing in have become outstanding in what it used to be. Things change and go with the flow!

Displaying 61 to 75 of 89 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE