SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Guide Tipping

5/4/16 @ 7:14 AM
INITIAL POST
craig voight
User since 12/19/10

I have booked my first ever fishing guide to fish NW. Wisc. lake.

My question is: What are the "Standard " or Expected Tip you should give your guide ? I know your personal satisfaction with the guide plays into it , but is there a specific expectation ?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts
8/22/16 @ 5:27 PM
D Big Tuna
D Big Tuna
User since 10/10/09

Craig , sorry this turned into a totally ridiculous thread for you . This is why so many don't post any more . 50 bucks would probs be plenty , if your on vacation and you have your son along and the guide hits a home run for you , 100 bucks wouldn't be out of the question if your feeling it  . What would you pay to get your son hooked on fishing for life ? If you have fun 25-50 is no insult for sure .if you have a lemon , no need to tip . There are a million guides out there . 75 percent of them probably shouldn't be  Hope you have a good time ! Do your research on your choice before hand and you will have fun ! Good luck

7/29/16 @ 3:14 PM
basscaster
User since 6/21/01

I get discounts too, I am trying to put $$ in their pockets at the last minute. I never reserve a guide for the weekend,I usually ask when I am on a trip if they have any half days planned this week and me or we will take the afternoon for a discount.

7/29/16 @ 3:06 PM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
User since 6/18/13

I've hired a few different guides over the years. Usually it was to get a little "bump in knowledge" of that particular body of of water and/or recent patterns etc. I do tip them, usually around 50$ per day.I have actually had guides reduce their daily rates when I've been a repeat customer. I'd rather have that and allow me to tip them extra, than have the industry just add it to the up front costs. There have been times when (a) my boat was unavailable to me (b) had multiple people on a trip(needed another boat-experience) etc and most guides are instructive,friendly people. 

I think it's a common courtesy to tip people that are providing me services. And yes I have tipped auto mechanics,a plumer,and a few other people before, that don't usually see any. Those instances were for what I perceived as special work/effort etc. If an individual doesn't feel the need to do so, well that's his perogative. I also have not tipped a guide once. He didn't do a good job IMO and didn't deserve one. He also shorted me over 2 hours of fishing time. I don't use his service anymore.

I also had a guide(who posts on the WI fishing reports) not even show up to the dock. Called him to find out he thought we had canceled but realized it was probably the "next days" client. Said he'd be there in 20....after 1/2 hour I left and didn't bother calling again. I haven't singled him out(in public) but I tell my friends(and other potential clients) to avoid him. I've heard similiar things about him from other sources also. I imagine he won't have a very successful service. Thankfully it was a last minute trip and I didn't pay him.

7/29/16 @ 12:37 PM
basscaster
User since 6/21/01

If they are friendly and catch a bunch of Fish We give them a $50, if they put suntan lotion on our backs all day we give them a xxxxxx.

6/5/16 @ 10:13 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10
See, I don't believe you care as much about the environment as you claim. If you did, you would have used that in conjunction with the tourney's, guides, etc right away. You deliberately singled out two areas to target. Either that, or you're using those because the topics were already posted and provided an avenue to hop on your soapbox.
6/5/16 @ 10:13 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

We're finally approaching the truth here... abolish one thing at a time until we're europe, where only the elite can afford to hunt, or fish prime streams, etc

6/4/16 @ 7:42 PM
amaranthlost
User since 5/31/10

Might as well eliminate trapping licenses while you're at it. They run a business based off the public resources with the exception that there is no CPR in their business model.

Oil, timber companies, mining, etc are not comparable to a guide's work. Those companies business model do nothing but remove from the resource. Guides teach and provide access to nature that a lot of parties would not otherwise have.

6/4/16 @ 7:32 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10

"deducting expenses for tax purposes" sounds like you've never run a business and think you get everything back you expense.  

Time to get rid of driving schools also - can you believe the gall of these companies that use our public roads to make money teaching people to drive?  And then on top of that deducting their business expenses!  They're just raping our public roads.

6/4/16 @ 3:19 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10

I fished with a guide out of Tampa Bay about 15 years ago.  We were there with the tackle company  worked for at the time.  We were only allowed to use the soft plastic bait we sold and all the guides said flat out that the bite was on live bait but they would do their best to get us on fish.

The bite was very hard and not many fish were caught by any of the 30 or so boats with us but that was to be expected due to the limitations on the guides.  Most guides said flat out that it was going to be tough but they went all over fishing from the boat, wading on the mangro areas, showing us the Tampa area by boat and in general showing us a good time even though the fishing was poor.  Except our guide who did the same 400 yd drift for 8 hours so he didn't have to burn up anymore gas than required.  Not only did we not tip him we made sure that we used every piece of the 2000 or so soft plastics we took along with us so he didn't have any of it for free.  You don't always have to catch a lot of fish to have a good trip.

For the guy who says they're raping the resources - you're an idiot!  Every person going with them has their own license.

6/4/16 @ 12:03 PM
esoxal
User since 6/29/01

Most first mate on great lakes trips and many of those assisting big name ice operations don't get paid other than tips so you need to understand each situation and treat it appropriately.  Fished one time with a very well known guide in NE WI and even though we caught fish felt he didn't earn a tip from us.  We corresponded with him several times before the trip and specifically requested that he show us as much of the river as possible and explain the seasonal trends and techniques.  The day of the trip we met him and he took us to what I would consider an obvious community spot and we stayed in that 100 yards of the river using one technique.  At the landing at the end of the day we settled up and he was obviously upset that we didn't tip him which I thought was appropriate as he did not do what we had asked him to.  The next day we went exploring ourselves and duplicated the success of the previous day in several areas using multiple techniques.  I believe you pay a guide to learn and go on a charter boat to take a bunch of fish home.  Very different situations and types of experiences.  Know what to expect and make sure your guide is clear about that.  Tip anyone that provides you with exceptional service and a great experience.  They will appreciate it and will remember you the next time as well.

6/3/16 @ 6:39 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

I hope some of these people arent reproducing. I have a 17' boat that I use inland, and do alot of inland fishing, but when I want to go out on lake MI for salomon for example I'm not going to buy all the gear down riggers and such to do it 1 time a year.I hire a guide. I always let my concious be the guide for the tip. I have never felt like I had too as the guids I have been with never even asked.I think its just good ediquit.

5/19/16 @ 10:57 AM
Capt. Jarrid Houston
Capt. Jarrid Houston
User since 5/24/16

I agree, if no fish are caught, tipping can be challenging....  Fishing is fishing, but not providing fish to clients is unacceptable!  We have had slow days like anyone else, but fortunate for us, we have never had a "skunkola" trip on our books.  Tight Lines,

JH

5/18/16 @ 8:23 AM
lvtofish
User since 2/2/05

LB...you don't believe in buying knowledge?  you didn't go to college then.

I would say 25-50$ is enough of a tip.  unless it is an exceptional tip and you catch a Personal Best...then maybe more.  Usually you by the end of the day, you know how much you should tip.

5/14/16 @ 10:02 AM
craig voight
User since 12/19/10

Thank you everybody for your insight. A lot of good thoughts to consider!

thanks again

5/13/16 @ 2:10 PM
canoefish
User since 5/11/06

When I hire my musky guide every year, I tip a dollar per inch.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 43 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE