MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

FALLING OUT OF A BOAT

8/20/18 @ 12:15 PM
INITIAL POST
burroak
burroak
User since 6/26/01

Someone made a post about falling out of their boat while fishing and there was no ladder on the boat.  This is why it is important to never have your trolling motor on constant.  If your motor has tilt/trim there is an easy solution.  Go to the back of the boat (hopefully the motor will be off) and climb on to the motor.  Hit the tilt/trim button and this should lift you out of the water.  If you are an older fisherman like me (74), always wear your life jacket,

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
8/23/18 @ 9:48 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

At any age and with any swimming skill level, you should wear a lifevest. Current can overtake any human and someone hitting their head and being unconscious will not be able to swim

8/23/18 @ 9:13 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

The self inflate models use a capsule that dissolves when it gets wet. This type has proven not to be very reliable.

Mustang makes a model with H.I.T that deploys automatically in 4” of water, plus it has a pull cord to to manually inflate. This is the safest and most reliable model you can buy. The DNR uses this model of vest. They are more pricey, but worth the money in my opinion.

8/23/18 @ 8:52 AM
wini
User since 3/27/06

Given my age, I purchased an inflatable life jacket about 4 years ago. Very light,, easy to wear and comfortable. Sorry I didn't buy one a long time ago. Only complaint is it self inflates but  it also has a pull cord. Pull cord is easily pulled by accident while fishing if it gets caught on something. I had to partially velco it into  the vest. I highly recommend one for anyone in a boat!

8/22/18 @ 8:41 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

LOL, Ive never heard or read that one Migr8r. 

As we get older the chances of a fall defintiely increase.

8/22/18 @ 8:21 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

“Anytime you hear of a drowning they always say and he wasn't wearing a life jacket.”

And usually with their zipper down. Use a bucket. 

8/22/18 @ 5:19 PM
bassball
User since 7/25/07

Anytime you hear of a drowning they always say and he wasn't wearing a life jacket. 

8/21/18 @ 7:53 AM
port1042
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/12

Also consider this. If you use the "kill switch" on a lanyard when your boating (and you should), the passengers in the boat can't run the motor to get back to you if you fall out and pull the switch with you. I keep a second kill switch key hanging on the motor mount just in case.

8/20/18 @ 5:56 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

A few years ago a buddy fell out of my boat. It was hilarious. He has a decent muskie come in at boat side, sets the hook but didn’t connect with the fish. His momentum carried him backwards into the water. His rod/reel combo was valued at over $500 and was floating. The hat he was wearing was a Brewer hat signed by every member of the ‘82 team and that was floating. He was thrashing around like crazy. I quickly assessed what to save first and the first thing I grabbed was the hat, then the rod, and finally him.  

We still laugh our butts off about that one. 

8/20/18 @ 4:27 PM
forspencers
User since 1/30/08

boy o boy did this ever so happen to me just last year!!! i have a procraft 180 dc pro bass boat so naturally we do a lot of casting up to the shoreline especially. my son and i were fishing a wooded shore, and he got his lure stuck in the shore line wood. we always pull up and retrieve the expensive rapalas we throw. i am sitting in the seat up front and trolled up to the lure on a branch sticking out. grabbed the branch and it was rotten so it snapped like a potato chip and forward i went right over the side of the boat. i was sinking very fast. i pushed up twice really hard and grabbed the front of the boat.it was way too high in the front to pull myself back in so i kept thinking like....how in the world am i gonna get back in the boat! i finally said the boat is sitting very low in the back, and if i put my foot on the whale tail, i could do this....lucky i have one. i put my foot on it and hit the trim while my son pulled and i got back aboard. luckily it worked out but as good as i can swim, i was still scared. the good thing was we went in to changed my soaked clothes and went right back to the same spot and continued to catch plenty fish. what an experience.

8/20/18 @ 3:44 PM
Annes Regret
User since 7/7/11

Tuffy2

No one can. That's what I tell everybody. What temp you can you survive ?  Maybe 60; maybe A big 60+.

8/20/18 @ 2:20 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I always wear a life jacket, plus I have a boarding ladder on the back of my boat. $200 is cheap insurance to save your life. I’m 74 also and I don’t think that I could use the outboard to get back in the boat, especially when the water is 50 degrees.

8/20/18 @ 2:00 PM
Annes Regret
User since 7/7/11

Always wear your life jacket pretty much sums it up no matter what your age.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE