SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Electric Knives

8/3/17 @ 1:04 PM
INITIAL POST
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Does anyone know of a GOOD quality electric knife?  I use Mister twisters for YEARS and now the motors are slow,  blades dull and all plastic gears.  I need something to cut through freaking 17 inch walleyes for Gods sakes.  The new Mister Twisters struggle, it's pathetic how stuff nowadays just isn't made how they were years back.  I have an old Mister Twister that is 15 years old,  motor sounds better and cuts faster than the new ones. I'd pay $100 for a decent knife that will carve like butter through a fish.  I' thinking about just buying a cheapie from WalMart and see how they cut.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
12/30/17 @ 6:21 PM
wtw_fisherman
User since 8/12/09
The American angler withe the skinny blade is the best I have seen. just google it.
12/21/17 @ 10:03 AM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

I own 2 rapala knives.  1st one I got as a wedding gift - 14 years ago.  Still works, but the button stays on.  Replaced with a new rapala knife 2 or 3 years ago.  Works for my needs. 

I use for salmon, walleye and pannies.  For the cost, no complaints. 

12/17/17 @ 7:43 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

LeviM , depending on which battery/charger you have, check the charger for a button , you have to disharge the battery to get a full charge 

www.rapala.com/rapala/knives/knife-accessories/deluxe-cordless-fillet-knife-battery-charger/P019.html

12/17/17 @ 10:06 AM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Haven't used mine since my last trip to Erie in 1995, I've never liked them and believe me I've filleted many fish over the years. My old Rapala's  4 and 6 inch knife's  work well maybe not quite as fast but with a good edge you waste far less meat and have none of the problems mentioned here. Call me old school if you like, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it !!

12/16/17 @ 9:54 PM
LeviM
LeviM
PRO MEMBER User since 2/25/12

I recently was given the cordless Rapala knife and it’s junk. Had it three months and the battery won’t hold a charge. Have to leave it plugged in and even then it’s a pooch. Previously had the Berkley and worked well, only complaint was it overheating if you pushed it. 

12/16/17 @ 6:33 PM
GOT
GOT'EM FIRST
User since 6/9/05

I have a Black and Decker 9" Stainless Steel Blade Electric Knife. What I like about this particular knife is that the blade is 1) 9" Stainless Steel and the blade never needs to be sharpened. I'm a Great Lakes angler and have used this particular knife for well over 15 years, I have cleaned lots of Chinook Salmon, Coho, Brown Trout, Rainbow (Steelhead) Trout etc. I have used this knife on Walleye, Crappie, Perch. 2) It has a nice comfort grip handle. This knife is the cat's meow. It gets the job done well. 3) Price, you can't beat that. Walmart is selling it for under $12.00. What a steal....Just take care of it properly and it will serve your needs for a very long time. To this day I still have this knife and wouldn't trade it for anything different. I have seen a lot of anglers over the years  burn out expensive cheap crap knives, while mine is still going. Keep it away from getting wet at the cleaning station and you'll have a friend forever.... 

8/5/17 @ 9:50 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

oddly enough the best electric knife I ever used was a Hamilton Beach we got for a wedding present for carving ham/turkey/etc....yea ok that was 46 years ago, who knows now....have had the American Angler for 25 years but she is starting to get pretty hot after 15 fish...bought new blades a couple times is all

8/4/17 @ 7:36 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I'll second what's been said about the American Angler fillet knives. A quality product that is worth the money.

8/4/17 @ 7:23 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I own two Rapala electrics.  One can run on a 12v battery, cig plug, or electricity with the adapter and the other one is electricity only.  Thought I'd use the battery one more often but I find myself cleaning fish at home 99 percent of the time.  I like the electric one more than the battery - it's just a bit more powerful. I've had it for almost 15 years and I use it for all the fish I clean.  It's got a smaller blade and a large blade and unless i'm cleaning a northern or salmon I don't need the larger blade.

I liked the electric one so much that I got my dad one a number of years ago.  His is not nearly as good as mine.  the button on it does not press easily, which makes it harder to use.  I don't know why, it's the same knife and everything, but it feels totally different.

Also, I only take the fillets off the bone with the electric.  I still like using a plain old Rapala fillet knife to take them off the skin.  Been using that knife since I started filleting fish when I was 8 years old, so it's going on 30 years!

8/4/17 @ 7:12 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I have a buddy that buys the walmart specials for $10-12 but he said recently they all switched to plastic gears too.  I was looking at both mentioned,  I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the same ole story as Mister Twister.  

My old MT knife has gone through 1000's of fish,  that thing still works better than the new ones.  How sad...send more crap to china.  Not that rapala isn't or the others...but those MT must be made in the worst sweat shop by 7 year olds.  Horrible product.  I know why Walmart can sell them for $20.  Fleet still has em for $29.  highway robbery.

thanks or the reply's.  I'll buy one or the other or maybe both.

8/3/17 @ 10:29 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

I'll second what Red Rider said. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

8/3/17 @ 7:17 PM
EZ
User since 7/3/01

Rapala has fairly recently come out with a high power electric knife that is the best by far of all I've tried. Had a chance to use my buddy's in Canada in May, and you notice the difference immediately. They normally go for 75 bucks or so, but if you watch sales and promotions, can get one for 50 to 60 bucks. I've tried others, but this one excels. Funny as it may sound, a $12 Black and Decker from WalMart is decent....use it up and toss it every 3 to 4 yeats.

8/3/17 @ 4:36 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

Had a couple of the Mr. Twister electric 20 plus years ago and they were garbage. Neither lasted long enough to need new blades. Switched to an American Angler and got better than 18 years out of it. Spring walleye, countless perch and gills. When that finally gave up the ghost I couldn't find another so I got a Rapala electric. 3 years so far, spring Wolf River eyes, some Michigan salmon, plenty of whitefish and a few piles of white bass for the smoker and still going strong on the first set of blades. They do need replacing though. Works great on the eyes to fillet and skin. All perch and gills are now tumble scaled and sharp Rapala 7" knife filleted off the bone. Once tumbled and scaled I can sharp knife fillet the panfish as quickly as an electric and a lot cleaner as well as less waste. Been using the tumbler for 16 years now.

8/3/17 @ 2:31 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01

American Angler,,,you'll never look for another. Thats what most walleye guys have out Ohio around Erie.

8/3/17 @ 2:18 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have two of the Rapala electrics.  I use them on crappies to salmon.  One is over 10 years old and the other is maybe around 7.  So neither of them are "new" but both work very well for what I use them for.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE