SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Buying/selling lead jigs

3/20/18 @ 7:06 PM
INITIAL POST
Walleye Guy 06
User since 2/11/16

Hey guys. Curious on how many of you would be interested in buying homemade jigs. Been making them for a few years and thinking about possibly selling them. I know I’m not going to make thousands of dollars doing it but it’s always been something to pass the time in the winter for me and figured I could make a few bucks doing it. I also can tie bucktail jigs. Or am I just wasting my time and effort? Is it just easier for everyone to go to Fleet Farm and buy a bunch instead of ordering them? Thoughts and constructive criticism would be appreciated! 

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/20/18 @ 1:52 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

If you do it, use high quality components. Gamakatsu hooks, anything else should be the best your can find. If people want cheap they can find that online. 

4/11/18 @ 8:50 PM
Walleye Guy 06
User since 2/11/16

Yeah I agree 100% with everyone saying that I won’t make a killing or a living on it. Just figured since I’m doing it, I might as well sell some just to cover costs of supplies mainly. I’ve got enough lead to make 1000’s so really from there it’s my time and some paint. Thanks for the advice guys. 

4/11/18 @ 8:46 PM
Walleye Guy 06
User since 2/11/16

Yeah I agree 100% with everyone saying that I won’t make a killing or a living on it. Just figured since I’m doing it, I might as well sell some just to cover costs of supplies mainly. I’ve got enough lead to make 1000’s so really from there it’s my time and some paint. Thanks for the advice guys. 

3/30/18 @ 12:26 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
My buddies brother in law makes his own jigs. He makes some good stuff and has the time to do it. He obviously does it for himself not to make $$$. He does sell some just to people he knows(friends, relatives, co workers) which pretty much just helps out on his material costs a little. It would be alot of work to turn a significant profit from it I think.
3/30/18 @ 11:11 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

I tried this years and years ago when good quality jigs were not readily available and plastic was still catching on. Still have a few cards of hair jigs I packaged up. I still pour lead heads for myself because I refuse to pay what they want for inferior heads with hooks too small.

If you want to give it a try I say go for it. Hang your shingle out and see what happens. You may very find out it works for you. Especially with all the various mold available today. I enjoy doing this to pass the time as well.

Good Luck.

3/30/18 @ 11:04 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

A ton of work indeed. More than you'd think.

Have you guys seen what some of the custom musky baits go for?

$70-$80 for a bucktail?

I've seen over $200 for a custom painted wood bait. I guess people must be buying them. Not me, I'm not throwing a bait that costs more than my rod. One backlash away (amateur here) from losing it.

3/30/18 @ 10:34 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Jigs are so darned cheap and come in nice durable colors;  I kind of agree with the previous poster. When I was 11 my buddy was melting lead outside on his patio using a can and some charcoal to make sling shot ammo. We were doing pretty good until the molten lead spilled, going into a crack where it then sprayed up, burning one eye and some of his face. His mom told me to go home after that. "I kind of agree ",but got a cheap bell sinker mold and made some of those. Now I've got 3 different jig molds and a bunch of long shanked jig hooks thru the mail and pour my own custom jigs for plastic baits. I also love to make my own french spinners and some of the bigger musky metal jobs, so I can retire and make a ton of money !     .....just kidding. I do it for fun and I sometimes go fishing too.

3/29/18 @ 5:55 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

I know a guy that did it years ago.  It's a lot of work.  If you want income, forget about it.  If you want to try it for a hobby, then go for it.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE