SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

3 walleye limit on Winnebago

2/28/18 @ 2:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Tealioitis
User since 4/5/13

Up for debate at the spring hearing this year is a reduction to a three fish walleye limit on the system.

I like it as studies have shown there is a high catch rate of walleyes on the system, especially immature females.  Look at battle on Bago, how many fish were brought in over the slot, not that many. The only thing that protected those 16 to 20 inch fish out there till last summer was the huge Shad hatch in 2016.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 267 posts
4/10/18 @ 11:27 AM
Bigjim4cats
User since 12/28/17
if any of you making your posts live in FDL county, apparently you didn’t go to the meeting last night.
4/10/18 @ 10:45 AM
rubline
User since 10/17/04

I agree with long barrels 2020 will be to late.With these low water levels and lack of forage they are taking a pounding and there will be a price to pay soon.Look at posts on facebook,lake link all  you see are coolers full of fish,posts like  {   just hammering the walleye! Limits every day out this week!  fishing this easy there wont be any walleyes to  debate future management! }I ask my self if you feel that way stop taking limits....I guess its up to us as fisherman I have reduced my limit to 3 or less if any make it back to the lake..

4/10/18 @ 9:55 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

Buckshot I agree, I do not fish bago mutch any more, but it makes no differance to me if the limit was 3 or 2 for that matter.I do not fish for food, ya I like a meal here and there I did not spend all of this cash on a boat with the thinking I would make out money wise.I did it because I love to fish.

4/10/18 @ 8:44 AM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

I regularly take 100 mile trips just to fish a certain body of water and a 3 fish bag limit is not going to stop me from fishing a good body of water.  People are getting hung up on the fish being taken during the spawn.  I do agree I wish there was a reduced bag limit and slot limit for the spring.  The walleye run is short compared to the rest of the season though and the numbers taken in the rivers are a drop in the bucket compared to the harvest in the summer and during ice season.  While the walleye fishing can be great during the run its not as good as when the fish pile out of the river in june/july and are stacked up on a feeding frenzy.  You have a lot more people targeting fish this time of year than during the run.  Then lets take ice fishing.  How often do you see groups 1000+ pounding a group of fish off merritt during ice season every weekend thousands of fisherman who are taking a lot of walleye out of the system.  I think its a good thing and can only make the fishing better.

4/10/18 @ 8:41 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

I support the DNR's assessment, period ...trained professionals who do this for a living and passion... not just someone posting feelings

4/10/18 @ 8:23 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

When the emphasis of a fishing trip is simply how many I can take home rather than the fishing experience itself that fisherman is the problem rather than the solution to a problem. To suggest bag limits, open or closed seasons and size limits based on their best interest rather than letting the fisheries managers/biologists determine them based on science is irresponsible at best. 

4/10/18 @ 8:06 AM
Jav1
User since 1/28/03

I feel it is time to protect the spawning period and close the season March 1 to the season opener with a 15" minimum. Maybe a slot of some kind would help the adult population. This would definitely help take the slaughter fest out out the issue.

My concern is why would I travel 70 miles to and from for three walleyes? I can go to Festival and buy fish cheaper. Maybe for those who live on the lake, in which many are at fault for double dipping, or live reasonably close may be OK with a three fish. 

Bottom line the Winnebago system is a walleye factory that has finally met it's match with the educated fisherman, technology of fishing equipment and fishing pressure and yes something needs to be done to protect the walleye but all I ask is look at it in a large prospective to be fair to all fish and fisherman and women.

4/10/18 @ 7:58 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

A rapid warm up and rain could help the low water levels, but as low as the river is it likely won’t be enough for a good spawn. The current catching frenzy is on par with what the hard water season provided and what we will see come open water on the lakes. 

4/10/18 @ 7:51 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I agree, 2020 will he to late!

4/10/18 @ 7:43 AM
nihsif
nihsif

wow

4/10/18 @ 6:48 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

If anyone has been fishing the Wolf,  you all are aware of the slaughter fest.  Mark my word,  by 2020 most won't be able to catch 3 anyway.  

This year is almost guaranteed to be a bad spawn.  We need rain,  BAD.  lots of it.

This limit should go in effect immediately.

4/8/18 @ 6:33 AM
samfox
User since 3/17/09

Well tomorrow we will get to vote on the question as written. Ten year average attendance is 5609 people across 72 counties. I trust we will make the right decision for everyone!! 

4/7/18 @ 12:18 AM
MT_Stringer
User since 11/10/15

Wow, the 3 questions on guides was an eye opener for me. Never realized they were that far under the radar, being it a business and what they charge.

I guess I would side with skeeter, as a professional you are to be held at a higher standard than the public. Although not illegal, him giving his fish away day after day would seem unethical from a professionals standpoint. Its only 5 a day, but that does feel like exploitation.

In my profession, I can't knowingly sell something "as is", because I am expected to know better. So...

4/6/18 @ 9:12 PM
nihsif
nihsif

Still 5, you'r good to go

4/6/18 @ 7:40 PM
thinblueline
User since 1/25/10

Haven’t followed this thread, and I’m not sure when there will be a vote or a determination by the DNR to go to a three fish limit, but would I be correct to assume it won’t happen in 2018 since the official printed 2018 regulations are already heavily distributed amongst the population? I just don’t want to come in off the lake with five fish and have a warden ask me if I knew the limit had been changed to three yesterday.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 267 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE