MORE
Walleye Fishing

Perch as a forage base for Walleyes.

6/13/23 @ 6:07 PM
INITIAL POST
netloss
User since 8/4/03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_c-1kEkFI4

We need to look at improving Perch spawning habitat on many lakes to help improve the Walleye populations.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
2/28/24 @ 8:15 PM
Jabberwalker
netloss
User since 8/4/03
WFT has not done any work to improve the Shad population. I would have to look up the numbers and ask why their population varies so much. Mike has always said we need to be Forage For Tomorrow on many bodies of water. I will ask him if he has more insights and can discuss it.
2/27/24 @ 6:11 PM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
Net loss, thank you. Has WFT ever stuck any effort in habitat for shad? I mean that in a good way. Just checking since the sturgeon suck them up.
2/10/24 @ 10:13 AM
netloss
User since 8/4/03
James D is correct. WFT funded a study in Northern Wisconsin that found the majority of Walleye fry ate Perch fry as their primary forage. 

WFT is not doing any Perch habitat work on the WInnebago system, the Perch numbers are very cyclical and we are focusing on many upriver marsh projects that help the Walleye populations in low-water years.
1/19/24 @ 8:29 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04
For some lakes, perch are 75% of a walleye diet in the warmer summer waters. (In-Fisherman magazine).
7/5/23 @ 3:40 PM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
Do you think walleyes for tomorrow will start doing perch restoration on Winnebago?
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE