SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

Grouse Reports ! ! !

9/12/03 @ 11:53 AM
INITIAL POST
150class
User since 8/24/01
Let us know where youre finding the birds, what were the conditions, what type of terrain.

Lets here some good dog stories as well.

Can we attach pictures in this forum now?

Displaying 76 to 90 of 2,602 posts
11/25/22 @ 8:14 AM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Ihookem, Oneida County. Not the quiet north woods it once was. 

11/24/22 @ 10:13 AM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Bowhunterguy, what county are you in? I am around the west side of Price and eastern Sawyer co. I can't stand those ATV's. They go where ever they want with no respect for anyone. 

11/23/22 @ 10:47 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

River;

That’s grouse hunting. I’ve had years where I hit everything I pointed at. Case in point; last year I shot 10 birds with 12 shells total on one trip. Last month, I shot three over five days and fired 27 shells. Not great. But always fun!

11/14/22 @ 7:08 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Ive done terrible shooting this year and today was a classic miss of another gimme. 3 shots down a wide open logging trail and all missed.  In the 2 years previous I would take too much time to aim and shoot and not get off a meaningful shot.  

Now this year is just the opposite where I  just point and shoot. I am probably shooting too high and behind. BUT ITS CALLED A SCATTERGUN FOR A REASON  .  

11/14/22 @ 4:05 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Thats awesome!  gorgeous dogs

11/14/22 @ 9:08 AM
Duffin
User since 12/16/10

The Bearded ladies had an exceptional hunt 

Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by Duffin
11/8/22 @ 4:48 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I agree with the ATV/UTV’s. They irritate the daylights out of me. The county land around me has basically turned into a racetrack for them. They run around locked gates, over berms, and are a ridiculous hazard on county highways. 

At least by me, they arrived on the landscape in huge numbers in 2020 when the north woods population exploded. Money and credit came easy for lots of people, and so came all the obnoxious toys. 

On the bright side, the way our economy is headed you’ll probably see a lot of these up for sale soon. 

11/8/22 @ 1:13 PM
cantworkgottafish
User since 5/8/10

Graceonpoint I couldn't agree more. 

Last weekend in Marinette county I could hear a ton of them going in one direction on a trail in the distance.  It seemed like a convoy that went on for a crazy long time.  As I hunted my way toward that trail and get near it I heard a some coming back the other way on the trail.  When I got in sight of the trail I saw a bunch go by and after a while I thought jeez how many are there?  So I started counting after quite a few had already passed.  I sh$t you not I counted another 108 all in one pack.  All revving engines, breaking the back tires loose, swerving around and tearing up the trail.

I guess they have an equal right to be there and it's great for the tavern owners.  

11/8/22 @ 11:14 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Anyone else annoyed by all the ATV/UTV traffic?  I hunt primarily Sawyer and Washburn counties its like being in a Mad Max movie some days, those dang RZRs can absolutely fly.  I'm not sure what the laws are but it appears to be the wild west.  I know gates don't seem to matter or an obvious bird hunter parked at the gate.  People just head on in.  

11/7/22 @ 4:30 PM
Partimer
Partimer
User since 12/3/11

Had a good day Saturday despite some wet and cold weather… ended up with 3 birds

Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by Partimer
11/2/22 @ 10:01 PM
WWYH
User since 5/24/16

When we hunted a couple weeks ago we found berries in 2 of 5 grouse harvested. A lot of areas we hunted did have those berries however. Not a ton but they were available. Most grouse were seen/heard under some type of spruce trees. 

11/2/22 @ 9:20 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

River_chaser:

That might be wintergreen. We found a huge plot of it in a new cover a couple of weeks ago. Grouse love it. I hunted the cover hard and bagged two birds loaded with the red berries. Bright red. 

Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by Birdyboy
11/2/22 @ 9:07 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

2 birds this week, big healthy birds too.  Both birds had red berrys in the crop.  Are those called hackberrys?  Plenty of bright red berries growing this year.

What are you guys finding in the crops?

10/30/22 @ 9:05 PM
fishingforcats
fishingforcats
User since 5/24/07

I decided to go deer hunting and hunt with my friends on public land. I found a gentleman hunting my tree. He said he’d be gone by tomorrow morning. So I grabbed my shotgun and went back to where I flushed grouse. I ran into a woodcock minutes from getting out of my truck. It flushed out into the open and I took a shot. I bagged by first woodcock.

Grouse Reports ! ! ! photo by fishingforcats
10/26/22 @ 8:36 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

WWYH. 

Cool report. I agree on the number of birds seen. We flushed a good number of birds. Better than last year or 2020. Also explored some new cover including an amazing clear cut I have driven past dozens of times the last 15 years or so. I kept driving past thinking nothing would be there. Finally backed the truck in and it was loaded with birds and the cover only got better the farther we went in!  Found another great spot right out our back door that I never knew existed. Locked into the GPS for the next trip. Half the fun of this trip was scouting new cover and putting new guys on birds. And I got a lot of training time with my pup.  I live for this time of year!

Displaying 76 to 90 of 2,602 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE