SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

GPS advice

11/11/18 @ 11:36 AM
INITIAL POST
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Hi all, looking for recommendations for a new GPS. I've only ever used a compass, but I feel a GPS would help me get to more remote cover. I've been considering mostly Garmin 62S but I'm looking for other suggestions. 

My main priority is satellite view. Garmin has the HuntView chips and Birdseye programs. Does anyone use these? How is the detail and resolution? I plan to use the satellite view to follow old logging trails, clearcuts, and identify potential cover while on the move. 

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up I'd plan to purchase in the next 2 weeks or so.

Thanks for the input!

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
11/12/18 @ 10:26 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
I have a Garmin 62 with the color screen that has worked well for me.  But I still always have a compass in my coat as back up.   When it kicks the bucket, I dont know that I would replace it.   I think smart phones along with the GPS and Hunting Apps are making GPS units somewhat obsolete.  I cant remember which App it is but it shows aerial photo, your location, along with ownership boundaries.   The app and the GPS in your phone will work even if you dont have cell service.
11/12/18 @ 7:14 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

I have a Garmin Rhino that is a few years old. I like it and the resolution is very good. Plus there is a radio and tracking function that makes it easy to locate and communicate with the guys you are hunting with. I think the tech has great improved over the last years so you can probably get an even better unit for less money. 

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE