LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

What's a good first fly rod/reel for small stream trout?

12/24/16 @ 11:10 PM
INITIAL POST
dux42
User since 10/30/11

Hey everyone, I was looking if I could get some input on a a good first fly rod and real. I have done a good amount with spinning gear the past few years but want to start to get into and try fly fishing. I mostly fish small streams in Central Wisconsin and near Duluth, MN where I go to school, so most trout are between 8-14 inches. I'm a college kid so I'm not trying to buy the best thing on the market but would still like to start with something decent. Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas! 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
7/13/17 @ 2:27 PM
road kill
User since 1/5/13

Echo Base rod 4wt

Echo ION reel

5/9/17 @ 6:19 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

Drive up to Park Falls.  

Stop in at the St. Croix factory store and tell them what you need in a rod.

They will have exactly what you need....at a price.

4/5/17 @ 2:24 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10

Hey dude, check this out. On your college budget this will get you through until you graduate, and can afford a St. Croix, or Elk River.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/shakespeare-combos-fly-combos/shakespeare-cedar-canyon-kit/1405321.html#specifications

Are you a member of TU? Your local chapter might have a loaner program, or swap meets.

4/4/17 @ 12:15 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

My first was a reddington trout set up.  8' 4 weight.  The shorter rod was nice for the small streams of southern wi.  For 100 bucks you are just about ready to go.  Picked it up at gander.

1/9/17 @ 7:50 PM
dux42
User since 10/30/11
Troy what brand of rod do you have? Also what type of reel did your pair it with? Thank you everyone for the help!
1/8/17 @ 8:42 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02

Almost all of my trout fishing is central WI small streams. My rod of choice is a 7' 3 weight. Its short enough that the canopy isn't often in your way yet long enough you can still get a decent drift. 

12/28/16 @ 9:51 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Love me some Central WI trout streams.  I never fly fished the ones I fished because it wouldv'e been impossible because how how tangled up with brush those streams were.  People are lazy and don't want to inconvenience themselves when fishing but holy crap, stuff like that produced.  It was like fishing on completely untouched water.  Anyway...

Watch the sales at those big box retailers.  You can find a 4/5 wt complete setup for less than $100 if you keep your eyes peeled.  I hate smaller fly reels that have a clicker in them.  It's a megaphone that tells strangers: "Hey! I'm fishing over here!"  I want to be stealthy, especially on those narrow Central WI streams.  My smaller reels are all Okumas.  They were on sale when I bought them and are quiet.  The 10/1wt reels are all the generic store brand.  

If you've never fly fished or are taking someone for the first time, don't let that first experience be on a woody, brushy stream.  You'll increase the possibility of getting frustrated.  Just grab a few different flies and head out to an area where bluegills are bedded up.  You'll be able to cast in an open are without snags in every direction.  It'll build confidence and you'll get the hang of casting a bit better.  

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE