MORE
Trout Fishing

Tiger trout

1/15/17 @ 6:04 PM
INITIAL POST
tomasz20
tomasz20
User since 11/25/16

such beautiful patterns and colours on these guys !! caught using a small jig and minnow

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
2/11/20 @ 6:26 PM
troutguy66
troutguy66
User since 10/13/19

4/17/19 @ 2:42 PM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I think the driftless is a primary spot for them because the driftless is a rare place east of the mississippi that has proper conditions for natural reproduction. The area has natural reproduction of brookies and browns and occasionally an accident happens.  Many areas struggle with natural reproduction in general for trout.  

4/17/19 @ 2:33 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

My understanding is that they are sterile hybrids of brookies/browns and since species don't cross-mate very often, they aren't very common. Everyone I've talked to who has caught one has done so in the driftless area so I was just wondering if there was something about this area making them more prevalent. I also read that they are more apt to cross-mate in streams more heavily populated with brookies.

Just a unique fish that I hope to see in person someday!

4/17/19 @ 8:14 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I know some areas of the country stock tiger trout but I've never heard of Wisconsin.  I've caught two in my life that reproduced naturally in the driftless area.  Quite a surprise when you catch one which makes them cooler.  Would be less cool if they were stocked and not a surprise.  

4/17/19 @ 8:05 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Tiger's are a brook/brown trout hybrid.  I've caught maybe 5 or 6 in 20+ years of fishing a small central WI stream.

4/16/19 @ 11:14 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Anyone know if tiger trout are present anywhere in Wisconsin other than the driftless area? No DNR stocking so I'd assume they aren't native to most areas.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE